5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone who already has their Sport model with the manual trans, what are your impressions about its motor, clutch, and trans please?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bought one Saturday, a sedan sport with manual. The Motor is a little louder it seems then the automatic at higher RPMS. The shifting is a little clunky feeling but, I think that is more being used to the Civic we had before. The clutch is really easy to push and does take a little bit getting used to, but once again I think I am used to the Civic. Overall I like the car and the way it drives. Sorry don't have a real in-depth review as its the wives DD and I can't get her out of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been driving my perl white '17 sport 5dr 5spd for about 3 weeks now. So far i'm impressed by the ride quality and suspension setup. I'm longing for a little more pep from the motor, but it's about what i expected form a small naturaly asparated 4cyl. I do like how the engine sounds a lot.

I've had pretty good luck with the infotainment system, my biggest gripe has been a handfull of times that apple carplay doesn't connect and it seems to last for the entire drive cycle, but goes back to working the next time i go somewhere.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I picked up my Silver '17 sport 5dr 5spd last week and now have about 1,000 miles on it. Haven't really beat on it, figured i'd break it in a bit, but the clutch definitely takes a little getting used to, as i came from a jetta tdi clutch and you really don't have to hit the throttle for those to go. Strangely when the car is cold and has its blue temp light on the clutch feels more grabby, or maybe its just me. I'm still iffy on the hill assist, not sure if one can shut that off or not.

Didn't expect the 2.0 to run like a raped ape or anything but it'll go if you're in the right gear, really starting to enjoy it now. Sounds great and handles great so far as well.

The Harman Kardon sound system is a bit different than most, everyone that's been in the car so far has mentioned it as well, cant seem to get it to sound just right throughout the car at lower volumes, but if you crank it up it sounds great.

My dislikes are the rubber floor mats they give ya don't cover as much carpet as i'd like it to and they couldn't get me a roof rack either. Guess i'll have to wait until someone comes out with aftermarket goodies for them since there is pretty much nothing as of yet.

·
Registered
98 Posts
they couldn't get me a roof rack either. Guess i'll have to wait until someone comes out with aftermarket goodies for them since there is pretty much nothing as of yet.
Yakima currently makes a roof rack for the 2017 Sport with fixed point mounts. My dealer said Subaru should be releasing a rack this year for it as well (probably Thule?). I was going to wait until that came out to compare prices and features.

$700 to buy a roof rack and ski carrier for my $250 skis to save $35 in ski rentals. I'm broken.:laugh:

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have a set of weathertech on order.
The Subura mats not to my liking.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And returning this thread please to its original purpose, any others bought or test driven a 2017 Sport with the five speed manual? What did/do you think of it please?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've driven the manual for almost 4000 kms. I enjoy it and the clutch does take getting use to.

My old 2009 civic si's tranny was much smoother and easier to just drop the clutch and go with no bogging. Although that car was modded a little bit. (skunk2 intake, skunk2 header, magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, coilovers, flashpro, tuned by vitviper.

Honestly, after my 4cyl civic making around 220whp, I feel the impreza is a little on the slow end of the spectrum.

The gear changes are getting better except when i try to shift from 1st gear redline to second.

It feels like it drops off the powerband and bogs when I redline first gear. Not sure how to fix that.

Overall: Everything is smooth, even 1st if I shift at 5k rpm instead of redline. It will feel like the power band is still pulling in second. Might be the gearing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the manual 5 speed Sport and approximately 1,000 km and I too came from a honda. I have driven a clutch for over 40 years on sportier cars. I have found that "out of the hole" when you hit the gas pedal that there is a fairly significant delay. This delay makes upshifting from 1st to 2nd gear not very smooth. On higher gears this is not as evident. When downshifting into corners and accelerating, again this delay is an issue, as not getting the immediate response from the pedal that you would hope for. Not to happy about this delay, but have not returned to the Dealer for any potential remedy. The clutch is a bit different, but am getting used to it. I too would have liked a bit more power. Has anyone found remedy for these issues? My Daughter likes the built in brake when engaging clutch on a hill.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yah, the hill assist is not bad. Although more then once I have burnt the clutch due to the instinct of giving more gas when the car doesn't move forward.

I was able to turn it off but the permanent light on the dash bothered me more then the hill assist.

I have owned 4 manual hondas and all the transmissions were amazing.
1993 prelude SRV,
1999 Civic hatchback (with b18c type r)
2008 civic si (modded)
2009 civic si (modded)

I would love it if someone found a remedy for the delay as well.
When I gas it from 1st to 2nd; I also feel the delay or bogging.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I know we have drive by wire on our imprezas which I hate, but getting use to it, their is a gizmo to make DBW
Like throttlecable of old which I prefer
I guess we get use to it sooner or later

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'm sure OFT will come out with something that you can use an OTS tune and it'll remedy that. The BRZ is the same way and it took a fair amount of time to get used to. Miss the good ol' days of throttle cable and instant response.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yah, the hill assist is not bad. Although more then once I have burnt the clutch due to the instinct of giving more gas when the car doesn't move forward.

I was able to turn it off but the permanent light on the dash bothered me more then the hill assist.

I have owned 4 manual hondas and all the transmissions were amazing.
1993 prelude SRV,
1999 Civic hatchback (with b18c type r)
2008 civic si (modded)
2009 civic si (modded)

I would love it if someone found a remedy for the delay as well.
When I gas it from 1st to 2nd; I also feel the delay or bogging.
That's why I like to think the new Civic Hatch was a response to the Impreza, it's one of the last pieces of the puzzle that Honda needed for its line up. Just look at how many sold.
[/PHP]

·
Registered
74 Posts
I did take a look at the civic hatchback. I think the new ones are so ugly.
If I were to get another civic, it would have to be the new coupe. Beautiful body lines.

I picked the impreza because i wanted AWD again being in a location with lots of snow during the winter.

Still have my 2009 civic si for when i want to move a little faster then the impreza can go.

The civic si also has drive by wire, but the delay can be fixed with flashpro hondata.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Very happy

I've got a silver 5-door Sport and am pleased with the manual. Have put about 1200 miles on the car and am finding that both transmission operation and gas mileage are improving (about 28-30 in mixed driving and 33 on the highway). Acceleration is perfectly adequate, but I'd be bored with this engine and a CVT for sure. A sixth gear would have been nice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can someone say the acceleration times of the 5spd manual vs the CVT? All the reviewers out there talk about the CVT times.

I'm guessing the CVT might be possibly quicker from, say, 0-60mph, but was hoping someone could verify that? I've been a manual guy all my life and can't decide on which tranny to get in the new Impreza..

Also, has anyone noticed any rev hang issues? i.e. you're accelerating in a hurry and shift from 1st to 2nd, and it's a balky shift, because the engine stays at a high RPM for a second or so before dropping, even though you've let go of the throttle. I've read on the internet that this is programmed as such on purpose, to help with emissions. Has anyone got this computer function changed, maybe at the dealer?

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
Can someone say the acceleration times of the 5spd manual vs the CVT? All the reviewers out there talk about the CVT times.

I'm guessing the CVT might be possibly quicker from, say, 0-60mph, but was hoping someone could verify that? I've been a manual guy all my life and can't decide on which tranny to get in the new Impreza..

Also, has anyone noticed any rev hang issues? i.e. you're accelerating in a hurry and shift from 1st to 2nd, and it's a balky shift, because the engine stays at a high RPM for a second or so before dropping, even though you've let go of the throttle. I've read on the internet that this is programmed as such on purpose, to help with emissions. Has anyone got this computer function changed, maybe at the dealer?
From what I have read the CVT is a bit faster. BUT car magazines are against any type of auto transmissions and mention how they take the fun out of driving in just about every article you read. Thus the car reading public is being brainwashed. Is driving a stick and clutch more fun? In my opinion it is. Is an auto easier? Yup. Are many new auto tranny cars faster than a human shifting? YES

1 - 20 of 26 Posts