5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I gouged the leather on my steering wheel, and would like to replace it the whole cover. It's the one that came with the car.

Has anyone tried and had success doing this?

Thanks
Marc

·
Registered
2018 Hatch 5MT
117 Posts
You're probably best off finding an aftermarket leather cover that fits right. Lots of threads out there about fixing leather scratches/rips on steering wheels for other makes. Most of it boils down to the fix never looks like new using cheaper fixes OR throwing time and money at it (namely filling with leather salve and sanding, etc).

·
Registered
132 Posts
go to an auto upholstery shop. it wont be cheap, a new wheel out of the junkyard is your best bet.

Reactions: peaty

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've seen some leather repair shops do amazing work on ripped automotive seats, not sure how much money you want to throw at it. Perhaps a light wet sanding and colour touch up might work until you find a perfect fix.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I love how the steering wheel leather cover feels, so nice and soft and grainy leather , even nicer than the one on my WRX, it feels great.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Theres a sport steering wheel on ebay without a horn for about $100. Probably the easiest solution.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Probably not what you are looking for, but I got a vinyl steering cover at Walmart for $10. My stock wheel felt a little slippery and this one is grippy.

·
Registered
374 Posts
It's a vinyl coating. Not leather at all. I managed to bubble mine up in the 1 o'clock position after not letting my Purell hand sanitizer dry enough before holding the wheel. I have heard good things about Wheel Skins but never used or installed one myself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts