5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy Holidays, y'all!

I'm looking to get a hitch installed on my 2018 Sport hatch for our 3-bike rack. What have folks been using and liking?

I like the idea of the EcoHitch, but it's pretty costly and required cutting the bumper skin. I've been looking at the options on eTrailer, but nothing there looks quite right. It's like they're all Crosstrek hitches that just happen to bolt up on to the Impreza too.

Thanks!

Jon

·
Administrator
2017 Imp 5 door. Auto, Red.
1,970 Posts
Haven't seen any yet driving around.

Let us know what you get and post photos please.

·
Registered
71 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd tried to order the 1.25" class II Draw-Tite from eTrailer, but they told me it was on backorder from the manufacturer, without a known ship date. [Side note: eTrailer has very nice customer service] I didn't really love the Draw-Tite setup, anyway. So I've bitten the bullet and ordered the EcoHitch from TorkLift Central. I don't really need the 2" receiver, but so be it. My bike rack will be nice and sturdy.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I visited the website and looked at the EcoHitch...VERY nice and I think I would go that route as well if I was in the market.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I saw that TorkLift has the EcoHitch Stelth for the '18 Crosstrek. Looks way easier to install. No removing the bumper per the install videos.
Anybody have a though as to why you could not use the Crosstrek model?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually considered that, pjm237, and even requested their installation document for the Crosstrek hitch. I am almost certain it would fit, but on the Impreza, you would still have to remove the rear bumper skin and cut a notch into it. I took a peak under the rear bumper skin of the Crosstrek at the dealer, and it's a bit deeper (front-to-back) than the Impreza's. The Impreza's muffler canister is ~1.5-2 inches closer to the bumper skin than on the Crosstrek.

I hope they ship my order soon. Haven't had a good bike ride for far too long.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Joined just to add to this post. Just like pjm237, I saw the EcoHitch Stealth for the '18 Crosstrek. Emailed the team at Torklift about it. They haven't tried it so they couldn't confirm. All of the hitches on eTrailer.com have the same p/n for the 17+ Impreza 5drs and 18 Crosstreks, so I agree that I would be surprised if it didn't work.

I'm tempted to pull the trigger and give it a try. If I do, I'll let people know how it goes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also want to add a hitch to my 2019 hatchback. How far lower than the bumper is the bottom of the hitch? Does it hit the ground on speed bumps. I'm nervous since the car is so low to begin with. Is any hitch better for ground clearance?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I also want to add a hitch to my 2019 hatchback. How far lower than the bumper is the bottom of the hitch? Does it hit the ground on speed bumps. I'm nervous since the car is so low to begin with. Is any hitch better for ground clearance?
The EcoHitch is probably the best in terms of ground clearance because it is installed behind the bumper. It does require you to remove the bumper and cut a small notch in the bottom of it. However, it is arguably the cleanest looking hitch available for this generation of Impreza.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks so much. That's what I suspected. After seeing so many pix of Imprezas with hitches that looked pretty low, I was getting nervous. But boy I can't wait to not have that trunk bike rack!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks so much. That's what I suspected. After seeing so many pix of Imprezas with hitches that looked pretty low, I was getting nervous. But boy I can't wait to not have that trunk bike rack!
The EcoHitch is also best in terms of how much it can tow and tongue weight, though since you're using for a bike rack you won't need to worry about it. What rear hitch bike rack will you be adding?

·
Registered
7 Posts
The EcoHitch is also best in terms of how much it can tow and tongue weight, though since you're using for a bike rack you won't need to worry about it. What rear hitch bike rack will you be adding?
I'm getting the Thule Helium platform rack for one bike. Crossing fingers it all works,

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm getting the Thule Helium platform rack for one bike. Crossing fingers it all works,
With a 1 bike rack you shouldn't have anything to worry about even with another type of hitch mount. The weight shouldn't be too heavy. It's when you get into past 3 bikes and up where sag might be an issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
With a 1 bike rack you shouldn't have anything to worry about even with another type of hitch mount. The weight shouldn't be too heavy. It's when you get into past 3 bikes and up where sag might be an issue.
Perfect! I'm getting excited about this now. This forum is excellent. So good to hear from people who know.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So I had the Eco hitch and the Thule Helium Platform 1-bike rack installed on my Impreza this week. They're brilliant! I even went over this serious dip in the road, and no scraping. The one-bike rack doesn't cover the license plate and when it's folded up, I can still open the back. I tried two different bikes and they are so much more secure than the trunk rack. Plus, I can see better with my back-up camera. So if you have an Impreza, go for it!

The installer said both were easy, but the picture-only instructions were annoying.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts