5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Impreza Limited
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...just bought my new 2017 Impreza Limited....and I LOVE IT! I had a newer Hyundai Sonata before...and I will now forever and always own Subaru's! I am hooked.

So just for the record, I am open to ANY, and ALL advice...especially on how to take care of it correctly (product recommendations, etc.)

Also...I am in the Seattle Area about 35 min north of Seattle actually, where is the best place for oil changes?

Thanks guys! ;)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Well, 3 things if you've never owned an AWD car before:

1) The spare tire can only be used on the rear. If you get a flat on the front, you will need to move the rear tire forward, then put the spare on the rear.

2) All tires must be matched in diameter. You either need to replace all 4 tires at the same time, or shave a replacement tire down to the size of the others/

3) You can not tow this car, it must be flat-bedded.

·
Administrator
2017 Imp 5 door. Auto, Red.
1,905 Posts
As far as oil etc. I have never had a problem with the drive in and out places for an oil change.

When it come to other fluids I would let the dealer do it. I had a transmission fluid change from Valvoline and I started to get strange "skips" whole shifting. I took it back to them and they re-did the whole fluid change. Same thing. I took it to the dealer and they put in the specific Subaru tranny fluid and the problem stopped.

Just my two cents on that subject.

·
Registered
2019 Impreza Premium Hatch CVT
110 Posts
If you have garage/driveway space see if you know someone who can show you how to change your oil if that interests you at all. This subaru is one of the easiest vehicles I've ever had to change oil/filter.

That being said, I don't touch my transmission. Still on the fence as to whether or not I want to do the diff fluid. That depends on how accessible they are for me.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
356 Posts
Welcome! Nice looking car :)

As much as you may want to, never do a handbrake turn AKA Scandinavian Flick, it will damage the center differential.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your info everyone! The AWD is amazing but also kinda sucks if all 4 tires have to be replaced..but good to know to plan ahead.

What is a handbrake turn? (Scandinavian flick? I like that name, LOL) Is that a "drift" basically?

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
356 Posts
It's not just a Subaru thing on the tires it's basically every all wheel drive vehicle it's like that. The handbrake turn is just if you want to get the rear end to come around you will yank up on the handbrake. Dirt or wherever to be honest regardless don't do that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, noted. I will not do that. I keep it pretty speed limit-ish and modest :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts