5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

I just can't have nice things :'(

5K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  ab815 
#1 · (Edited)
So was home in my apartment watching some T.V. last night around 10:30 pm. Just getting ready for bed when one of my neighbors knocks on my door and tells me someone just hit my car and another car in our parking lot.

So I am like WTF of coarse and get dress and go outside to see what kind of damage had been done.

What I was met with was all my neighbors outside and a couple of police officers. The impact was so hard and loud that almost my entire apartment complex herd it and went outside.

Some Indian kid that did not even have a license to drive backed what I assume is his parents RAV4 out of it's parking spot and into the car across the lot that was parked next to me with such speed/force that it actually pushed the car parked next to me into my car and then pushed my car a good 3 feet sideways.

It blew out the window in my car and the back window of the Rav4 and my entire roof was covered with glass.

Then when the tow truck came to tow our cars away, the Tow truck driver used a bristle shop broom to sweep the glass off my roof completely destroying the paint on my roof.

Not to mention, on top of the driver's door and window being destroyed, it appears that the body is bent.

The body to hatch gaps are now wider on the drivers side that got hit in the front than on the passenger side.

As you can see the white car that was parked next to me is definitely totaled and I think my car might be as well. The impact also appears to have pushed my whole dashboard toward the passenger side and knock the passenger side tweeter grill out of place.

At least I managed to put a whopping 6,000 miles on this one before it got destroyed unlike the 1,600 I put on my last one ?

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Part of me wants the insurance company to total it because it will never be the same to me after receiving this much damage and part of me wants them to fix it and give me money for the depreciated value.

I know if the insurance company totals it they will say it lost thousands of dollars in value because it's 2 years old.
Even though it only has 6,000 miles on it and even thought I have barely owned it longer than a year ( yes I got it band new, it was a 2017 leftover that I got in early summer of 2018 ).

So I will most likely be out a couple of thousand dollars. They would most likely pay off what I owe on it and I will be out the $6,000 dollars I put as a down payment and the almost $5,000 that I have made in car payments.

I could sue the owner of the Rav4 if that happens but I am not super in the know on property damage law ( at that point it would not be a " car " thing with insurance but a personal property thing with the courts. He would have damaged my personal property.
I would have to go to court and prove all the monetary damages I had revive and even then i would not get the full amount to replace the car because they will say I drove it for a year. That's going under the assumption that I even win the judgment.

On the other hand if they fix it
They would have to replace the Front door and fender, interior door panel, the window w/ vin etching. Fix the dashboard, straiten the body on the driver's side, paint the entire drivers side ( there are a lot of paint chips and scratch that don't show up well in the pick going all the way from the front fender to the rear hatch ), paint the roof, and I think there is some suspension damage from being pushed sideways on asphalt a few feet from the impact.

I know it would give me problem down the road like squeaks and rattles, leaks etc.
Also what would happen to my new car bumper to bumper warranty? The dealership or Subaru could say a random clunk or noise or component failure was caused by the accident or the repair.

So basically no matter what it seems like I am going to loose something.
It sucks

I will hopefully know more tomorrow if his insurance claims adjuster or the one from my insurance company gets a hold of me. The claims adjusters don't work on the weekends ( must be nice )

I also have a better pic of the Rav4 that hit our cars. They are still driving it like nothing happened.

#5 ·
I feel for you. I was broadsided in a Forester a few years ago. Five thousand dollars in repairs which included straightening the frame. Perfect when repaired.

But when it was traded shortly thereafter I lost $5k in value.

Now I buy Gap Insurance. Live and learn.

Still hurts.

#7 ·
That is what I did when I lived in Boston, I drove a heap of garbage, never even locked it. No one ever messed with it. Buses and cabs wouldn't even play chicken with me! LOL:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Curious as to what the car was? A 1978 Chevy Estate Wagon, baby blue with fake wood on the side and about two hundred surf stickers on the back windows. It was our summer car on the island of MV for years and years.

#12 ·
Well it's officially totaled.
So I bought a Certified used 2017 Legacy Sport fully loaded. With 40k miles on it.
My car payments are lower and my insurance is cheaper. I did put a good chunk down for a down payment.
I also opted to get the Subaru Gold Warranty
Damn this car is so sexy in pearl white. :love:

#15 ·
I am curious as to if you are going to file a civil claim against the driver. If it was me, I absolutely would. I ended up not having to when I was hit 6ish years ago. The at fault insurance company gave us a good settlement.

#16 ·
His insurance is taking liability. Now I have to wait for my wreaked Impreza to sell at auction.
Seems like this guy does not even have enough coverage to cover both my car and the white one ( which was also totaled ). My claim alone is in the neighborhood of $25k. I can only assume that the white cars insurance company is going to be in the same range.
So if this guy only has $30k worth of insurance then I will not get all of my out of pocket expenses back.
His insurance company has already told me they are questioning if he has enough coverage
So I am almost certain that this guy doesn't have any money to sue for.
I will have to take him to court and if I win he will probably just claim bankruptcy and I will still be out money.

Can't get blood from a stone

So for now I just have to wait while mine and his insurance company's battle over getting money out of this guy.

#17 ·
Sorry that all of this has happened to you. Thankfully when I got hit my car was not totaled out. Since I have not had that experience I am not sure how it all works, or why you would have to wait for your vehicle to sell at auction. I am not sure how much insurance the guy had that hit me, but I was out nothing out of pocket when it came to my claim with his insurance. They paid for all of my repairs (didn't even have a deductible since I was not at fault) and picked up the tab for a rental while mine was being fixed. That isn't to say that I didn't have to fight for a few things (car seat replacement and a second tire since my vehicle was AWD) but they ended up paying for everything. Although we claimed no injuries initially we were all sore for a few days, and they ended up cutting us checks for compensation.

You may want to talk to your insurance agent about all of this. Mine was a good help with that whole incident. Initially his insurance bulked at the rental, my insurance said that if they wouldn't get me one the next day that they would...and then just go after his insurance for repayment.

His insurance is taking liability. Now I have to wait for my wreaked Impreza to sell at auction.
Seems like this guy does not even have enough coverage to cover both my car and the white one ( which was also totaled ). My claim alone is in the neighborhood of $25k. I can only assume that the white cars insurance company is going to be in the same range.
So if this guy only has $30k worth of insurance then I will not get all of my out of pocket expenses back.
His insurance company has already told me they are questioning if he has enough coverage
So I am almost certain that this guy doesn't have any money to sue for.
I will have to take him to court and if I win he will probably just claim bankruptcy and I will still be out money.

Can't get blood from a stone

So for now I just have to wait while mine and his insurance company's battle over getting money out of this guy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.