5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[FONT=&quot]I was surprised to see that the car insurance for the new Impreza 2.0i 4DR AWD, is much higher than for our other car that costs almost twice as much. I asked the insurance broker for the reason and I was told that i[/FONT][FONT=&quot]nsurance companies use the CLEAR rating system (Canadian Loss Experience Automobile Rating) which assesses the likeliness of a certain type of vehicle being involved in a claim and the cost associated with repairing it. Subaru comes at a higher bracket. I explained that it’s not WRX, has the safety package, but still, I was told that once they put in the VIN number, these are the numbers coming up.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Did anyone else noticed that?[/FONT]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ours went up $30/month, which I didn't really question since we were replacing a 14 yr old vehicle that wasn't worth much at this point. Also, it seems to go up a similar amount every year just because of "rising costs".

·
Registered
778 Posts
ours dropped $12 a month when we traded our 2015 Nissan Murano Platinum to our Impreza Sport. But we are in the US, if that matters.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm using Geico.

Before we ordered the car, I called for a quote and told them the make and model. My insurance was expected to go up ~$35/month.

However, when we picked it up last weekend and I provided a VIN, the actual cost was $75/month more.

I didn't get a satisfactory reason as to why.

FWIW, our 6 year old Volvo S60 has the same safety features (radar cruise, lane keeping, pedestrian detection, auto braking, etc.) and still costs a few dollars more per month to insure than the Impreza. I'm unsure why because, even though it cost twice as much, at this point the depreciation should make it worth less than the Subaru.

Rant: While investigating my policy later, I noticed that Geico has slipped Roadside Assistance and Rental Car Reimbursement onto my policy. Not only did they add it to the Subaru, but also to the F150 we bought last November. Not cool. Seriously, why would you need Roadside Assistance on a new car when you have it from the manufacturer? Since we have 5 cars, we absolutely didn't need to be reimbursed for a rental car we'd never even use. Anyway, after dropping those unsolicited add ons, I got my rate back to the one originally quoted.

·
Registered
41 Posts
180$ for six months for full coverage ? $30 per month ? I'm insured with State Farm, and for full coverage, 100/300 thousand, i'm paying $130 per month, for 2 drivers.
Yowza. USAA, 2 drivers 2 cars. $310/six months for a 2017 Limited. $340 for a 2014 Volvo S60. The Impreza was $1/month more than the 2014 Forester it replaced.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Shop around and uncheck those options

Maybe Impreza people are rear-ending others while trying to get the infotainment gizmo working?

Seriously, I think it pays to shop around. This is BIG business. My bill from State Farm was nearly half my neighbors State Farm bill and I have a Miata insured; the policies seemed equivalent to us. I complained to an agent once and got a revised lower billing - still don't know why - they must have some discretion; I was REALLY upset
with their then recent crummy service on a family member accident when I was out of town and couldn't take charge of the mess. Had a co-worker go to a new big name company for a lower bill and then they just about murdered him when his teenage daughter got her driver's licence the next year. Someone has to pay for all those Geico ads and Flo's pension. Try the Consumer Reports pile at the local library.

I have one of those pop-up articles right on this page titled "10 Cheapest Cars to Insure". More than one Subaru in that list. How does your annual charge compare?

Options can add up (and subtract down) - check the details of your policy; low/high collision deductibles, using the same company for home insurance, car rental options, low annual mileage. Drive to work in Manhattan or a rural church only once a month. That new car cost you 25k where your old one got you 3k on the trade-in! PA has a limited tort option where you say you won't sue for "pain and suffering" unless you are seriously injured and that seems to bring a big savings. I'm thinking of the recent Wells Fargo bankers trouble with pressured employees signing up folks for things without discussing it with their customers!!! Not enough Boy Scouts these days.

Anyone on the forum with insurance insider knowledge to share.

·
Registered
124 Posts
We use AAA in SoCal, paying $650 a year full coverage highest liability coverage not min
They said subi has great rates if you get the safety equippment

It's less then half of out other cars. We do have 8 cars so a bit of a discount

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm using Geico.

Before we ordered the car, I called for a quote and told them the make and model. My insurance was expected to go up ~$35/month.

However, when we picked it up last weekend and I provided a VIN, the actual cost was $75/month more.

I didn't get a satisfactory reason as to why.
I had the same happen - generic quote for the model / trim came back as cheaper than my old '12 Impreza coverage, and then when I gave them the VIN it ended up more expensive! :mad:

That being said...mine was more like $100/yr difference, not $75/month.

·
Registered
163 Posts
So mine went up like $80/year from a 4yr old Ford that was worth 1/2 of the new car value. Seems very reasonable
with all the safety tech.

So question for OP - I am curious who your insurance company is? Allstate or State Farm? You realize if you have an agent updating you in their system, they can tweak various parameters that they won't tell you about. Or if you have been with them a while you may be on an older outdated insurance rating system. And guess what, they make more money off you. While the VIN is supposed to determine rating mostly, there are other things. All he has to do is say you drive to NYC 100+ miles a day for work - that would not show up on your policy docs - and boom your rate is alot higher for no obvious reason. Not saying he definitely did that, but I know it happens. I have Eyesight and every safety option possible, and nothing on my policy shows I have all this advanced safety technology, my insurance should be free ;-) .... But all I am told is I am getting credit for every safety feature my car has. I go by the rate relative to others.

Therefore shop around and don't be a fool to stay with the same company forever, you'll lose money. I have been trying to get my friend to just shop around after his agent told him rates keep going up - yes they do go up, cars are more expensive than ever to repair - but with the internet it is very easy to shop rates and compares apples to apples.

I am pretty sure he is getting ripped off and he will not switch agents after 15+ years - why I don't know. He would not even report an accident to his company after a driver rear-ended his wife and was cited as at fault. Why? He was afraid his rates would go up. He fought with the other insurance company for 6 months to get paid properly. I told him, go to your company, they will back you. He refused. People - do not be afraid of your insurance company or afraid to switch carriers.

Reactions: 1stsubie

·
Registered
229 Posts
I had the same happen - generic quote for the model / trim came back as cheaper than my old '12 Impreza coverage, and then when I gave them the VIN it ended up more expensive! :mad:

That being said...mine was more like $100/yr difference, not $75/month.
That's why I like to shop around since to some insurance companies it won't make much of a difference. They tend to fight for your business more than the big guys. Not enough people call around checking rates. Told that to someone I know with State Farm for 15 years and 2 months later they were saving $100/month

·
Registered
730 Posts
I think one of the most important features to have on your auto insurance policy is? Rental coverage of course. Some people overlook it or remove it from their policy to save a few bucks, but you never know what's around the corner. Nothing worse than getting into an accident & realizing you have to pay out of pocket for the rental :frown2::rolleyes:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think one of the most important features to have on your auto insurance policy is? Rental coverage of course. Some people overlook it or remove it from their policy to save a few bucks, but you never know what's around the corner. Nothing worse than getting into an accident & realizing you have to pay out of pocket for the rental :frown2::rolleyes:
I was so happy to have this when I totaled mine last month. Made shopping for a car much less stressful. I was able to take 2-3 weeks with a rental to wait for the right deal on a '17 to justify new over used. Ended up getting 5.2% under invoice on it at the end of the month.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I was so happy to have this when I totaled mine last month. Made shopping for a car much less stressful. I was able to take 2-3 weeks with a rental to wait for the right deal on a '17 to justify new over used. Ended up getting 5.2% under invoice on it at the end of the month.
I know I have it on my policy, but I'm not sure exactly how much it cost to add it, but in a situation like yours it's worth every penny. It's extra peace of mind, like you said less stressful worrying about getting to work or school & also your able to take your time to get into another vehicle. I think most insurance companies allow 30 days rental per accident or until the damaged vehicle is useable again.

·
Registered
229 Posts
State Farm I recall is good for stuff like that although they tend to charge higher, I guess that's the cost to be part of one of the better companies out there. My experience with them has been good with my past few accidents. It helps that I take pictures of what happened, making their job easier.

·
Registered
730 Posts
State Farm I recall is good for stuff like that although they tend to charge higher, I guess that's the cost to be part of one of the better companies out there. My experience with them has been good with my past few accidents. It helps that I take pictures of what happened, making their job easier.
According to this article Best and worst auto insurance companies | Clark Howard State Farm is in the top 12 & they are a great company to deal with from a shop point of view. I'm really surprised Liberty Mutual are at #6 worst. They really should be at #1 from the dealings our shop has had with them. Obviously shopping around for the best rate available is key & avoiding an agent, because they make commission. From my understanding or something to this effect, insurance companies & agents have a deal in place - if an insured does not file a claim during the year, the agent gets extra commission on top of what they already got for selecting that insurance company. If only there was an "Expedia" for auto insurance rates to find the best but cheapest premium in one place :smile2:

·
Registered
163 Posts
I never take those insurance ratings too seriously, there are just too many factors that would determine what one person's experience would be compared to another's. All you need is one bad agent or adjuster to make for a terrible experience or a wonderful experience, so this list is pretty meaningless IMHO.

I too have Liberty Mutual and have not had a claim, but have not but positive things to say about them including rates. For LM I do have an agent to help me, but they are company employees and not motivated to take your money. I agree that independent agents can be problematic sometimes and the company employee is the best of both worlds to me. They spend an hour+ with me as I switched all my insurance to them answering lots of questions and getting me the best possible rate and coverage.

And I believe something like: Compare Insurance Quotes - Cheap Insurance Rates to get multiple rate quotes, but you'll also get alot of email and phone calls begging for your business.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts