5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had couple of really hot days with temperature going around 35C here in Massachusetts. I noticed that when I turn AC to maximum cool, the air is definitely not ice-cold (of course, I tested this after the car has been running for some time), and maybe it does not blow air strong enough when fan is turned up to max.

Any comments on what I should expect from Impreza AC, is it strong enough to be ice-cold in hot weather? Is it possible to easily check if it is working correctly?

·
Registered
122 Posts
When I first bought my car the AC would cool down and then not blow as cold then blow cold again. Not sure why. I personally think the ACs in our cars aren't like the ACs of old where it would get freaking cold. I drove down the shore this weekend with the passenger window opened half way due to smoking a cigar and AC on full blast and I was still sweating. Yes, I know the window was open but in my old car it wasn't nearly as bad.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I personally think the ACs in our cars aren't like the ACs of old where it would get freaking cold.
That's how I feel. I lived in Virginia, and it gets real hot there in the Summer. I feel like the AC in my 2000 Civic that I had at the time was stronger than in my 2019 Impreza.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The AC is very weak for sure. Anything 85F/30C and above, the AC will only make the temperature somewhat bearable but the air blown out does not feel cold at all.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I am sure the shop manual has details how to 'test' the function of the AC system. I do not have access to the details.

Typically, a thermometer is used infront of interior vent. There is a chart which describes acceptable tolerances based on outdoor temperature/humidity.

·
Registered
2018 Impreza base. 5MT
44 Posts
Typically a shop will hook up their air conditioning machine, which has two gauges on it. High and low pressure. Pressures will tell if system is operating correctly. Thermometer in the vents will tell if evaporator core is removing heat from the air. I agree that the a/c in the Impreza is lackluster. Make sure you regularly change HVAC filter (located behind the glove box), and use recirculation mode. Open the hood and look at the front of the a/c compressor it should run pretty consistent when hot out. If it appears to be cycling on and off quickly, there is an issue that should be checked out.

·
Registered
871 Posts
My AC cools well and this is in 100+ F heat in Texas. On a recent road trip, I did notice it doing some cycling off and on which is unusual. It's been 4 years since it was serviced (replaced condenser within first 3 mo because of road damage) so I hooked up a can of refrigerant and it took a little. Now it's blowing cold all the time again without any cycling.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Its been about 108 in TX, and my AC has been struggling but when I get moving it helps and starts to cool more. However the issue I have is from time to time it won't blow as hard, Ill have it at max and it feels like its about half power. Ill turn the AC off for a few seconds and turn it off and all is well again. Any ideas? For the most part the AC works good

·
Registered
871 Posts
Its been about 108 in TX, and my AC has been struggling but when I get moving it helps and starts to cool more. However the issue I have is from time to time it won't blow as hard, Ill have it at max and it feels like its about half power. Ill turn the AC off for a few seconds and turn it off and all is well again. Any ideas? For the most part the AC works good
Which version of AC controls do you have? Is it automated, or the manual temp and fan controls? My base model has the manual knobs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts