5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tested there coils to see if they are staying on? has anyone had there car diagnosed with a coil remaining on situation. if so which coil remained on (cyl 1,2,3,4?) ????

·
Registered
76 Posts
From my understanding, it's not individual coils with a problem but a programming problem which has them energized too long.

·
Registered
410 Posts
All four of ours were replaced due to damage. As well as the program. It’s a recall so no need to mess with it yourself. Have your dealer work it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
422 Posts
What is the criterion for "damage"? A DTC after they have failed?

I haven't seen Subaru offer any extended warranty on these parts if they have been damaged from this programming error but issues only show up after the ECM software update.

·
Registered
45 Posts
For those that have done this recall and have had the coils replaced, what mileage are you up to?
If they didn't replace the coils, what mileage are you up to?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Mine had less than 2K miles when I went in for the recall, I just got the car. Mine was not effected but they did re-flash the ECU from what I understand. My service department guy said less than 2% (or some small number I can't remember exactly) were effected.

·
Registered
602 Posts
They told me the coils were inspected for cracks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
When I went for mine, they told me it has nothing to do with coils, only the ECU programming. When I showed them the recall info and paperwork I had that stated to inspect and replace damaged coils, they said they don't do that and it's for reprogramming only... but that is just one of many reasons why I am moving on from that location.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yup, my "service advisor" was totally untrustworthy and was not correct in telling me about what was done to my car (don't know if the better word is lies or ignorance - perhaps both).

·
Registered
66 Posts
I been trying to stay positive and handle things like this through the appropriate channels. Part of me has the odd feeling that for all the things they "dont know" or "cant diagnose", as soon as my car is at 36001 miles, they will have all the answers and know exactly what to replace or fix (for a cost of course since warranty will be up...)

So if anyone knows how to check the coils at home, please do share. Maybe there is a test procedure in the factory service manual or something? I just cant trust that they have done their due diligence in all aspects of the recall.

·
Registered
410 Posts
It’s also the service advisor. They don’t actually know too much. It’s the mechanics who end up doing what needs to be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
As the point of contact to the customer, the service advisors giving the wrong or incorrect info makes the mechanics/dealership look bad then. So that kinda comes down to poor training and employee development.

Although I think the mechanics have shown me enough evidence to look bad on their own too.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just for reference, this is a screenshot from my "MySubaru" regarding the recall being done on my Impreza.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts