5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that my new Impreza is a magnet for damage; my windshield was cracked from a rock on my second week of ownership, then a branch fell on my roof as I drove under a tree on a windy day, leaving a small ding, then on Monday night, some @$$hat scraped my driver's side rear door! I'm fairly certain I know who did it, but I'm less certain about being able to actually prove it. So, I've decided that I should get myself a decent dashcam for the NEXT moron who hits my car, but I don't have a clue which cam is worth considering. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
760 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
I like the Garmin dash cams... simple but effective. Hardwire it and it'll record things going on around the car when parked as well.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have a Thinkware F200 in my Impreza. It has been the best one so far out of about 3 different brands I've used in past cars. It is a front/back setup and all the wires tucked away perfectly down to the center console. They seem to have better models now but I give their mid range one a thumbs up.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a Vantrue N2 pro. So far I like it. It just depends on what you want. You can get camera's that have a camera mounted on the back to get the rear. On mine it seems it was made more for uber drivers and has a nice 1080p rear camera. On my wifes bmw I just leave it set that way because you can sometimes still see through the rear window. For me I opted to turn off the rear facing camera and have the higher quality picture on the forward facing camera. My only issue with it is I have led headlights and I feel the license plates get washed out a little bit due to the reflective plates/led bulbs but other than that it's great. It was maybe $180 on Amazon. I don't have it hard wired into my car so I don't have parking lot monitoring turned on.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a Thinkware Q800 Pro which works pretty well with a 1440p front and 1080p rear camera.

The latest version has a 4K front and a 1440p (QHD) rear camera.

Heck, I got hit just last friday and it recorded the collision perfectly - not that any insurance company seems interested in the footage ?.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Heck, I got hit just last friday and it recorded the collision perfectly - not that any insurance company seems interested in the footage ?.
Really they aren't interested? Well that would piss my off. lol. I got my cameras because someone turned in front of me crossing traffic while I was going 50 mph. It totaled my 13 day old bmw. The majority of the impact was on my driver front corner and his was on his passenger front. He admitted to police that he thought I was turning right even though it was a 4 lane highway with completely different turning lanes. It took almost a year for them to finally close the case and get back my deductible. I figured cameras would be a smart thing to have. lol. My wife also got hit in the rear on the highway and the guy took off. Both happened within a few months of each other.

·
Registered
85 Posts
It took almost a year for them to finally close the case and get back my deductible. I figured cameras would be a smart thing to have. lol. My wife also got hit in the rear on the highway and the guy took off. Both happened within a few months of each other.
My final straw was when I got hit on the front passenger's side which dented the fender, then less than a year later getting hit again in exactly the same spot. (My wife wouldn't even let me use insurance the second time for fear of how it would affect our rates).

I rarely pass that quadrant of the car, so have no idea how much time passed before I detected each of the hits.

I was thinking of upgrading the Q800 Pro to a newer 4K front/QHD rear version, but that depends on whether I can get some advantage out of this footage. If it doesn't do me any good to have the film, what's the use of increasing the resolution of the cameras?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why on earth would you NOT make a claim? It was 100% the fault of the other driver, and you have the proof!

BTW, anybody have any luck with any of those Amazon dashcams?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Amazon dash cams? I have a Try Ace, it's the cheap of the cheap. I think I was 40 bucks, 3 years ago with a 4gb micro sd. It's horrible quality in today's HD standards even though it markets as HD. I'm due for an upgrade bad... but I'm having trouble in picking one myself.. as my cheap of the cheap has never let me down. I never need to format the 4gb card that lasts 2-3 days of driving before over write. No heat problems either. It's not convenient to take the micro sd card out to download the videos but I can't complain about the price. I am leaning to a garmin for the voice controls... But I am still undecided.

here's my cheap Amazon dash cam footage:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Amazon dash cams? I have a Try Ace, it's the cheap of the cheap. I think I was 40 bucks, 3 years ago with a 4gb micro sd. It's horrible quality in today's HD standards even though it markets as HD. I'm due for an upgrade bad... but I'm having trouble in picking one myself.. as my cheap of the cheap has never let me down. I never need to format the 4gb card that lasts 2-3 days of driving before over write. No heat problems either. It's not convenient to take the micro sd card out to download the videos but I can't complain about the price. I am leaning to a garmin for the voice controls... But I am still undecided.

here's my cheap Amazon dash cam footage:
I have a dashcam from Anker ROAV... the A1 model, but they have several - the A1 is a couple of years old. It has worked very well for me, I think I paid less than $50 when I got it. It is only a front facing camera, with HD and will record when parked it the car is bumped. It also links to a phone app to download videos through wifi. Some of the newer models I think have additional features.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Why on earth would you NOT make a claim? It was 100% the fault of the other driver, and you have the proof!

BTW, anybody have any luck with any of those Amazon dashcams?
Well, when I was hit on the front passenger fender (both times) I had no proof, no knowledge of whodunnit, and no knowledge of exactly when or where it was done.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well, I got a call from Allstate (the other party's insurance company) and learned they were accepting responsibility for the accident.

The Allstate agent even thanked me for this video. (Wonder if the other party tried to snooker their insurance company?)

Looks like I'll be going ahead with the upgrade from the Thinkware Pro Q800 (QHD front/FHD rear) to the new Thinkware U1000 (4K front/QHD rear) now that I know that insurance companies will accept video evidence for helping to determine fault :).

Reactions: tzd

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well, I guess I was so obsessed with my own accident that I didn't really give many details of my dashcams.

The Thinkware Q800 Pro has a 1440p (QHD) front camera and a rear 1080p (FHD) camera. You can buy the Q800 single channel and add the rear camera later (something you can't do with most dashcams).

The unit itself is fairly nondescript, and links via wifi to your phone or other hotspot. It records video to a micro SD card in one minute video files, and contains a built-in GPS so it knows its location and time.

The Q800 features a sophisticated buffered parking mode which means that if there is an impact while parked, it will record 10 seconds prior to and subsequent from the impact. If so configured, it will also record motion while parked with an optional time-lapse mode if you want to conserve memory card space. If you're involved in an accident, it will record 10 seconds before and after impact. It can also be configured to record continuously. Continuous or parking mode can be configured to overlay old footage with new as the memory card reaches capacity.

It also features forward collision, and lane departure warnings (which I disable as I have EyeSight).

Parking mode requires hardwiring into the fuse box so the dashcam can be powered after you turn off the ignition. It features voltage monitoring so it won't drain your battery too far (though you can get optional battery packs). You can transfer footage to your in-phone app or remove the memory card and view location/footage on your computer.

The Q800 can also download and install stoplight camera data and will warn you as you're coming to intersections with stoplight or speed traps.

The U1000 is the next generation Thinkware dashcam with 4K front (or QHD 60fps) and QHD rear cameras. It has all the same features as the Q800, and has the option of a radar module which it uses as an energy saving feature in parking mode allowing for longer surveillance (by powering down the unit and powering up when radar senses an approaching vehicle).

The U1000 dual channel (two cameras) runs around $450 and includes both cameras, hardwiring kit, cigarette adaptor, Cirular Polarizing filter, clips, cables (and I think) a spudging tool. The single channel version costs around $350. The U1000 is cable compatible with the Q800 and (I think) the F200 which is the FHD/FHD model prior to the Q800 Pro. At this juncture I can only offer testimony about the Q800 as this is the only model I've owned (and the U1000 hasn't arrived yet).

The Q800 and U1000 use Sony Starvis cameras which greatly improve their night performance. I think the U1000 also shoots with wide dynamic range to keep the frame evenly exposed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts