5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
I would of suspected that LSD diff to lock up fast and assuring, I'm quite disappointed of the all wheel drive "traction control" in this performance. I wonder taking traction control off would enable more of a Locker.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Actually some sources state it's an entire open diff and traction control should take care of the rest.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually some sources state it's an entire open diff and traction control should take care of the rest.
I'm not entirely sure, but I know for certain when I was in the Bronx in March visiting a friend, there was only one space open that no one could get into. It was snow covered, but the Impreza had no issues getting into or out of it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'm not entirely sure, but I know for certain when I was in the Bronx in March visiting a friend, there was only one space open that no one could get into. It was snow covered, but the Impreza had no issues getting into or out of it.
That's reassuring, especially with stock all season banana peel tires for winter driving. (I'm a snow tire fan) Perhaps after hearing your story I won't need snow tires. ;)

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's reassuring, especially with stock all season banana peel tires for winter driving. (I'm a snow tire fan) Perhaps after hearing your story I won't need snow tires. ;)
Bear in mind there was less than 1000 miles on the tires so they, like the engine are well broken in by now lol. I was looking at winter tires on tirerack.com a few days ago. I know it's a little early, but no harm in window shopping. They had a set of Yokohama's for under $150 a tire.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I know it's a little early, but no harm in window shopping. They had a set of Yokohama's for under $150 a tire.
The ice guards. That's a good tire.

I hear ya window shopping is fun. I have heard throwing a set of snows on the Subaru that it would plow through most of anything, "with in reason". I'm a big fan of snow tires, lots of traction when you need it. Extra assurance too. But the 18" in size just kills the price. Especially when you need all 4 ugh...Then having to change them out due to the soft compound. I didn't once on my old car, they lasted about 2 years before going balled.
A good all weather tire or a new referred term as a "Variable-Conditions Tire" is what I'm looking for in our stock 245/40/18 size, not a full winter tire. Basically they are an all-season tire that can handle snow.

I had great performance with this tire on my last car, something that handles snow and comes with a tread-life warranty. But the size of the side wall is 5mm higher than our stock size. bleh. Toyo Variable-Conditions
is the name.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I did some more searching, turns out Nokian tires makes an all weather tire in our stock size. Some reviews have Subaru's with pics, it has me thinking. My biggest problem is the need for changing them when the season ends. Not needing to worry about more expenses, tire remount and balance every 2 times a year is super nice. Unless you get another set of rims....convenient but expensive. I'll wait and see how the stock tires really perform with the all wheel drive system then I'll make a final decision.

Did Subaru define a certain tire type by US geographic location? Like do the southern states (no snow) have the Yokohama tires as their stock tire or something different.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm a big fan of snow tires, lots of traction when you need it. Extra assurance
I had Blizzak WS80's on my previous car, 4G Eclipse, no traction control but it sucked in snow with the Blizzaks. The all seasons, GoodYear Assurance, were so much better in the snow. Think I'll just stick with the stock tires for a few snowstorms & see how she handles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts