5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started getting hip/upper leg/back pain about 4 months after I got the sport model with the black seats with red stitching.

From what I can tell, the sides of the seat bend up to keep you in place while doing 100mph corners, outside of that, they basically don't provide a flat surface for your hips, throwing them out of alignment gradually which causes unbelievable pain. I use to limp out of the car after a 40 min commute each day.

I got a bottom bead seat cover which levels the seat out and all my lower back - shooting upper leg pain is completely gone after 2 months. It's been 6 months and absolutely no pain. I went for over a year with this horrible pain.

It's called a wooden bead seat cushion, they sell just the bottom portion for about $12 at Walmart/Amazon in black so you barely notice it. Sadly this purchase changed my life for the better and I thought it would be worthwhile to share with anyone else having this issue.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thank you for sharing. I have had my sport for almost 3 years and find the seats to be super comfortable for short to medium length drives but everybody is different. Glad to see it worked out. It is a great car overall

·
Banned
417 Posts
Thank you for sharing. I have had my sport for almost 3 years and find the seats to be super comfortable for short to medium length drives but everybody is different. Glad to see it worked out. It is a great car overall
The same here. I've taken multiple rides lately in the mountains that lasted 2-4 hours and the seat never became a question. That is, once I get in and buckle up I never think about my seat again, no matter the driving or for how long.

This is in contrast to the FXT that my Impreza replaced, whose seat was universally hated with few exceptions, mine being one allthough I did think about it and wasted a lot of time adjusting the seat until I found a sweet spot and it became just OK, not great. But, like I said, on the Imp the seat just feels made for me and never enters my mind.

I have had those wooden bead seats before in other cars and found them very comfortable. I may even try one again as I'd forgotten about them, but likely not. Why? I have no reason. And, since I have heated and ventilated seats anything between them and me is going to compromise the seat's function. It will also raise my CG and decrese the effectiveness of the side bolstering, which, since I spend a lot of time playing with side forces is not a good thing.

That said, as I well know, each driver is different in seating comfort needs and I'm all for finding a solution to discomfort. As an older person with some back issues I know all too well what imp2018sport is talking about... and am thankful he solved his problem. Over the years I've tried about every seat device made looking for the same in many cars. My '19 Impreza is not one of them. It's perfect as-is for me.

On a side note, from autoxing experience anytime side forces come into play like in the twisties, I take measures to make the otherwise self-adjusting seat portion of the belt to hold me tightly. It keeps me deep in the seat when the forces tend to raise me and slew me in the seat, thus reducing the stability and accuracy of steering control. A dedicated lock on the buckle is a great solution and I've had them to great effect, but a quick and simple one is to just turn the buckle 180* before insertion, and then tugging on the shoulder portion until it snugs across my lap. After doing this for years I feel insecure without doing it when buckling up, regardless of intended driving. YMMV :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts