5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I noticed recently that every time I get into my car my ass rubs against the door weather stripping. It damaged it enough over the past few years I want to change it out now.

Can anyone give a quick How-To on removing this trim piece? It looks like it is just all plastic clips from behind. I'm looking at the diagram for the part number here: https://www.subarupartsdeal.com/parts/subaru-wstr-dr-f-lh~63511fl01a.html. Before I started tugging on the weather stripping I wanted to see if anyone else has already done this and could confirm it is just clipped on.

·
Administrator
2017 Imp 5 door. Auto, Red.
2,082 Posts
I have never done that and from the lack of answers maybe no one else on the forum has either. Maybe because our cars aren't that old and that part is something designed to last a long time? I dunno, strange that you are banging into it all of the time. Are you a big person?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'm a fat ass and I plop into the seat when I drive. My wife is the primary driver which is why its lasted this long I imagine. I still haven't looked real close but my suspicion is that I'll need to pull out a few interior panels first and it should just pull out in one direction or another.

·
Administrator
2017 Imp 5 door. Auto, Red.
2,082 Posts
Yeah, I'm a fat ass and I plop into the seat when I drive. My wife is the primary driver which is why its lasted this long I imagine. I still haven't looked real close but my suspicion is that I'll need to pull out a few interior panels first and it should just pull out in one direction or another.
Don't they kind of slide into grooves in the metal? Wish I could help you.

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
571 Posts
I just took a quick look at the gasket. It appears that the gasket sort of clips on the metal around the door. I don't think you need to remove the interior trim but it is possible. I didn't want to yank mine off becasue it appears to be held on by a channel of clips that sort of go on one direction and pulling it off will weaken the hold. Near as I can tell without actually doing it, you have to pull the old gasket off. Sort of tug it off with two hands. The new one will have to be installed with a rubber mallet lightly tapping in place. The trick will be to be sure it's lined up correctly. I'd take a pic before you remove the old one an pay attention to corners. Start at maybe the upper rear corner and work your way around.

Reactions: peter4jc

·
Registered
710 Posts
A lot of times, having a new part in hand helps with understanding how it installs. Do you have the new weatherstripping yet?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips, guys.

I ordered the weather strip piece and another plastic clip I broke installing my hitch. I don't have a tracking number yet but I'm thinking that seeing the new one in-hand will offer a lot of insight. Part of my question was about the clips, though. I can see on the parts diagram there are some but until I see one in person its not clear if I should buy a fresh set. Or if the new trim piece comes with them, etc.

It doesn't leak as best I can tell so it's not an emergency to fix it. I guess I'll be the guinea pig on this one.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I was obviously over-thinking this. It is literally as simple as pulling it off and pushing on the new one. There is only 1 small piece of plastic trim that needs to come out to access it all. It is the bottom door sill and it just pulls straight off. There are no plastic clips or retainers. The molding of the weather stripping squishes to hold it tight. I left the new one laid out in the sun for about 30 minutes. Its a nice sunny day so the old one was also pliable. After that it took a grand total of 3 minutes. I even adjusted the dash cam wire I have run in that tract better while it was off.

I'll just be sure to pull my ass in better from now on.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Perhaps another question would be "How to enter/exit vehicle without damaging the doorseal?"
The answer is: Sit into the seat with feet still on the ground... then swing feet into vehicle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts