5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into buying a Impreza Sport and thought this would be a good place for some info or suggestions
Hit bear with my daily driver. It's still drivable and I will probably get it fixed and use it as a winter beater. So I am looking for something sporty that gets descent mpg's. My Chevy HHR is getting 35 mpg and I hope to match that or better. Found a 2017 blue sport around Buffalo with a little over 1300 miles on it for $23,500. Just wondering what you guys think of that deal.
My biggest problem is I have never driven the sport and only driven the premium once when the 17's came out. Buffalo is 4 1/2-5 hours away for me. That is a long drive to be disappointed in a test drive. My nearest Subaru dealer is 65 miles away and I was there and no Sports or no Island Blue. I do like that the 17's came with a CD player and the 18's don't, according to my dealer. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
Well, interesting group of questions. First off I have never heard of a Subie getting 35mpg not on average anyway. Best I got with my Sport was 34 and that was all highway driving.

$23,500 for a Sport is good, it is 500 less than what I paid.

I would be nervous about buying a car without a dealer to service that car a bit closer to me. That is just my opinion though, I would not want to have to drive that far to get basic warranty work done.

What ever you decide I hope it all works out for you, take care.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I haven't averaged 35mpg, granted I'm still breaking it in. I bought my Sport from my brother in law who is a sales manager at my local Subaru. He hasn't heard of that kind of mpg from our cars. I will say that my 18 Sport does have a CD player.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The mpg ratings for 2017 and 2018 is 27 city/35 highway. Are you saying they are nowhere close to that? I have an hour drive to work I need my mpg? Nice to here the 2018 has a CD player, what do salesman know.

·
Registered
778 Posts
we recently averaged about 37mpg on a 3 hour trip, running 80mph all highway driving. but that isn't normal for these cars. on a daily basis my wife's will average right at 30mpg. that is city and highway combined. this car won't get great mileage if you do a lot of stop and go, or keep your foot in it all the time. it only has 152hp so you really have to "keep your foot in it" to drive with any kind spirit. but it is a fun lil car to drive around. and the Sport handles exceptionally well. for what it is, it is a great buy.

now for $23,500 i don't know if that is a good price or not for you. the reason i say that is when we bought ours we made a $500 donation to the ASPCA and that saved us a ton on the price of ours. we paid a lil over $25K for ours brand new and ours stickered for almost $28K. overall, we are more than happy with ours. our dealership and service dept are top notch! i literally have zero complaints about them. i know most of them too because our tint shop does their cars when the need arises. we will definitely buy another Subie from them soon.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Welcome from over near Philly! I just got 37.8 mpg (calculated by the car) using the cruise control on an 800 mi RT to the Boston area, so it's possible. Note that this car does not have the same ground clearance as other models, so I actually see that as being a problem in a deep snow.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Subaru only rates the sport sedan at 31/23 with the MT. The CVT is 36/27. The base model is rated at 32-24 for the MT and CVT is 38/28. The 5 door model those numbers go up 1. So I?d assume an average of mixed driving should produce 26-27 MPG which is about what I average in my sport sedan.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I drive the 40 miles to work in the dark on twisty back country roads. I have two stop signs along the way. Because of the dark, deer, bear, turkeys, bobcats, elk and whatever else runs in front of me I drive 45 mph. Coming home in the afternoon I run as fast as I can anywhere from 55 to 85 and I still average 35 in the HHR. The sport model would make that more fun but I bet that afternoon drive would kill my mpg. I have trouble finding anything to fit my needs.

·
Registered
778 Posts
yeah you won't average 35mpg with that style of driving with the Impreza. it is a fun car no doubt. but if you are buying strictly for mileage, i can't recommend it to you. good luck in your search for the right car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts