5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm trying to determine if this is characteristic of our CVT. From a stop it will accelerate smoothly if you put your foot into the throttle and tell it to go. But I notice, especially in stop and go traffic, that if you baby the throttle off the line trying to be smooth and try to feed in the acceleration that the car really seems to really protest and hesitates or gets "jerky" for lack of a better word. It seems to be that it "shifts" too quickly out of the first simulated gear and then it then has trouble if you try to start accelerating a little harder once its in "second". It kind a jerks around and has that rubber banding effect as the transmission is trying to catchup to you throttle input. If I switch to the paddle shifters I don't really notice it - being able to say in "first" longer even though I'm not accelerating hard. Like I said, it seems to give up on "first gear" too quickly if you aren't really trying to go. If it would hold that gear a little longer I don't think it would behave that way, but I don't know - maybe its just my car. Makes me wish there was a push button "sport" mode that would hold the "gears" longer.

Just curious if anyone else has noticed this behavior. Wondering if having the car relearn my driving habits would make any difference also. I feel like I have to gun it off the line to keep it from doing this. So in an effort to drive more smoothly I have to snap everyone's neck off the line.

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
How many miles on the car?

Many of us were told when we got the CVT for the first few thousand miles to try and "jack rabbit" the starts so that the tranny "learns" that when you put your foot down you want instant acceleration.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have over 2k on the car now. I definitely wasn't punching it off the line when I first got it. I actually had to do a fair amount of highway driving when I picked up the car since I bought it long distance. Not ideal for break in but that's what I was left with. I would assume the computer is still gradually adjusting based on current driving habits right? I also saw that only the dealer can reset the learning vs just disconnecting the battery like on some cars. Don't know if that's true or just what some people think. Would like to know the answer to that as well.

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
I have over 2k on the car now. I definitely wasn't punching it off the line when I first got it. I actually had to do a fair amount of highway driving when I picked up the car since I bought it long distance. Not ideal for break in but that's what I was left with. I would assume the computer is still gradually adjusting based on current driving habits right? I also saw that only the dealer can reset the learning vs just disconnecting the battery like on some cars. Don't know if that's true or just what some people think. Would like to know the answer to that as well.
I don't know how to reset the ECU on these new Subies.

Maybe if you just start punching it off the line it might learn what you like?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yeah they shake rattle and roll

Actually the issue is the clutch pack off the side of the transmission not the CVT itself
When new it shutters a little which causes that feeling. The pack has several clutches in it made of a very hard matirial to last well beyond 100K miles making the break in period extended.

After my dealer and Subi Corp unable to explain it. We threw some ultrasound contact sensors (knock sensor on steroids) logged 400+ miles. We did find shudder in that clutch pack nothing on the transmission. Most shutter was low speed going in figure 8 circles when most friction is generated.

Once it breaks in it will go away
Have your dealer do a transmission "re learn" Only they can do it at your next service. A couple thousand miles later you will be fine.

I just wish Subaru would offer words on this.

:)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback fellas. I'm going to start pushing it a little harder off the line until my first service. If I'm still having issues, I'll have them check it out. If nothing is wrong, I'll push to reset the ECU or whatever they're calling it these days.

Reactions: C J

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I don't know how to reset the ECU on these new Subies.

Maybe if you just start punching it off the line it might learn what you like?
On most cars, if you disconnect the battery for 5+ minutes and then reconnect, the ECU will reset.

Reactions: bonkewl53

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On most cars, if you disconnect the battery for 5+ minutes and then reconnect, the ECU will reset.
That's what I've done on previous cars - like after a mod. I've read that doesn't work on the Subie but not sure if that's accurate.

·
Administrator
785 Posts
I have 2300mi on mine and the CVT barely shudders or hesitates anymore. So much better than when I first bought it back in May.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yeah that wont work in the cvt TCU. It needs to be manually cleared out via subi proprietary software then car needs if I understand to be put in the aire and go through all the gears. Then driving it will set the parameters.

Put on a couple thousand miles and have them put it in "Re Learn" ststus
Did this twice with subi before I got it sorted out.

Wish subi would explain it to the public instead of denying any issues.

Simple break in adjustment:grin2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts