5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I'm new to Subaru new to foreign cars really but I've got a serious question can you not plug the input wire from an HID ballast into the low beam plug and it work? Because that's been my experience with my Lincoln mark VIII, so I bought my wife a 2017 impreza sport last month and it is an absolute blast and its the first new car we've ever owned. Also last month the driver side HID bulb went out on my Lincoln so I ordered a new set of morimoto elites from amazon but they sent me H11 bulbs by mistake I order the 9006 for my car everything is perfect, so I figured reuse my old ballasts and the H11's for her car but it doesn't work I unplugged the bulb on the driver side plug it into the ballast and nothing it doesn't work. I unplug the morimoto ballast to test the original one and it works just fine so I'm asking what all do I need to do to get them to work?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is the setup in my Lincoln, it works flawlessly way better than the generic HID setup that replaced the factory HID's like 18 years ago. I was hoping to have this running on her car tbh the halogen bulbs are dangerous at night because of how dim they are.

·
Registered
236 Posts
There are HID conversion kits available, and the good ones cost about $150, or about the same as a good LED conversion kit. Of course, the real question is this: How well do these kit bulbs FOCUS? Some do a great job, some don't, leaving you with a beam that is unfocused, throwing light all sorts of places other than straight ahead, where you need it. Please, do a LOT of research before you get a conversion kit.

Also, the big question I have is this: How much heat does an HID conversion bulb put out? Is it enough to melt the plastic on the headlight housing? At least LED's put out less heat, but what about the voltage converter/ballast modules? Some are connected with a wire, some are right on the end of the bulb. There is really no standardization in them.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
474 Posts
You would be better served with a good LED kit if you are looking for a light upgrade. LED's have come a long way and it's all about how well the design is, like Alex said if it's not properly designed you will get horrible light output and most likely blind oncoming traffic. I currently have a set of Diode Dynamic H11 SL1 bulbs in my low beams. These aren't cheap but they have great output and work very well. I've been using them for a while now with no issues. The company is in the US and really stands behind their products which is nice.

These here: https://www.diodedynamics.com/h11-sl1-led-bulbs-pair.html

If you search around this site you will find others have had luck with other brands. The DD electronics are relatively small and the whole system is plug and play.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I've already got the bulbs I feel like I'd be better served but just getting a ballast and igniter than a whole new kit I've got the HD relay harness that came with the initial kit, but if it won't work then alright I'll grab a set of leds

·
Registered
474 Posts
Good question, I saw that too. I've had mine in since 8/19 and when I ordered them they were listed. It might be worth an email to them if you are interested.

Problem with HID is that the filament is so large, the focusing and pattern of the reflector style headlamp assemblies we have in the Impreza are designed around the location and size of the halogen bulb's filament. Moving or making it that area larger will throw off the pattern. When LED's first came out I tried a number of brands but none worked well enough and I sent them all back. I even moved them to different cars just to see if it was specific to one vehicle but no dice. To me top of the list is not blinding on coming traffic, second is how well they light up the road. There are a lot of cheap LED's out there but to be honest, more often than not the expensive ones work the best because they have quality parts and research behind them to get the focus right.

Low Beam LED Headlight for 2008-2019 Subaru Impreza Bulb Model: SL1 (1630 lumens, Street Legal Output)

That's what is listed in my invoice when I bought the bulbs. They don't have a high beam that works with ours, I tried what they had to offer but they would not physically fit. Normally you can't update the Impreza high beam because they use the Hi-Beam for the DRL's but with the Sport, they have the DRL in a housing where other models have fog lights.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found them with your link and this will solve the problem for now but I'd still prefer HID's i get the fact that in this model you'd need a projector for them to have the cutoff to not blind oncoming traffic, for some reason it works in the Lincoln with a reflector housing. I might get a junkyard set or an aftermarket set from carid and cut them up to test on.

·
Registered
474 Posts
It might be worth an email to Diode Dynamics, odds are they have tried what you are attempting. They do sell HID kits too. When I got a hi beam LED that didn't fit properly they were very helpful and were good about replying to questions.

A lot of times, for me anyway, lighting is trial and error when you are going aftermarket.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Definitely used to the with my mark its 23 years old and you can't find factory replacements for anything everything is aftermarket trial and error lol I appreciate your help btw. I was thinking of doing halos and HIDs but led would work lol

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have a 21 year old Miata, the headlights the reflector type and very poor. Last year before the Miata went to projector lights. I've gone though a half dozen LED's before I found one that actually works well. It was tricky since it has a single hi/lo bulb. The brand is AUXITO which is okay but not nearly the quality of Diode Dynamics which does not have an application for the Miata. They also make an application for the Impreza, I have a set in our Outback with projector lamps, they are fair. The year OB I have is known for going though low beams. I went to the LED because it's really not easy to swap the bulbs out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hear ya auxito makes great LED's for turn signals and reverse lights that's what I've got in my Lincoln for the front and rear turn signals, lane change illumination, and reverse lights, but I agree they need more r&d before they can compete with companies like morimoto and diode dynamics in the headlight category.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I do have a set of the auxito in my high beams for now, until DD makes a set. They are working fair enough, high beams by nature are like flood lights for the most part so blinding on coming traffic really is kind of what they do anyway. Since they fit and are simple plug and play I gave them a shot and I have to admit they are decent. Low beams are more critical to me since I rarely use high beams but when I do it's nice to have a lot of light. Where I live now deer and other animals are a concern on the back roads. This is my high beam install:

9005 LED Headlight Bulbs Mini Sized CanBus Ready 80W 16,000LM/Pair, AUXITO 9005 (HB3) Headlight LED Bulb Conversion Kit, 6500K Xenon White, Pack of 2

Again these will only work on the Sport version since DRL's are separate unlike other models that use the Hi beams on low power for DRL's . That causes them to flicker as DRL's

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Which is perfect since she has the sport, now the high beams aren't really a concern if the low beams are hella bright, because I haven't had a need for high beams in my Lincoln since I installed the morimotos but now I'm wondering if the DD HID's would have been better for the same price? So I've decided I'm ordering the SL1's with my big check on the first, and down the line I'll get a junkyard assembly to experiment with halos, projectors ,and rgb boards lol when I get the LED's installed ill update with pics I'll even put up pics of my HID's for a side by side comparison.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Why don't the SL1's come up using the vehicle finder?
So I had to ask them this question a little bit ago and this was their answer:

Street Use of LED Bulbs

so the reality is the LED's will fit and work but some of the rules have changed. Odds are this rule is in place due to the amount of cheap and poor quality LED's that have flooded the market. You can still purchase these for your "fog lights " Since they are US based, they can not legally list them for headlamps.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have a Xenondepot "extreme hid kit" (which is just a model name) that has been on my 2017 since purchased new. This type of kit gets it's power supply directly from the battery with the OEM light socket providing +12v to the relay controlling ballast/igniter. This removes any possibility of damaging factory wiring IMO. Also - no issues with heat, in fact, quite the opposite. I find that it takes longer to melt ice on the lens than it does with halogens.

Vertical cutoff with this kit is very well pronounced with almost no bleed. I have never been flashed in the 3 years it's been on the car. Where there is bleed is at the sides - it seems to go a little too far out. It's not a terrible thing to have is it lights your turns well but that's light that could have been directed forward instead.

Lighting forward is vastly superior to the halogens. No comparison and absolutely no regrets.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Omg I just looked in the box and it came with an HD relay wiring harness with all the connections you were talking about Vlad I've never had to mess with a conversion kit because the only car I've had with HID's came with them factory this makes so much sense as to why it didn't work.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts