5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

What is your impression of the 5th Gen Impreza Engine Power?

• Have 5 speed manual, feels like engine makes a lot of power

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Have 5 speed manual, feels like engine makes enough power

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Have 5 speed manual, feels like engine needs a little more power

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • Have 5 speed manual, feels like engine needs a lot more power

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Have CVT transmission, feels like engine makes a lot of power

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Have CVT transmission, feels like engine makes enough power

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • Have CVT transmission, feels like engine needs a little more power

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • Have CVT transmission, feels like engine needs a lot more power

Votes: 4 9.3%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think with the somewhat frequent mention of how underpowered this engine is that a poll is in order to get opinions. Unfortunately, it will probably only allow you to vote once, and with no option to change your vote at a later date. My personal impression is that the engine seems to run stronger every day as the miles accumulate, and that getting past the break-in period has helped my enjoyment of the engine power that is there. I also think transmission type may factor into the personal perception of how strong or weak the engine is.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It is known that during break-in period, the engine feels more sluggish.

I have 10000 km on my impreza and I gotta say it did get way better then when i first brought it home.

Its no race car though, and I'm still hoping to be able to find mods to bump the power a little bit.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I base my impression on how well it merges into 70 mph traffic and how well it maintains speed in hilly country. I like the feel and it seems to do those things pretty well. The CVT also helps with the hills on cruise control because you don't get the jarring shift as it downshifts to maintain speed that I've seen on other vehicles. It's not doing burnouts but its plenty competent in day to day duties.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I base my impression on how well it merges into 70 mph traffic and how well it maintains speed in hilly country. I like the feel and it seems to do those things pretty well. The CVT also helps with the hills on cruise control because you don't get the jarring shift as it downshifts to maintain speed that I've seen on other vehicles. It's not doing burnouts but its plenty competent in day to day duties.
Yeah, for me it is the opposite. My old Golf TDI handled hills like they weren't even there. It rarely had to downshift due to the turbo & low-end torque. The Impreza with the CVT has to start revving up quite a bit to handle hills, and if I'm not using cruise control, I feel like I have to step on the accelerator way more. Psychologically, going up hills makes me feel like I'm hurting the Subie, but the Golf just handled them without breaking a sweat.

Honestly, I think the Impreza could use a bit of hybrid tech - a nice electric motor to give it that torque boost assist when needed might go a long way. I just rented a Hyundai Sonata hybrid and was amazed at how much "go" it had for the size & weight of the car. Oh, and it averaged 39mpg.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts