5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran across this post by DeanGibson on 8/11 and think it deserves to be re-posted under its own title: it solves the problem of the radio turning on every time the car starts:

What, you say, you don't have an AUX source? All the better. Just plug in a mini-stereo 3.5mm (1/8") stereo cable into the "AUX" input, and select that when you want to deselect other audio sources (like when you exit the vehicle). The other end of the cable need not be connected to anything. You can even just use a 3.5mm stereo plug.
In my Premium with 4x6" Infotainment display, I was easily able to add the AUX shortcut on the main display (use "Add Shortcut"). I plugged 3.5mm headphone cable into the AUX input in the center console, selected AUX on the Infotainment display, and experienced... silence!
Just tap on the Radio or other input to use them (you do not need to remove the 3.5mm jack).

I'm considering cutting the 3.5mm jack off the end of an old earbud set to save clutter in the center console

Thank you DeanGibson!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
And this does what exactly???

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And this does what exactly???
A lot of people on this forum--myself included--have expressed how annoying it is to turn the radio off (by pushing the hard button), turn the car off, then have the radio start playing at full volume the next time the car is turned on. This must be especially annoying when your teenagers are sharing the car with you.

With the technique suggested by DeanGibson instead of turning the radio off, simply press the AUX shortcut--the radio will be silenced until you select "Radio" on the Infotainment screen

·
Registered
177 Posts
Blessed silence

I... selected AUX on the Infotainment display, and experienced... silence!
Just tap on the Radio or other input to use them (you do not need to remove the 3.5mm jack).

I'm considering cutting the 3.5mm jack off the end of an old earbud set ...

Thank you DeanGibson!
If you select "Media" (console or screen icon), the Infotainment system will go back to the last-used "media" input. In my case that's always the AUX input, but if someone also uses other inputs for music (eg, Bluetooth), then your AUX shortcut is a quicker way to silence whatever prior input was being used.

Of course, the big advantage of either method, is that it is remembered across Infotainment system startups.

Reactions: NoData

·
Registered
6 Posts
Pressing the button in the middle of the volume knob activates the mute function. When you turn the car off the mute function goes off so the audio system is back on when you restart the car. To turn the audio system off press AND HOLD the button until it's completely off. This is what it says in the owners manual but it doesn't work that way. On mine (Premium) when the system goes off the screen goes dark, when you restart the car the audio comes back on with the screen dark. Doing anything relights the screen.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'll have to try this tomorrow.

Everybody that finds this annoying needs to send a quick email to Subaru and complain about the "feature" and maybe, just maybe do something about it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
WhiteDragon is right about mute and the head unit not remembering the muted state when the car is restarted, but it does remember the volume setting before muting. So, what I do is turn the volume down all the way, then press and hold the volume knob until the screen goes dark. The head unit will remember this state when you start the car again; both silent and dark.

If you listen to only only radio station like me, then you can turn the volume up and down without the screen turning on. I've gotten used to just turning the volume up and down instead of trying to turn the radio on and off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you want to have an elegant solution, there's a bunch of "mini jack buttons" on the market (can't paste links as I'm a newbie, just google "minijack button amazon")

It does not come out of the socket almost at all and "switches on" the AUX IN - so you can select it as an audio source and it will never go to radio automatically - only when you really select it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts