5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody upgraded their original horn ? I hate how the original sound, and would like louder horns. I like the 2 tone sets. sounds like European cars. So I just got these at my local PepBoys : wolo horns replacement horns/model-320-2t-maxi-sound
( the link have a sound sample of how they sound).
Should be easy to install, but i'm not sure if the front grille can be taken off easily. Anybody have any experience taking it off ?

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'll keep you posted on the upgrade (it will have to wait for the weekend)
The problem I have, is: I leased.... So what ever I put in will have to be taken out. I was going to see if I could buy the stock horn and cut off the stock connector for an easy retrofit, connect, disconnect situation. (no cutting and splicing.) I have always installed air horns in my cars, as I feel they are the best in getting attention to oblivious traffic. For me the horn is first line of defense of warning before extra maneuvers, sometimes the maneuvers are impossible but a loud horn typically stops stupidity...and this stock horn doesn't do anything but disappoint for the outcome...it's the worst. There's a lot of room for improvement. The Hella super tones seem like a good choice for electric but I'm still torn on the best easiest upgrade.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The problem I have, is: I leased.... So what ever I put in will have to be taken out. I was going to see if I could buy the stock horn and cut off the stock connector for an easy retrofit, connect, disconnect situation. (no cutting and splicing.) I have always installed air horns in my cars, as I feel they are the best in getting attention to oblivious traffic. For me the horn is first line of defense of warning before extra maneuvers, sometimes the maneuvers are impossible but a loud horn typically stops stupidity...and this stock horn doesn't do anything but disappoint for the outcome...it's the worst. There's a lot of room for improvement. The Hella super tones seem like a good choice for electric but I'm still torn on the best easiest upgrade.
I lease too. but the horn need to be upgraded, and in 3 years i'll remove them. not a bug issue

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to share what i did. I upgraded my horn to BOSCH EUROPA. Really loud but sound good. No need to cut your oem connector just buy a male and female terminal and connect it to your oem harness since our system is equip with relay for our oem horns.
Great ! the set that i got comes with the terminals and wires, but no relay, and I was thinking of getting a ready made wiring harness with a relay. So I guess I could save me some money.

Did you have to take the grille out ? can you give me any pointers ?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Great ! the set that i got comes with the terminals and wires, but no relay, and I was thinking of getting a ready made wiring harness with a relay. So I guess I could save me some money.

Did you have to take the grille out ? can you give me any pointers ?

yeah sure. you need to remove the whole bumper. actually you don't need a relay for your horn because our OEM harness has one. 1st thing to do is to locate where to mount your horn. what kind horn do you want to use? is that a dual horn as well?

·
Registered
318 Posts
yeah sure. you need to remove the whole bumper. actually you don't need a relay for your horn because our OEM harness has one. 1st thing to do is to locate where to mount your horn. what kind horn do you want to use? is that a dual horn as well?
The whole bumper? jeeze. Well I'm glad no cutting. Btw where in NY are you?

·
Registered
160 Posts
that will do when it comes to wiring all you need to do is to connect the single OEM wires to your aftermarket horn and then ground it to your body. all you need to worry is to mount your horn.

BTW for Impreza they have 2 horns as well 1 is located behind the grill and 1 is located under the passenger headlight(thats why you need to remove the bumper). so basically you can use that wires to connect your aftermarket horn then ground it. and don't forget to remove your OEM horns.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
New York Albany sir, it sounds like its hard to remove the bumper but to tell you honestly its easy and very simple. just few clips and bolts. the work is all worth it after.
I would recommend, before starting, to buy Push Pin Pliers, such as these. You will find a lot of these push pins holding the bumper and body parts. Better then using a flat head screwdriver.

·
Registered
730 Posts
New York Albany sir, it sounds like its hard to remove the bumper but to tell you honestly its easy and very simple. just few clips and bolts. the work is all worth it after.
It's easy with some clip removing tools. Subaru's are by far the easiest brand to R&I bumper covers, door handles, fenders, etc. Mostly clips on the front bumper. Easier when on a lift if have access to one.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Report: Wasn't so hard. Took me about an hour and a half. Had to take the bumper off. I used the "original" locations for hassle free installation. The factory horns come with one terminal, and no extra wiring was needed.

The bumper is held with mostly push pins. although I needed ratchet sockets. 10mm, 12mm and 14mm - so get your metric set (in case you only have SAE).

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
I switched out my stock horns for Hella twin trumpet units.

I was able to do it without removing the front fascia... what you guys are calling the bumper. I just removed the black panel ahead of the radiator... where you can see one horn. And lowered the passenger side splash guard to get to the second horn.

I was able to mount the new Hella's to some bracketry on either side of the radiator .
Removed the hot wire from each stock horn, and ran an extension wire to each new horn.

They work great and don't blow the original fuses.

I'll add some photos later.....

I'm new, I'm not allowed to post a link. Go to Amazon and search for
HELLA 3FH 007 424-801 Twin Trumpet High/Low Tone 12V Horn Kit with Bracket

·
Registered
145 Posts
... And here's some photos. Working by myself, I didn't want to remove the fascia and risk scratching it. So I did everything by removing the filler panel and cold air intake ahead of the radiator, and just lowering the splash guard on the right side to reveal the "other" horn and fish a wire up to the grille area. Some scraped knuckles but it worked. If I ever have the fascia off I'll probably be able to arrange the wiring nicer.

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
... And here's some photos. Working by myself, I didn't want to remove the fascia and risk scratching it. So I did everything by removing the filler panel and cold air intake ahead of the radiator, and just lowering the splash guard on the right side to reveal the "other" horn and fish a wire up to the grille area. Some scraped knuckles but it worked. If I ever have the fascia off I'll probably be able to arrange the wiring nicer.
Good write up.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts