5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 impreza that I want to put bigger tires on. It has the 17 inch stock premium wheels. What are the biggest most aggresive tire I can put on those rims without any rubbing or other problems? I also have a set of stock 16inch rims from an older impreza but would prefer to use the 17s since I keep blizacks on the 16s for winter. Can anyone point me in the rite direction?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yeah. 2012 is a 4th generation Impreza.

Remember when you talk about wheels, on multilink suspension, you always want the lightest, tire / wheel arrangement that you can put together. . Larger diameter rims are not always the answer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
255/55R17 is the biggest you can go or 215/65R16 both are 27 inch diameter overall. Your two options are Falken Wildpeaks which I own and love. Or Nitto Grapplers which they don't make in 16s for my 2018 premium. Either will look great I'm sure.
I attached a picture of that size wheel in my wheel well prior to lifting.
Wheel Car Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

·
Registered
224 Posts
255/55R17 is the biggest you can go or 215/65R16 both are 27 inch diameter overall. Your two options are Falken Wildpeaks which I own and love. Or Nitto Grapplers which they don't make in 16s for my 2018 premium. Either will look great I'm sure.
I attached a picture of that size wheel in my wheel well prior to lifting.
Is your advice based on a 2012 Impreza or your 2018?

·
Registered
8 Posts
If your tires don't rub and your calipers can fit into your wheel there is no issue. Because of this generally speaking if you can stay within a overall tire diameter by changing you wheel width and height ratios you can find tire options for your wheel that technically don't fit according to factory spec. But still work fine but require different tire pressure then what's on your door placard. Mine are running 26lbs of air instead of 33lbs because my new tires are rated for higher loads.

·
Registered
224 Posts
If your tires don't rub and your calipers can fit into your wheel there is no issue. Because of this generally speaking if you can stay within a overall tire diameter by changing you wheel width and height ratios you can find tire options for your wheel that technically don't fit according to factory spec. But still work fine but require different tire pressure then what's on your door placard. Mine are running 26lbs of air instead of 33lbs because my new tires are rated for higher loads.
Where did you get 27.3 diameter max? Stock is 25.1''

You didn't bother to tell the OP that going from the stock tire size to the one you 'say' fits, when their speedometer is reading 55, they be going 60- nice way to get people tickets.
You forgot to mention the 255/55R17 size you recommended is an SUV tire size and it's almost 2'' wider than stock.
Also neither the Grapplers or the Wildpeaks come in a 255/55R17

The tires you put on based on what you posted are only .2'' wider- how the heck are you telling someone online a tire that is 2'' wider and 2'' taller is going to fit?

·
Registered
308 Posts
I ran 215/65r16 BFG ko2s at both stock ride height and with a 2-in lift kit on. At stock the rears would only rub slightly if you got near bottoming out the rear suspension, otherwise it was fine. I had no issues in the front. That's a 27-in tire BTW and wheels matching the factory offset.

I'm currently running 235/75r15 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/Ts (29in diameter) Tires rub like a mofo front and rear even with my lift kit. I kind of expected it to be an issue so I installed the Crosstrek struts and springs that I acquired super cheap a while back, still rubbing. I ordered some Rallitek 1-in lift springs for the front and 1 in overload lift springs for the rear (I frequently have two or three adults riding in the back during Uber rides so I figured the overload springs would be helpful when carrying the extra mass). Just installed the rear springs last night and all is well back there. Currently waiting on the front springs to get manufactured. Going to order Crosstrek subframe mounts to help give me even more wheel well clearance as well as help with alignment.

So what's the largest tire you can fit on an impreza? How much are you willing to compromise and how much are you willing to cut? If you keep in mind the speedometer inaccuracy and are willing to accept that then I'd say go for 27in diameter max. Anything larger and you're talking major modifications.
29s on an Impreza is stupid, but I love it and I'm willing to accept the compromises.

Don't worry I'll post pics later 😉

·
Registered
38 Posts
Larger diameter tires bring less sidewall. This can be a problem in states with potholes. My Daughter hit a washout/pothole while driving to work one morning in the dark. Two damaged rims and a tow to the shop to get replacement rims. The higher sidewall 16" same diameter tire is more forgiving of potholes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Larger diameter tires bring less sidewall. This can be a problem in states with potholes. My Daughter hit a washout/pothole while driving to work one morning in the dark. Two damaged rims and a tow to the shop to get replacement rims. The higher sidewall 16" same diameter tire is more forgiving of potholes.
That's not generally correct if you're staying the same or smaller size wheels. If you're wanting a larger diameter and plan on using a tire that fits your current wheels the sidewall is still a ratio to your width (the 2nd number on the tire) Should result in a large sidewall. Example 205/55R16 is a 25.1 inch diameter with a 4.4 inch sidewall where as a 215/65R16 is a 27 inch diameter with a 5.5 inch sidewall.
Unless you're raising your wheel size to 17 or 18 and choosing a tire with a 30% wheel base ratio IE 215/30R18 then you would obviously see a larger diameter with a whimpy low profile sidewall.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Where did you get 27.3 diameter max? Stock is 25.1''

You didn't bother to tell the OP that going from the stock tire size to the one you 'say' fits, when their speedometer is reading 55, they be going 60- nice way to get people tickets.
You forgot to mention the 255/55R17 size you recommended is an SUV tire size and it's almost 2'' wider than stock.
Also neither the Grapplers or the Wildpeaks come in a 255/55R17

The tires you put on based on what you posted are only .2'' wider- how the heck are you telling someone online a tire that is 2'' wider and 2'' taller is going to fit?
Firstly the mph difference I experience and most people experience is about 2mph. If you're lifting and going bigger on your tires and you drive like you think you're an STI and get pulled over it won't be the 2 mph difference it'll be because you're going 80 in a 60 or some dumb shit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts