5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a spare hour at work Friday & decided to put my Impreza Sport on the lift. I was curious about how the underbody looked like & snapped a few pics if anyone is interested. I found what was causing my right rear tire to lose air :frown2:

Attachments

·
Registered
857 Posts
It looks like your tire has some non-OEM hardware included.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I ran over a piece of metal brake line once (not with Impreza). It was like a drinking straw was shoved through my tire. Instant deflation.

·
Administrator
785 Posts
So it appears there is a lot of plastic along the underbody?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ran over a piece of metal brake line once (not with Impreza). It was like a drinking straw was shoved through my tire. Instant deflation.
That blows :frown2: I worry that the tires in the Sport are so low profile with stuff like this happening that they can't be fixed.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have had at least three scrapes last week. The first two were while driving on a tarred road with some bumps. The last one was the worst and it happened while entering the road from a business parking lot. There was a dip and I heard a loud screech. I am used to driving the Outback that has about 8-9" clearance. The last scrape was against an L-bracket in the bottom.

·
Registered
45 Posts
That blows
I worry that the tires in the Sport are so low profile with stuff like this happening that they can't be fixed.
Look into a company called NITROFILL in your area I go to my old Lexus dealership and they've added it to all my cars not only does it give you nitrogen for your tires but it provide a year long road hazard for up to $800 worth of tire replacement, it only cost me $70 (but that's cause I get it at cost) it's usually $125/150 totally worth it cause even if you don't go back to the same place they'll send you a check to reimburse you. Here the web address http://www.nitrofill.com

·
Registered
857 Posts
I worry that the tires in the Sport are so low profile with stuff like this happening that they can't be fixed.
The nail looks to be in the best spot to get a nail, if there is such a thing. It should definitely be repairable since it's not the sidewall. If you were personally putting a plug in it, the difficult thing would be having enough clearance between the tire and rim to get the plug insertion tool far enough in for the plug to stay in the tire. I struggled on that with a 19" tire earlier this year, not realizing what was causing the problem until after way too many profanities had been used up.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The nail looks to be in the best spot to get a nail, if there is such a thing. It should definitely be repairable since it's not the sidewall. If you were personally putting a plug in it, the difficult thing would be having enough clearance between the tire and rim to get the plug insertion tool far enough in for the plug to stay in the tire. I struggled on that with a 19" tire earlier this year, not realizing what was causing the problem until after way too many profanities had been used up.
I guess we'll see this week when I have it checked. Hopefully it can be repaired, but if not I'll be yelling profanities until the sun goes down lol :smile2:

·
Registered
80 Posts
That's a lot of plastic. It serves more to streamline the underbody and improve aerodynamics and fuel economy more so than provide protection.

That being said, I understand that Imprezas aren't meant for serious offloading and that the vast majority of owners will be fine with the stock set up.

However, I'm hoping that someone in the aftermarket steps up and offers some quality skid protection. Not only do we have a rutted, single lane road leading to our cabin but my wife also has a tendency of *not* swerving to avoid road debris. $500 in proper skid plates is less than our insurance deductible.

·
Administrator
785 Posts
Yeah I would never take this car off road. I use the Crosstrek for that one. Maybe all the plastic will help prevent undercarriage rust.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I would never take this car off road. I use the Crosstrek for that one. Maybe all the plastic will help prevent undercarriage rust.
Yeah that's possible or maybe the brake lines are above the plastic to protect them against flying debris or someone with a snips lol

·
Registered
469 Posts
I just hope it doesn't trap moisture and salt! It is hard to inspect anything with that cover in place . . .

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just hope it doesn't trap moisture and salt! It is hard to inspect anything with that cover in place . . .
It's easy to remove them just clips holding them on as far as I see. If someone was really paranoid about salt or moisture gathering, they could always R&I the covers & wash the underbody with a pressure washer or something :)

·
Registered
469 Posts
On my Forester with 8.7 inches of clearance, that would have been easy. I can barely see under this vehicle . . .

·
Registered
157 Posts
The profile of the tire has nothing to do with that puncture. Sidewall bubbling due to potholes will be more of an issue with low pro tires, but a nail or bolt can cut through a low profile, high profile, motorcycle or semi tire.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts