5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm about to install a 2" rallitek lift and a rear swaybar, front swaybar, and an ecohitch. As my model is base, I do not get sway bars. However, I bought them from craigslist and want to put them in while I do the lift.

But I need some help ensuring I have the proper parts for sway bar, as well as confirmation that my plan is sound.

Starting with the rear sway bar:

I have the sway bar itself 20451FL000. It came with a Suspension Stabilizer Bar Bushing 20414 and Suspension Stabilizer Bar Bracket 20414.

Because of the lift, my understanding is that the Impreza link stabilizers are too short, and I must use Crosstrek's equivalent 20470FL010 & 20470FL000.

I think I also need to buy Bracket Complete Stabilizer L. (Left, Rear) 20476A and Bracket Complete Stabilizer R. (Right, Rear) 20476.

Following bolts/nuts will be required:

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
View attachment 24674
front sway bar = front stabilizer bar
I was going to say, base models should at least have a front sway/stabilizer bar but not a rear one. Just need to buy one for the back end and you’re halfway there to a sport model besides the “sport tuned” suspension.

I’m going that way too but I would probably go to your nearest Subaru dealer/mechanic and talk with them to make sure you have all the parts. It seems like you have all of them figured out already: sway bar, sway bar mounts, end links and associated nuts and bolts.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm about to install a 2" rallitek lift and a rear swaybar, front swaybar, and an ecohitch. As my model is base, I do not get sway bars. However, I bought them from craigslist and want to put them in while I do the lift.

But I need some help ensuring I have the proper parts for sway bar, as well as confirmation that my plan is sound.

View attachment 24669

I have the sway bar itself 20451FL000. It came with a Suspension Stabilizer Bar Bushing 20414 and Suspension Stabilizer Bar Bracket 20414.

Because of the lift, my understanding is that the Impreza link stabilizers are too short, and I must use Crosstrek's equivalent 20470FL010 & 20470FL000.

I think I also need to buy Bracket Complete Stabilizer L. (Left, Rear) 20476A and Bracket Complete Stabilizer R. (Right, Rear) 20476.

That concludes the rear.

Now the front sway bar:

View attachment 24668

It looks like the sway bar won't need any extra height, as the lift pucks go over the struts in B.

As such, I need Stabilizer Link ASS. (Left, Front) 20420B and Stabilizer Link ASS. (Right, Front) 20420A to connect the sway bar to the struts. Then I need to use Suspension Stabilizer Bar Bracket 20416 and Suspension Stabilizer Bar Bushing 20414 to the "support cromen".

Required bolts/nuts will be:
  • 4 Suspension Stabilizer Bar Bracket Bolt 901000355
  • 4 Fuel Tank Shield Nut 023808000
  • 2x Suspension Sway Bar Link Nut. Nut Flange M12. 902370063

How does that look? Any advice?
From the picture it looks like you have it correct....

Sway/stabilizer bar (# 20451) connects to the end link (# 20470A/B) and spindle using flanged nuts (# N370055). The bar is connected to the frame using bracket # 20476/A. The sway/stabilizer bar attaches to said bracket using a bushing (# 20414) and bushing bracket (# 20416). That assembly is held on by flanged nut # 0238S*A.

I don’t know where bolt # 0101S goes but it seems like it holds the sway bar bracket to the frame.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've done it and installed the rallitek 2" lift and the ecohitch trailer.

Here's my advice/tips for anyone doing the same:

You can do it with just 2 jack stands.

You want to have an Electric Ratchet Wrench or pneumatic equivalent, seriously it will save you a lot of work. I used this cheap one and it earned its keep: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0894L9F6Z

This video is very helpful and covers most of it:
For front struts, don't remove the top bolts in the engine bay until the end. In the video they remove the top bolts immediately and that is a mistake. Do that last.

When remounting the front struts, first thing you want to do is get them through the holes on top and get a bolt on so it holds it, then ratchet it down with electric wrench and do the others. Then you can mess around underneath. This is the way.

When doing the camber bolt, take a photo of it. I used a sharpie to mark it and couldnt find the mark when done. I took a photo for backup and that saved my ass.

If you're using a Rallitek lift, like I did, you do not need the Bracket Complete Stabilizer L/R. The Rallitek kit provides an alternative bracket (I suspect its just the crosstrek one) rather than the spacers they show on their website.

Use crosstrek endlinks for the rear. Installing the stabilizer is super easy, you just need to loosen a handful of bolts for the underbody and stick the bar through the gap. If you're not doing a lift just installing the rear bar is about an hour of work to loosen some bolts, stick the bar through, attach it to endlinks and bracket, and retighten the bolts. Torque specs available on rallitek pdf instructions.

If you're doing a hitch, remove the rear bumper and muffler right away to give yourself more room.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Nice! I may have to look into getting a Crosstrek bracket or endlinks for mine if it's the same one you used. My friends had to do some creative cutting in order to get the Impreza bracket to work.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One more thing to add to this: when I did 4-wheel alignment at the dealership for $150 there was no change to my rear wheels, they did not need alignment.

So I would suggest to just go to any alighment place and get the front wheels aligned. You can get Big-O tires giftcards for cheap on groupon.

·
Registered
2017 Base Hatchback 5MT
98 Posts
I've done it and installed the rallitek 2" lift and the ecohitch trailer.

Here's my advice/tips for anyone doing the same:

You can do it with just 2 jack stands.

You want to have an Electric Ratchet Wrench or pneumatic equivalent, seriously it will save you a lot of work. I used this cheap one and it earned its keep: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0894L9F6Z

This video is very helpful and covers most of it:
For front struts, don't remove the top bolts in the engine bay until the end. In the video they remove the top bolts immediately and that is a mistake. Do that last.

When remounting the front struts, first thing you want to do is get them through the holes on top and get a bolt on so it holds it, then ratchet it down with electric wrench and do the others. Then you can mess around underneath. This is the way.

When doing the camber bolt, take a photo of it. I used a sharpie to mark it and couldnt find the mark when done. I took a photo for backup and that saved my ass.

If you're using a Rallitek lift, like I did, you do not need the Bracket Complete Stabilizer L/R. The Rallitek kit provides an alternative bracket (I suspect its just the crosstrek one) rather than the spacers they show on their website.

Use crosstrek endlinks for the rear. Installing the stabilizer is super easy, you just need to loosen a handful of bolts for the underbody and stick the bar through the gap. If you're not doing a lift just installing the rear bar is about an hour of work to loosen some bolts, stick the bar through, attach it to endlinks and bracket, and retighten the bolts. Torque specs available on rallitek pdf instructions.

If you're doing a hitch, remove the rear bumper and muffler right away to give yourself more room.
To confirm, you do or don't need the bracket? Also do you have a photo of the lift and/or a before-&-after?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To confirm, you do or don't need the bracket? Also do you have a photo of the lift and/or a before-&-after?
If you're using a Rallitek lift, like I did, you do not need the Bracket Complete Stabilizer L/R.

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
2017 Base Hatchback 5MT
98 Posts
If you're using a Rallitek lift, like I did, you do not need the Bracket Complete Stabilizer L/R.

View attachment 26335
View attachment 26336
Yeah man that looks good! Are you still on 16's or did you bump up to 17? I want a lift and I'm either going to stick with 16's (just a thicker sidewall - maintaining diameter no more than 27") or dropping to a 15" wheel with insane sidewalls. Either way, A/T's with mad sidewall for an aggressive rally look. I may even take my bro's OEM 2007 Toyota Corolla S 15's (primed then painted gloss black) and throw on some Falken Wildpeak A/T's with said sidewall. [He wants my 8x16 Enkei Performance Wheels and we share the 5x100 bolt pattern]

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah man that looks good! Are you still on 16's or did you bump up to 17? I want a lift and I'm either going to stick with 16's (just a thicker sidewall - maintaining diameter no more than 27") or dropping to a 15" wheel with insane sidewalls. Either way, A/T's with mad sidewall for an aggressive rally look. I may even take my bro's OEM 2007 Toyota Corolla S 15's (primed then painted gloss black) and throw on some Falken Wildpeak A/T's with said sidewall. [He wants my 8x16 Enkei Performance Wheels and we share the 5x100 bolt pattern]
I'm waiting for airless tires to come out and am hoping I can wait it out until then with what I've got. The wheels are 16".

Reactions: Black_Widow_Subie

·
Registered
2017 Base Hatchback 5MT
98 Posts
I'm waiting for airless tires to come out and am hoping I can wait it out until then with what I've got. The wheels are 16".
Nice!! I'm probably giving my bro my wheels I'm exchange for his OEM wheels from his 2007 Corolla S Plus (15s) and Im wrapping them with Falken Wildpeak A/T tires. I MAY need spacers.

·
Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
207 Posts
I feel bad adding to a necro of an old thread, but here's a reply :)

So i havent been able to find any aftermarket sway bars for the impreza. Iv looked everywhere. Is there no company that makes thicker after market sway bars?
I'm not 100% sure what OEM sway bar thickness is, but it appears that there's options for 24, 22, and 20mm sway bars here for 2017 Impreza's (and presumably 17-current models) Aftermarket Sway bars

OEM Sway bars can be found here: OEM Sway Bars

·
Registered
209 Posts

View attachment 24669

Did you end up installing it?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What's your ground clearance on this?
stock clearance is 5.1 inch
lift makes it 2" higher
skid plate drops it down a little bit again

1 - 20 of 22 Posts