5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rumble sounds great in the lower RPMs/idling, it's a little too loud to my liking and there's a lot of vibration. Droning is some what annoying too, I'm most likely gonna put the exhaust back on, I bet my neighbours don't like my early morning cold start either. Still waiting on actual exhaust system! anyone do a custom one yet?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I appreciate hearing your experience with the muffler delete! It seems like the muffler on our car has a pretty significant dampen to the vibration and drone you talked about. It is pretty big too. Borla has recently updated their muffler/axleback Impreza option for the 2017 model. It looks like a quality piece. It has the same size diameter piping as stock, but the muffler is a bit smaller.

https://www.borla.com/products/impreza_xv_crosstrek_axleback_exhaust_stype_part__11843.html

·
Registered
26 Posts
I appreciate hearing your experience with the muffler delete! It seems like the muffler on our car has a pretty significant dampen to the vibration and drone you talked about. It is pretty big too. Borla has recently updated their muffler/axleback Impreza option for the 2017 model. It looks like a quality piece. It has the same size diameter piping as stock, but the muffler is a bit smaller.

https://www.borla.com/products/impreza_xv_crosstrek_axleback_exhaust_stype_part__11843.html
That would be an outstanding muffler for people that would like a little more sound.

This (from their site) is interesting as well;
2013-2017 Subaru Impreza/ XV Crosstrek 2.0L Automatic/Manual Trans. All Wheel Drive.5 door. I wonder if other systems from that MY range will fit? I tried to find a good picture of the stock 17 system but failed horribly. Will have to take a close look and grab some measurements tonight when the wife gets home with the car. There could be many many options if the 2013 to 2017 range is indeed the same set up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Pictures would be greatly appreciated !!
Was pouring rain last night when she got home and I didn't want to roll around in the wet but will try to get some pics and measurements this weekend. Be interested to know if there are indeed existing systems that would fit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
$8 muffler delete. No drone and no rasp AND sounds better than the borla axleback (brother has one on his tc). Just head to advance auto or auto zone and pick up a 1.3/4 inch exhaust elbow and a 2 inch clamp. Takes about 10 mins and there's a noticible gain, did NOT lose low end torque and did gain top end. (On manual 4 door)

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
$8 muffler delete. No drone and no rasp AND sounds better than the borla axleback (brother has one on his tc). Just head to advance auto or auto zone and pick up a 1.3/4 inch exhaust elbow and a 2 inch clamp. Takes about 10 mins and there's a noticible gain, did NOT lose low end torque and did gain top end. (On manual 4 door)
do you have part numbers ? can't find it on auto zone website.

Also, does anybody know if the dealer/Subaru might not like the change and deny service ?

·
Administrator
785 Posts

Also, does anybody know if the dealer/Subaru might not like the change and deny service ?
Probably wouldn't deny service, but it could cause an issue with warranty work. It's never clear cut with certain mods. I've heard stories of "looking the other way" and stories of being extremely strict. Thats why I'm hesitant to do anything. Of course you could always add the parts back.

·
Registered
778 Posts
technically they could only deny warranty to the cat back system as that is all that is changing. they cannot by law deny warranty work on other parts of the car unless they can prove the removal of the muffler causes said concern. as for service work goes, they may not "like" it but I don't see them denying service because you took your muffler off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey guys I see you questioning warranty. And I've bought imprezas in both Massachusetts and florida and what they both told me is that the warranty in only voided when the engine is tuned. Therefore: intakes, cat-backs, and any BOLT ON part does NOT void warranty. On top of that they also said that they lie to big heads and/or insurance companies for you so that they don't void anything. Subaru is amazing

·
Registered
157 Posts
LOL. Likely not a great thing to put in writing (lie to big heads/insurance companies).

Subaru voids bone stock cars that are driven on track. They caught **** for this after offering free SCCA memberships to STI drivers 5-7 years ago, and then voiding the warranties if they drove the cars on track.

How warranty is handled is dealer to dealer. I'd be careful.

·
Administrator
785 Posts
I was always under the impression only the manufacturer and not the dealer determines how warranties are handled? Is this not true?

·
Registered
45 Posts
As a service advisor (not at Subaru) most warranties are not voided unless the engine is tampered, they may not be able to do or diagnose a vehicle if a modification has been made but that doesn't void the warranty, it just makes the warranty claim declined.

·
Registered
42 Posts

Unfortunatley that is not for 2017 imprezas, they dont make one yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts

So I contacted my dealership a while back asking if it would void warranty and my gut said they might try to deny it but they have to prove it. He pretty much told me not to get one welded on and jsut to switch it back to the OEM before bring it in for service etc.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts