5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One big issue with Suabru vehicles is the servicing intervals which is every 6 months and around $300 each time. I'm hoping the Impreza 5 will only need to go in for service once a year because every 6 months is ridiculous.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Coming from a long history of vehicles to me even just once every 6 months is amazing. I don't know about you but along with sticking to the recommended service intervals i will be manually checking the state of fluids, etc. that get taken care of during initial services

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Cars I've driven so far only needs to be brought in once a year for maintenece and that was it. Nothing wrong with them except for the general wear and tear that any other car would get. Twice a year seems a bit much to me and it makes me wonder if they're really necessary or just a money grab.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'm with BoxerInside. Every six months is amazing. I have no idea how you find this ridiculous. I think the notion of once a year is ridiculous to be honest.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Subaru vehicles can probably get away with being serviced once a year, but the problem with doing that is the possibility of voiding your warranty.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Of course.. any vehicle can be serviced once a year. Just depends on how much you drive it, how you drive it, etc.

Definitely will void warranty if it isn't serviced on scheduled intervals though.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Going to haggle with the dealership and see if I can get the first few years of maintenece for free. The Impreza is a new vehicle but I'm willing to wait, in no hurry for a new car as my current one is running fine.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Going to haggle with the dealership and see if I can get the first few years of maintenece for free. The Impreza is a new vehicle but I'm willing to wait, in no hurry for a new car as my current one is running fine.

They should be able to budge on maintenance to some extent, just don't settle on the first year since that's the easiest but if it comes down to it then just take that. If you know someone that know a Subaru Salesperson then even better for you, sometimes you find those connections on forums.

·
Registered
32 Posts
$300?? I've owned 4 Subies never paid close to that. For the first few years mostof the routine services are oil changes, tire rotations and maybe a cabin filter. Always paid under $100. Think you're being gouged.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I negotiated the 3 year maintenance plan just like I did the extended warranty. Overall, I saved about $1,600 between the prepaid maintenance plan and the extended warranty by getting quotes from surrounding dealerships and making the finance guy meet or beat the best prices.

·
Registered
151 Posts
$300 maintenance

One big issue with Suabru vehicles is the servicing intervals which is every 6 months and around $300 each time. I'm hoping the Impreza 5 will only need to go in for service once a year because every 6 months is ridiculous.
I agree that 6 months is reasonable - all I see is oil and oil filter change. I do go a bit longer on cars that see summer use only. In the good old days Pennsylvania did a safety inspection every 6 months and they usually found "safety" problems. I used to adjust my ignition "points" every 2 months. $300 seems high - any details.

Oil and filter change, $27 to $100, 6 mo or 6k miles - crazy 0 weight oil change at the dealer had $89 on the wall; 5w30 at local tire store with free tire rotation $27. I expect this to start a discussion, but see your manual. My own opinion is that the 0w20 is for government mileage ratings and not my engine longevity; my garage does not get below freezing - see the WRS specs for some of my reasoning here. Maybe the 0 weight oil will get cheaper some day. Do get the proper API grade SN or better. I think I saw name brands at Walmart for around $40 for 5 quarts of the 0 weight oil - for some reason the service places seem to gouge on a oil upgrade here when they advertise a $19 conventional oil and filter change. Never had engine lube issues and I run the cars for 10+ years until body and frame dissolve into iron oxide. Go much longer between oil changes at your peril especially if you have that $100,000 Porsche mentioned above! Anybody have that maintenance schedule for 911? Yes, I have seen the Mobil 1 commercials. I also see commercial for gloves that have copper and magnets to cure you of arthritis. I will not go further than to mention the DrFloras Total Body Cleanse. I hear BMW is an exception to all this - just pay em - they have their own brand of oil and you picked em.
Wiper blades - $25 at auto parts store & DIY (if in western PA) 2x a year; if in Bay Area of CA (where my daughter lives) every 3 years or when Dad flies out to visit and takes her to the Walmart.
Engine Air filter $10 and DIY, mileage dependent, and dirty air dependent, schedule says 30 months/30k,
Cabin filter
- $10 and DIY, your nose dependent, mileage dependent, and dirty air dependent, schedule says 12 months/12k

·
Registered
43 Posts
Does doing your own oil changes void the warranty if you have receipts for purchase of recommended weight/blend and filters at timely intervals? I suppose this includes wiper blades, air filters, plugs, etc. I know there's no way to PROVE you actually did the work on said vehicle, but i haven't taken a car into the dealership or one of those tire/quick-change places for almost twenty years! Yes, I have had more intensive/non-routine/recall work done at the dealerships, but I actually enjoy doing the basics myself(although my experiences have always come from Toyotas and have never changed a Subaru's oil - I hear the filter is on TOP of the engine).

It just seems like this is another way for dealerships to rob you(said in my most innocent voice). At the bare-minimum let me shop around for the best deal on service - even if it's a non-Subaru shop!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Does doing your own oil changes void the warranty if you have receipts for purchase of recommended weight/blend and filters at timely intervals? I suppose this includes wiper blades, air filters, plugs, etc. I know there's no way to PROVE you actually did the work on said vehicle, but i haven't taken a car into the dealership or one of those tire/quick-change places for almost twenty years! Yes, I have had more intensive/non-routine/recall work done at the dealerships, but I actually enjoy doing the basics myself(although my experiences have always come from Toyotas and have never changed a Subaru's oil - I hear the filter is on TOP of the engine).

It just seems like this is another way for dealerships to rob you(said in my most innocent voice). At the bare-minimum let me shop around for the best deal on service - even if it's a non-Subaru shop!
The warranty can not be voided by you doing your own work or having the work done elsewhere as long as you can prove it was done at the approved interval and the proper oils and fluids were used. A good method to document the work is to take a date stamped picture of the receipt for the materials or service beside your odometer. Sure there is no way to prove you actually put those fluids in but there is no way for them to prove you didn't either.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Twice a year or 6,000 to 7,500 miles whichever comes first is pretty standard. What cars have you had that were higher?
I personally would love twice a year with the FRS since I drive between 3,500 and 4,000 miles a month. At a service interval of 6,000 miles I go through a pile of oil changes. My normal services cost about $69 and my big ones (30,000, 60,000 and 100,000) cost me $289 so not sure why your 6 month one would be $300

Porsche does once a year maintenance... this is far from that my friend lol
Yep, once a year or 10,000 miles. They also cost between $1,200 and $2,500 a pop. This is why I drive a FRS and not a Porsche!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was watching an Australian review of the 2017 impresa. (They don't get a manual, but they do get the pedestrian bag and auto stop/start.) I was surprised to hear that in the land of Oz, the maintenance interval is one year or 12500km, rather than 6 months. I guess SOA figures Americans have more money to spend ?? And down under, the services are indeed A$300 or more, for a total of A$1300 over three years.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was watching an Australian review of the 2017 impresa. (They don't get a manual, but they do get the pedestrian bag and auto stop/start.) I was surprised to hear that in the land of Oz, the maintenance interval is one year or 12500km, rather than 6 months. I guess SOA figures Americans have more money to spend ?? And down under, the services are indeed A$300 or more, for a total of A$1300 over three years.
I have a Canadian 2017 Impreza and the manual says 6 months or every 10,000KM. Guess it's different depending on the country. Odd though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
my dealer made my servicing easy. They offered what they called "buy happy" I get 9 oil changes for $20 each, plus a life time power train warranty after the subaru warranty expires. I just have to have to keep up on periodic servicing. The program was only $100.

One thing to think about though is the filters when getting work done other than at the dealership, and making sure the dealership is using factory filters. The filter is as important if not more important than the oil. Not all filters are the same. Modern engines have specific oil pressure needs and if a filter is too restrictive it can cause premature wear. Also all oil filters have bypass valves, it lets the oil pass through without being filtered. like cold start ups, or if the filter media gets plugged. This happens at a specific oil pressure. If a filter's bypass spring is too tight or worse too loose it can cause wear by not filtering the oil at all. do a search on you tube for filter comparisons, you will see how different they can be. Usually the stock factory filter is the cheapest option, that nobody prices out because of the dealership. Filters for my Tacoma and wife's Rav4 are $7 at the dealership, cheaper than the name brands at the parts store.

As a powersports service tech I never understood the mentality of cheap maintenance? Good oil filters and oil cheap, new engines very expensive.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts