5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...due to the torque vectoring system?

We all know that the torque vectoring system on your cars is a brake based system. So the car is using the brakes to go around a turn and make your turn in better even if you are on the gas.

Seems to me we are going to be going through brake pads a lot quicker.

·
Registered
730 Posts
...due to the torque vectoring system?

We all know that the torque vectoring system on your cars is a brake based system. So the car is using the brakes to go around a turn and make your turn in better even if you are on the gas.

Seems to me we are going to be going through brake pads a lot quicker.
That is an interesting question & now that you mentioned this, I wonder the same thing. The service schedule at 24000 miles recommends "disc brake pads and discs" among other things. Wonder how much the dealer would charge for this service.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Brakes are not replaced on a schedule. The maintenance schedule says to INSPECT the brakes for wear every 12 months/12,000 miles. This is true for every Subaru...basically with every car to make sure a critical safety system is working properly. Generally, brakes will last 40-60,000+ miles. There are other Subaru owners with brakes that last 100,000+ miles. It depends how you drive and the type of driving you do. Brake fluid should be changed every 30 months or 36,000 miles as modern brake fluid is very hydroscopic and performance suffers with accumulated moisture in the fluid.

The Sport actually has slightly larger front discs to improve braking performance...this will also help to mitigate brake wear. Have your brakes inspected at each oil change and monitor the disc thickness over time. It will be years and many miles until brake pads need replacement.

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jeff a lot of this is kind of "obvious" (but maybe not to everyone so good info there), my point was that a car with torque vectoring using the brake system is no doubt going to go through brake pads and discs faster than a car without. And I was just pondering if it will be noticeable.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Brakes are not replaced on a schedule. The maintenance schedule says to INSPECT the brakes for wear every 12 months/12,000 miles. This is true for every Subaru...basically with every car to make sure a critical safety system is working properly. Generally, brakes will last 40-60,000+ miles. There are other Subaru owners with brakes that last 100,000+ miles. It depends how you drive and the type of driving you do. Brake fluid should be changed every 30 months or 36,000 miles as modern brake fluid is very hydroscopic and performance suffers with accumulated moisture in the fluid.

The Sport actually has slightly larger front discs to improve braking performance...this will also help to mitigate brake wear. Have your brakes inspected at each oil change and monitor the disc thickness over time. It will be years and many miles until brake pads need replacement.
this. i agree that other factors such as driving style and rotational mass(ie. larger, heavier aftermarket wheels) that would affect pad wear greater than the torque vectoring, but i'm no engineer so i can't say for sure:grin2:! just keep an eye on those pads and you'll be fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts