5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah i actually ended up messaging RalliSportAuto on facebook, he sent me a video testing different level air filters, K&N is one i saw and was the best one tested although you lose ‘filter’ in the air filter bc its thinner etc but it did increase performance by about 4.8hp/5.1 torque, very minor gains probably wont notice the ~.2 sec i saw it can get on a 0-60 but its better than nothing for the price and ease of installing it as u said. Im going to look up Green Filter I know u probably dont see the filter itself at all through the grill or anything but the ugly K&N maroon isnt ideal to me if its the best i have no prob getting it but I’m still considering all options.
Another thing to consider for the air filter replacement is that the stock air filter needs to be changed out anyway, forget the exact service interval but it's in the owner's manual. If you consider the cost of a stock filter, you're really only paying the extra cost of the performance filter, so decent bang for your buck if you wait until you need to replace the stock filter

·
Registered
193 Posts
From everything I have read you will lose filtering efficiency with K&N. People really like the Fram Ultra though due to the synthetic media. I had a K&N on my S4 and my pathfinder and I can't tell you I felt a difference at all.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yes, those K&N filters are really meant for racers, most of which can't quite bring themselves to race with only a coarse screen over the intake, so the K&N is what gives the next lowest backpressure to no filter at all. Only run a K&N filter if you have no problem with having to rebuild your engine in less than 50k miles.

I used to use one in a rally car I owned; it was a Dodge Omni GLH Turbo, mapped and prepped, putting out something like 250 hp. But then, it WAS built for racing, and if my cylinder bores wore out, then I'd just pull the engine out for a rebuild.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
From everything I have read you will lose filtering efficiency with K&N. People really like the Fram Ultra though due to the synthetic media. I had a K&N on my S4 and my pathfinder and I can't tell you I felt a difference at all.
That's the thing, even though changing out the filter is the easiest and cheapest thing you could possibly do, spending $60 to not even really notice an improvement, as well as knowing it's making the air quality worse, makes me say I'm just going to save the $60 for some other mod that's more $ but worth it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Whats up folks (jump to third paragraph to see the basic question)

So I'm brand new to this forum and working on cars. I'm looking to move on from my stock jetta I've ran into the ground since I got my license in high school, and it's pretty set in stone that I'm moving on from that to my first 'real' car, a 2017 Impreza hatch premium, which I could possibly be driving home tomorrow if all goes well. I did test drive it, and liked it, but of course I'm searching online tonight to make sure I know what I'm getting myself into in terms of upgrades.

WRX and STIs are not an option due to parents being parents, so I'm strictly asking about Imprezas and what I can do realistically to it, simply when it comes to what's available out there. Now I've never worked on a car before, or have had any sort of work done, so to be completely honest my knowledge is pitiful when it comes to knowing part names etc, but my root question comes down to this.

Is there any real viable way to upgrade the performance under the hood of an Impreza besides what I've seen people say, which is stick to wheels tires and suspension, and maybe possibly air intake and exhaust?

'm extremely ignorant on the matter, I have about an hour of reading forums under my belt, so I'm mainly looking for feedback and what people have to say about their systems and what the actual possibilities are, or if the Impreza platform itself is too limiting for any sort of noticeable changes. I understand its a cvt transmission.. "N/A" has popped up through my searches.. Like I said I really know nothing about car mechanics or if/why a turbo kit wouldn't be an option.... I need this car for the awd and room in the back for winter/ roadtrips, that's why I settled on the Impreza, as well as what I thought could be a "suped up subey" lolll. I'd love to know what I can do to this thing, I'm starting with tints, wheels and suspension, yet the big question is "and then what?" lol.

I'd appreciate any and all tips, sharing of knowledge to a beginner, and constructive criticism of any sort. Please help me out I love the car regardless but I need some help!! Reach out, thanks.
you can do a lot compared to what most people think. A friend of mine in Utah turbo his impreza for 2500 and hes making like 250ish hp. it looked and sounded really cool and is one of the only boosted imprezas in America.
you can also supercharge it with an Eaton M90 for about 2000 and make about 250hp

other things you can do:
cold air intake- doesnt actually add hp like in other cars, messes with MAF signal but sounds and looks cool
crawford power blocks- adds air to the intake, does help performance
pedal controller- helps with throttle management, Subaru isn't very linear so this helps with it
full on tune- helps with power, throttle management, exhaust. adds like 23 hp
oil catch-can- Ive seen in lots of cases these help pull things out the engine oil
CVT cooler- decreases cvt temp and overall engine temp slightly. helps with towing. i have amazon parts list if anyone's interested
light weight crank pulley- it will help with throttle and power, never had it on nor can i attest to how well it'll help

suspension bracing and chassis bracing and lowering make huge differences in cornering. i tested before and after each change on a road. the canyon road is 11miles long and take 24 min to drive normally speed limit 35-40. before the mods i can comfortable take the turns at 50mph and make it down in about 15-17 min. now with the mods and practice, im making it through in about 7.5 min taking the turns at 70-75mph comfortably. lower center of gravity and bracing has changed the game in my racing.

there prob other things that i don't have on this list. yes everything on here is minor in of itself but add up. and sometimes its not power output your looking for but more vibrations and handling like what suspension, transmission, chassis, and engine bracing will accomplish.

things Ive done to my car and noticed a big difference:
Cold air intake
lowering springs
camber bolts
wider and larger diameter wheels and tires
front and rear strut tower bracing
custom catback exhaust
pitch stop mount
bigger break kit with slotted and drilled rotors
high temp brake fluid and oil
diode dynamics across every bulb and 30in light bar in the grill. (you don't think you need light until you have it available. really helps see farther at higher speeds and take in more information on the road)

thats all rn, got more in the mail to install aka 22mm front and 24 mm rear whiteline sway bar, cusco center floor bracing, NRG racing seats with 5 or 6 point harness

·
Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
453 Posts
CVT cooler- decreases cvt temp and overall engine temp slightly. helps with towing. i have amazon parts list if anyone's interested
Hit me up with that parts list, I've been looking for it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I suggest you take a look at the showcase on my profile. I've done a good amount to mine and it's a daily.
I like the build man!! Also for anyone wondering hatchback has more bolt on parts available for it like more coils and exhaust and whatnot. Sedan version little harder to find stuff for compared to the hatch but the principles are going to be the same obvy. Just keep that in mind when you want to make any significant mods to your hatch or sedan. A lot of stuff these cars have is diy and custom and I like to see everyone come up with something new.

·
Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
453 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
That's the thing, even though changing out the filter is the easiest and cheapest thing you could possibly do, spending $60 to not even really notice an improvement, as well as knowing it's making the air quality worse, makes me say I'm just going to save the $60 for some other mod that's more $ but worth it.
Well, you DO get a cool sticker, which you can put on your window next to the sticker in Japanese Kanji characters which you think say "racecar", but probably actually says "idiot". It's all part of what I call "Racecar Cosplay". I remember many, many years ago when I replaced the vacuum-advance distributor on my 1966 VW Beetle with a mechanical-advance "Porsche style" distributor; it might've given me an extra 3 or 4 hp, and the backfires sounded EPIC, but it became almost undriveable under 3000 rpm...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well, you DO get a cool sticker, which you can put on your window next to the sticker in Japanese Kanji characters which you think say "racecar", but probably actually says "idiot". It's all part of what I call "Racecar Cosplay". I remember many, many years ago when I replaced the vacuum-advance distributor on my 1966 VW Beetle with a mechanical-advance "Porsche style" distributor; it might've given me an extra 3 or 4 hp, and the backfires sounded EPIC, but it became almost undriveable under 3000 rpm...
HEY!! I've gained about 17hp from all my stickers okay. Got another 5 about to come from my PRIMATIVE RACING sticker collection🤪

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hey, next mod, you can 'slam' the suspension by having 5 people sit on each corner while you install spring clamps!
I gotta say, one time I had 3 big guys in the back, and im already lowered, but they sent my tire into the tire well and every small bump on the highway, sparks were shooting off. 🎇😬🎇😬🎇😬

21 - 35 of 35 Posts