5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Yesterday evening I did some moderate hooning in the fresh snow we just got in MI. After drifting a few wide circles at varying amounts of throttle, I got out of the car to walk around, and when I got back in, the dashboard had turned into a Christmas tree. "Check owners manual" and "Blind Spot Warning Unavailable" appeared on the display between the speedo and tach, and the Traction Control and Hill Start Assist error lights both came on. Has anyone else experienced this? And if so, is there a way to clear these lights without going to the dealership? I have only started the car to move it around the driveway one time, and the lights were still on. I'm thinking that maybe driving around a bit after the packed in snow around my wheel wells melt will clear the lights, but I'm not sure.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
41 Posts
Do you happen to have an OBD2 scanner? It may shed some light on what the computer is sensing that would tell you what's going on with it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do, but it's only a FIXD sensor so I believe it only scans for check engine codes. I can try and scan it though, and just see what happens.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Break petal sensor maybe. Ik thats a common thing to go which would cause the traction and hill assist error. Im not sure if it messes up blind spot since i dont have that. Anyways was there an ABS light

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
1,413 Posts
Maybe you got some ice and snow packed in the ring that senses wheel speed? Can you park in a garage where it's above freezing? It might melt and go back to normal. Hopefully it's something that simple.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe you got some ice and snow packed in the ring that senses wheel speed? Can you park in a garage where it's above freezing? It might melt and go back to normal. Hopefully it's something that simple.
I was guessing that it may have had something to do with the large amount of snow that was packed around the wheel wells. I didn't know if there was a sensor that could have been affected by it, but that very well could be the case. The car is currently parked in a garage (slightly above freezing) and I'm out of town, so I'll see if the codes go away after a drive once I get home. 👍

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, problem resolved. So I scanned the car, and no codes came back because a FIXD sensor can't scan the TC/ABS systems. I then ran some errands in the car, and before I could even get out of the neighborhood the lights turned off. I wish I could have seen what codes the car actually threw, so I may be purchasing a proper OBDII scanner soon. Thanks for all the advice everyone, problem solved. ✅

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Impreza 5-Door Sport 5MT
223 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Yesterday evening I did some moderate hooning in the fresh snow we just got in MI. After drifting a few wide circles at varying amounts of throttle, I got out of the car to walk around, and when I got back in, the dashboard had turned into a Christmas tree. "Check owners manual" and "Blind Spot Warning Unavailable" appeared on the display between the speedo and tach, and the Traction Control and Hill Start Assist error lights both came on. Has anyone else experienced this? And if so, is there a way to clear these lights without going to the dealership? I have only started the car to move it around the driveway one time, and the lights were still on. I'm thinking that maybe driving around a bit after the packed in snow around my wheel wells melt will clear the lights, but I'm not sure.

Thanks.
Sounds like you pissed off the ABS system with packed snow. This should cure itself as the snow melts away. Its happened to me on every Subaru I've owned if you hoon well enough lol. If it doesn't go away, good chance you picked up some metal that was in the snow and its stuck to the magnetic ring of your hub assembly. You'd need to get the codes read to know which location is causing the issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Crap, sorry I posed my last comment before I saw this was already solved.
All good, thank you for the information. It's good to know that it's a common thing to happen to Subaru's, so when it happens again, I'll know that it's just snow pack messing with ABS.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Impreza 5-Door Sport 5MT
223 Posts
All good, thank you for the information. It's good to know that it's a common thing to happen to Subaru's, so when it happens again, I'll know that it's just snow pack messing with ABS.
Yup, loosen your fuel cap and your dash will light up like a Christmas tree. Never understood why we disable cruise for a fuel cap, but we do. lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts