5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Report: Wasn't so hard. Took me about an hour and a half. Had to take the bumper off. I used the "original" locations for hassle free installation. The factory horns come with one terminal, and no extra wiring was needed.

The bumper is held with mostly push pins. although I needed ratchet sockets. 10mm, 12mm and 14mm - so get your metric set (in case you only have SAE).

yup I told you its not a big deal to remove the bumper. good job sir.

·
Administrator
1,828 Posts
Great job Dave! Hey, what about just leaving that horn under the light and running the two that Dave did behind the grill? Would all three blow a fuse?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Interestingly, they are on separate fuses...position 1 and 2 in the fuse box under the hood. 7.5 amps each. You could measure the current draw of the horns and see if it would work, or just try it and see if it blows a fuse.

But I think mixing one old crappy horn with two new ones would just sound strange.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know where the ground (black) wire for the horn is located? I am installing a relay for a horn upgrade but I need to attach to the original black wire for the OEM horn.

BTW - it seems that my 2018 Impreza has only ONE horn. It's the one nested under and behind the passenger headlight. There is NO second horn mounted in front of the radiator.

Help is appreciated!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Does anyone know where the ground (black) wire for the horn is located? I am installing a relay for a horn upgrade but I need to attach to the original black wire for the OEM horn.

BTW - it seems that my 2018 Impreza has only ONE horn. It's the one nested under and behind the passenger headlight. There is NO second horn mounted in front of the radiator.

Help is appreciated!
It's probably grounded to the frame through the metal body. My 17 also only has one, embarrassing horn below the passenger side headlight also but I'm about to sort that out with the Hella kit so I'll report back. I have the the Subimods wire harness and that has the relay and everything else right on it

·
Administrator
1,828 Posts
I would like to upgrade my horn as well it sounds completely lame. But, I have to admit that I have never taken a bumper off of one of these plastic cars. I am worried about all of those little plastic push tabs or whatever they are called and worried that I won't get it back together so that it is just like new.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm not 100% sold on you HAVE to take it off, once the cover above the radiator is off, there is a fair amount of room to work there. You can access the passenger side horn from underneath

·
Registered
521 Posts
I'm not 100% sold on you HAVE to take it off, once the cover above the radiator is off, there is a fair amount of room to work there. You can access the passenger side horn from underneath
That's what I did. I bolted my Hellas to the core support.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Also worth noting: the horn under the passenger side headlight is easily accessed via the floodlight cover. I think that's the way to go, one of the Hellas on the mount on the radiator frame, the other in the stock position. Will give it a go tomorrow. Also worth noting: the Subimods "Hella bracket" doesnt fit the 17+, there is no vertical support on the Gen 5 so it's useless.

·
Registered
79 Posts
ok! project complete. Meep has been terminated with extreme prejudice. I keep looking for a reason to unleash these Hellas on ppl, loud AF.

Here are some pics of the install, I opted just to use the original spots and didnt remove the front trim. The one on top was a no brainer, getting the meep out from under the headlight was um, unpleasant. You'll probably want small hands and a ratcheting 12mm wrench, very little room to work with but doable. First pic is where i stuck the relay with the trim and air intake removed. Both bolts are M8x1.25

I used the Subimods harness and it wasnt long enough to reach both horns, needed to add some jumpers to make up the length. Other than that, it was perfect. The meep is one wire and that's where the trigger plugs in from the harness, its a bit on the loose side so you'll probably want to zip tie and wrap it up.

Now to find the Barbie Power Wheels that the the original horn came off of..

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
I really need to do this with mine.

I am debating about taking the bumper off to do it though, for 1 i like a clean install...and second I am debating on an LED light bar. I work nights, and all the light I can get is helpful

·
Registered
521 Posts
I really need to do this with mine.

I am debating about taking the bumper off to do it though, for 1 i like a clean install...and second I am debating on an LED light bar. I work nights, and all the light I can get is helpful
I forget what it's called, but you may have to deal with a louver that opens and closes behind the bumper.I have also thought about a LED bar, but I don't want to be the first to deal with the louver thing. Go ahead and try the BeamTechs!!!! I know you've been researching it and I really don't think you'll be disappointed.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I forget what it's called, but you may have to deal with a louver that opens and closes behind the bumper.I have also thought about a LED bar, but I don't want to be the first to deal with the louver thing. Go ahead and try the BeamTechs!!!! I know you've been researching it and I really don't think you'll be disappointed.
User Barbu-Subi has done what I am wanting to do (post #263 on the "Anyone do any Mods yet thread) with both the lightbar and the horn upgrade. Problem is time as well as finding the right LED bar.

As for the BeamTechs I have not ordered them yet. I am still thinking about them but I am also debating between them and the Lightening Dark. Kinda waiting on Prime Day to see if they come down a bit

21 - 40 of 53 Posts