5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
User Barbu-Subi has done what I am wanting to do (post #263 on the "Anyone do any Mods yet thread) with both the lightbar and the horn upgrade. Problem is time as well as finding the right LED bar.

As for the BeamTechs I have not ordered them yet. I am still thinking about them but I am also debating between them and the Lightening Dark. Kinda waiting on Prime Day to see if they come down a bit
I want to put an LED bar in place of the lower grille, not behind the upper. Good find though.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Good to know you don't have to remove the bumper to access the horns.

I've used this set of dual PIAA horns on my GT-S and transferred them to several cars after that. Eventually I'll find the time to put them into the Impreza.

PIAA | Automotive Sports Horn (400/500Hz) #85110
You'll have a hard time fitting those in the stock spot below the headlight, if the Hellas were any bigger in any direction, they would not have fit. You could mount some kind of crossbar to put them in front like someone else posted earlier but the bumper will probably need to come off for that

·
Registered
99 Posts
I couldn't part ways with the custom sound my Buick made. I just purchased a set of El Dorado horns to slap into the 2017 Impreza. I'm trying to make it easier on myself so I'm looking for a quad horn harness. These horns have always woken up drivers 4 cars ahead and I look forward to having them back.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just to follow up on my install for anyone else thinking about the stock under the headlight location: Mounting in the stock location is a PITA and I ended up moving the second Hella to the front and mounted to one of the screws for the hood release. I added a couple washers to clear the bend in the metal and it fits great. Two horns in front has ppl running a block away

·
Registered
28 Posts
I installed a wolo bad boy air horn. Ran new wiring with relay. Left my OEM horns connected since they are high toned vs the wolo which is a low tone. I put the wolo near the passenger mounted OEM horn. Sounds good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can swap the horns very easily and directly on a 2018 Imprezza just by taking off the horizontal facing black trim along the top of the radiator and the air intake connection. All of those black button fasteners up top are straight center-pull style, the cross mark ones are just longer.

HOWEVER, when you go to do the passenger side lower horn, all of the black button fasteners that you will find on the bottom panel plastic down there under the front passenger corner are different, and there are 3 kinds! The regular 'pop-up center' ones on mine were all basically frozen from the elements, and basically had to rip off two of them with a metal puller tool and replace. The other that had tab marks on the perimeter of the outer rim were the kind where you have to rotate the center vs the outer ring somehow, and there's no good way to know when it is in the pull vs no-pull position. These look just like the upper ones on the air intake connection, but they are different. Try to turn them so that they can come out, but in the end you will just level them out and try to salvage them.
:mad:

Not well done Subaru. My 2006 Mazda MX-5 has all nice useable and reusble consistent style center-pull, important for all kind of work. All you can do is get box of replacements on Amazon perhaps, and get ready to trash and replace, it will be fine if you have a range of replacement styles.

Otherwise two horns directly swapped for the Fiamm/Signaltone 'Highway Blaster or vintage style coils ones, best to choose the older 'negative ground as mounting' with a single positive lead, simpler and cleaner. No relay needed, already relayed.

-SF

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
205 Posts
I've upgraded the horns in every Subaru I've owned. I'm not a fan of the stock "excuse me please" type of horn. Maybe it's because I'm from Jersey :p Out here in KS people look at you funny if you beep your horn even when they are in the process of cutting you off. I feel the stock wiring is not up to the task for a real set of horns. I always use a relay and directly wire to the battery. While the stock wiring may be okay for a quick toot of the horn, if you lay on it, the wiring will heat up too much IMHO. In the past I've used air horns, the compressor type (you def need a relay here), Super Tones, compact air horns (my preference) and the trumpet style. I have a compact air horn and tried to find a place for it in the Impreza but I just could not find a secure place for it. In the end I went with the trumpet style. The car now sounds like an old Buick :) I'm okay with that. I managed to install both without removing the grill. I worked from the top after removing the plastic bit above the radiator. I used an existing hole with a bolt for one and an existing bolt for the other. They are hard to see but so far work well. Here is a pic of the wiring harness I used next to a compact air horn that I wanted to use but wasn't able to. Also a pic of the packaging the trumpets came in and a short vid sound-clip if the link works.

Sound Clip Vid < Click Me Humm link did not go directly to video but it is in the FB post at the bottom right.

·
Registered
93 Posts
You can swap the horns very easily and directly on a 2018 Imprezza just by taking off the horizontal facing black trim along the top of the radiator and the air intake connection. All of those black button fasteners up top are straight center-pull style, the cross mark ones are just longer.

HOWEVER, when you go to do the passenger side lower horn, all of the black button fasteners that you will find on the bottom panel plastic down there under the front passenger corner are different, and there are 3 kinds! The regular 'pop-up center' ones on mine were all basically frozen from the elements, and basically had to rip off two of them with a metal puller tool and replace. The other that had tab marks on the perimeter of the outer rim were the kind where you have to rotate the center vs the outer ring somehow, and there's no good way to know when it is in the pull vs no-pull position. These look just like the upper ones on the air intake connection, but they are different. Try to turn them so that they can come out, but in the end you will just level them out and try to salvage them.
:mad:

Not well done Subaru. My 2006 Mazda MX-5 has all nice useable and reusble consistent style center-pull, important for all kind of work. All you can do is get box of replacements on Amazon perhaps, and get ready to trash and replace, it will be fine if you have a range of replacement styles.

Otherwise two horns directly swapped for the Fiamm/Signaltone 'Highway Blaster or vintage style coils ones, best to choose the older 'negative ground as mounting' with a single positive lead, simpler and cleaner. No relay needed, already relayed.

-SF
No issues putting in my two Hellas. If you pop the grill out you get way more space to move around. Just inside the grill you will see a large piece of foam running sideways. At the to edge of the foam is a metal bracket and on the bracket you will find two equally spaced holes. I used these after messing around with the hood latch bolts and this is way better. Bolted right in👍
MVIMG_20200227_182252.jpg
MVIMG_20200227_182248.jpg
MVIMG_20200227_182243.jpg

·
Registered
2018 Impreza Premium
48 Posts
I went with an air horn. TrainHorn™
My wife liked it and had me put one in her truck too.
I disconnected the stock horns, and used the wire to trigger a relay.
No one expects that sound to come from a Subie.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I went with an air horn. TrainHorn™
My wife liked it and had me put one in her truck too.
I disconnected the stock horns, and used the wire to trigger a relay.
No one expects that sound to come from a Subie.
Can you show me where you mounted it? And how? Pix please.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts