5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
For a CAI would you say it messing w/ MAF would be not as big of a deal as people say? idk if your car is an FB20 or 20D engine but for 20Ds (mine) people highly recommend avoiding CAIs, curious what your thoughts are...

In terms of suspension man that story is crazy impressive I've been optimistic about how big of a difference putting suspension will be but that puts it into a lot better perspective lol im that much more excited.
i got a cold air intake, im tuned and its fine. Its not as efficient as stock but after a tune has almost no chance of hurting your engine. BTW suspension is the most worthwhile upgrade. Im ripping through the backroads now

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Thanks bro I appreciate it, definitely a lot of work went in. If you've got any questions feel free to ask. You know where to find me, some of the stuff isn't even specifically for our cars lol
no problem I do have one question I should ask... for your spoiler how easy/ hard was install/ would u happen to know if there's a "flush" or wing/deflector/spolier "delete" part out there? idk if im explaining it right but at least as of now I want to make the rear of the roof and rear window low profile or flush for lack of better terms just an idea idk if you know about that..?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
i got a cold air intake, im tuned and its fine. Its not as efficient as stock but after a tune has almost no chance of hurting your engine. BTW suspension is the most worthwhile upgrade. Im ripping through the backroads now
I gotta look into intake vs exhaust I wanna do intake so bad im gonna wait it out until its the time where id do either/or and decide then but I might just do a CAI tbh.

..bro im too excited to get a sweet coilover set and just rip.. I could skip any and every other mod if I can just get rid of this stock suspension. AWD helps alot vs my FWD jetta we sold, but it needs suspension and it'll be night and day 🙏

·
Registered
2018 Base 5 Door
138 Posts
no problem I do have one question I should ask... for your spoiler how easy/ hard was install/ would u happen to know if there's a "flush" or wing/deflector/spolier "delete" part out there? idk if im explaining it right but at least as of now I want to make the rear of the roof and rear window low profile or flush for lack of better terms just an idea idk if you know about that..?
Install was pretty straight forward it's just installed with pre applied double sided tape. Only difficult part was getting it centered, I simply Lazer eyeballed it and it looks fine. The angle isn't too terribly high but I wouldn't want anymore angle on it anyway. I haven't seen any other style of add-on or even full on replacement spoiler for the hatch. Here's a post I made about it when I got it.

I've got some more photos of the rear spoiler extender/add-on. I like that it's able to add some shape to the rear end without being too aggressive or offensive. It almost looks like an oem option.

If you were on the fence about buying it this should help you decide. Personally I think it's great.

Here's the link I used for my 2018. My total was just over $190
Kakumei Glossy Black Add-on Rear Spoiler FITS 2019 2020 Subaru Impreza Hatchback | eBay
View attachment 25895
View attachment 25896
View attachment 25897
View attachment 25898
View attachment 25899
View attachment 25901
View attachment 25902
View attachment 25903
View attachment 25904
View attachment 25905

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Install was pretty straight forward it's just installed with pre applied double sided tape. Only difficult part was getting it centered, I simply Lazer eyeballed it and it looks fine. The angle isn't too terribly high but I wouldn't want anymore angle on it anyway. I haven't seen any other style of add-on or even full on replacement spoiler for the hatch. Here's a post I made about it when I got it.
okay yeah didn't know yours was an add-on, im not totally opposed to doing something like that I figured replacing the whole stock spoiler was how to do it since u can see the outline/gaps of the spoiler section/part. I'll just look around, will prob end up doing something similar to yours tho, thank you

·
Registered
109 Posts
Man😂🤦🏻‍♂️ I think the #1 dumbie idea I've had so far is painting my break calipers, definitely up there in the racer cosplay cringe hacks..... trust me I am not going to, i want to avoid being 'that guy' with everything in my soul, but some of these 'just for looks' things do get me for a moment lol.
I am going to paint my calipers soon, red to match my accents. With aftermarket wheels and lowered and a big rotor kit with stainless lines. I think it will look good, but you gotta do it right the first time!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I agree!! I've focused more on suspension then anything else and I can say that's your biggest bang for you buck. Now obvy it's pointless to do suspension if your just racing regular roads. But I take mine to the track and I gotta tell ya, I can pass a lottttt of cars on the track in the turns. Now on the straight aways, they catch up obvy, but suspension is where it's at. Im more of a canyon racing type of guy anyway.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I gotta look into intake vs exhaust I wanna do intake so bad im gonna wait it out until its the time where id do either/or and decide then but I might just do a CAI tbh.

..bro im too excited to get a sweet coilover set and just rip.. I could skip any and every other mod if I can just get rid of this stock suspension. AWD helps alot vs my FWD jetta we sold, but it needs suspension and it'll be night and day 🙏
dude literally since my cars so stiff now i can pretty much floor it and send it on most turns. Our AWD system is so good

·
Registered
109 Posts
dude literally since my cars so stiff now i can pretty much floor it and send it on most turns. Our AWD system is so good
But biggest thing to do is tires, for safety and performance, and idk where you live, but im in colorado and ive been through tires if you want to know my experience with specific brands.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Whats up folks (jump to third paragraph to see the basic question)

So I'm brand new to this forum and working on cars. I'm looking to move on from my stock jetta I've ran into the ground since I got my license in high school, and it's pretty set in stone that I'm moving on from that to my first 'real' car, a 2017 Impreza hatch premium, which I could possibly be driving home tomorrow if all goes well. I did test drive it, and liked it, but of course I'm searching online tonight to make sure I know what I'm getting myself into in terms of upgrades.

WRX and STIs are not an option due to parents being parents, so I'm strictly asking about Imprezas and what I can do realistically to it, simply when it comes to what's available out there. Now I've never worked on a car before, or have had any sort of work done, so to be completely honest my knowledge is pitiful when it comes to knowing part names etc, but my root question comes down to this.

Is there any real viable way to upgrade the performance under the hood of an Impreza besides what I've seen people say, which is stick to wheels tires and suspension, and maybe possibly air intake and exhaust?

'm extremely ignorant on the matter, I have about an hour of reading forums under my belt, so I'm mainly looking for feedback and what people have to say about their systems and what the actual possibilities are, or if the Impreza platform itself is too limiting for any sort of noticeable changes. I understand its a cvt transmission.. "N/A" has popped up through my searches.. Like I said I really know nothing about car mechanics or if/why a turbo kit wouldn't be an option.... I need this car for the awd and room in the back for winter/ roadtrips, that's why I settled on the Impreza, as well as what I thought could be a "suped up subey" lolll. I'd love to know what I can do to this thing, I'm starting with tints, wheels and suspension, yet the big question is "and then what?" lol.

I'd appreciate any and all tips, sharing of knowledge to a beginner, and constructive criticism of any sort. Please help me out I love the car regardless but I need some help!! Reach out, thanks.
Not sure if this helps much but I recently got my mom for her car a perrin pitch stop mount to help with acceleration as well as a Perrin front strut brace as well for stability and it made a difference for sure it was noticeable

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Not sure if this helps much but I recently got my mom for her car a perrin pitch stop mount to help with acceleration as well as a Perrin front strut brace as well for stability and it made a difference for sure it was noticeable
That's actually interesting to hear; I've been meaning to get a front strut brace for a little while, that's good news that there was a difference. After some light research, dont know if I'm going to get a pitch stop mount just yet until I feel it's worth it.

·
Registered
19 Sport Hatch MT
157 Posts
That's actually interesting to hear; I've been meaning to get a front strut brace for a little while, that's good news that there was a difference. After some light research, dont know if I'm going to get a pitch stop mount just yet until I feel it's worth it.
Here's a cost effective option if you ever want to try it out. It's basically same as stock with firmer bushings that they used in STIs. I have a grimmspeed (non-race) pitch stop and will say that it does firm up that engine rocking motion on accel/decel, but if that motion doesn't bother you then buying a pitch stop wouldn't be worth it.

·
Registered
2017 Impreza Sport Hatchback 5speed
7 Posts
Here's a cost effective option if you ever want to try it out. It's basically same as stock with firmer bushings that they used in STIs. I have a grimmspeed (non-race) pitch stop and will say that it does firm up that engine rocking motion on accel/decel, but if that motion doesn't bother you then buying a pitch stop wouldn't be worth it.
I am a lead foot and when I want my car to go I expect it to. I was amazed how much better the response time my boring stock car has with a pitch stop lol

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I am a lead foot and when I want my car to go I expect it to. I was amazed how much better the response time my boring stock car has with a pitch stop lol
So I actually notice the engine rocking and I hate it.... I was not aware that the pitch stop is what counteracts that. I'll add it to the bucket list since you all are vouching for it 👍🏻

41 - 55 of 55 Posts