5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a Crosstrek. Actually, Other AstroKat ("OAK") does - it's her daily driver, and we use it for road trips and some light off-roading. Her mom is looking for a new car before the end of the year (great time to get a deal) and she wants a compact sedan. They currently have a Ford Focus and a Hyundai Elantra, and we're trying to steer her towards Subaru, with Eyesight.

In April, Consumer Reports had a report of the best cars for seniors and the Forester, Outback and Legacy were mentioned but not the Impreza: https://www.consumerreports.org/elderly-driving/top-25-new-cars-for-senior-drivers/

The Legacy is more of a midsize than the Impreza. What are your thoughts, and what would you encourage YOUR mom to buy? :)

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,187 Posts
I have owed two Fozzies and my wife owned two OBs. I could have taken her two year old OB but chose to trade it for my Imp.

I am old but not a senior, I do know several seniors who own both Fozzies and Crosstreks. I would steer a senior to an OB, Fozzie or Crosstrek over an Imp only because it is easier to get in and out of those cars. The Imp is kind of low for senior to turn and squat and get into (and out of), I have seen my father in law (senior) having trouble getting into my car but he has no problem with his Forester.

It is about ride height to me.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have owed two Fozzies and my wife owned two OBs. I could have taken her two year old OB but chose to trade it for my Imp.

I am old but not a senior, I do know several seniors who own both Fozzies and Crosstreks. I would steer a senior to an OB, Fozzie or Crosstrek over an Imp only because it is easier to get in and out of those cars. The Imp is kind of low for senior to turn and squat and get into (and out of), I have seen my father in law (senior) having trouble getting into my car but he has no problem with his Forester.

It is about ride height to me.
Yeah, I'm not that "old" yet but I do like how easy it is to get in and out of the Crosstrek compared to some of the sportscars I've owned. I'm also 6'2" and I think OAK's mom is around 5' so that could make a difference.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The legacy has a larger gas tank which will provide better range for long road trips and probably better leg room for back seat passengers. It will feel less nimble probably since it is a mid size sedan. There is also no hatch option for better utility.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The legacy has a larger gas tank which will provide better range for long road trips and probably better leg room for back seat passengers. It will feel less nimble probably since it is a mid size sedan. There is also no hatch option for better utility.
Seems like the Impreza (or a Crosstrek) would be a better option for an ageing Mr. Bond... :)

·
Registered
274 Posts

It is about ride height to me.[/QUOTE
True, but I have seen older folks even seniors in Impreza's. Small, safe, easy to park and low maintenance . I'm heading towards 61 and very active for my age and have a Impreza sport. I find the DP find and better than most sedans especially newer Honda's with the seat on the floor design. Honda lost their senior market share by going with that design IMO. In fact it has been said the Impreza(new) has a high ride height

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm 89 years old and find it's not easy to get out of the Impreza I use to be 5'11" tall but I'm
now 5' 9". I don't have a problem getting in, I put my right foot in first. I had a Jeep
Renegade before the Impreza and it was easier to get out. My rather large feet cause me a
lot of problems getting in/out of many cars.

Clifton

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! So, funnily enough, her mom drove our Crosstrek while we were over there at Christmas and she loved how high up it was for both visibility and getting in and out of (after saying she did not want a car as big as ours, LOL). She just got a '19 Crosstrek! :D

·
Registered
295 Posts
I am gonna bump this thread real quick with my opinion...

The first Subie I drove at the dealership was the Legacy. That drive sold me on the Subaru brand, but the look just really did not "fit" me. I was in the middle group, single dad that did not want to drive a "dad" sedan like the Legacy...but not young enough to need a WRX to impress my friends, and not old enough to need the WRX for a mid-life crisis car. The Gen5 Impreza was then shown to me and I thought it was the best of both worlds. I had a time deciding between the Premium and Sport trims (as I thought the Sport was a good fit for an almost mid-life crisis but not quite) but ultimately ended up with the Premium. I do not drive overly aggressive so the "sport tuned suspension" was not a benefit for me so it was really about the cosmetics. The deciding factor was the initial cost and the cost of tires in the future. At the time I was looking the Premium was on the Costo Auto program but the Sport was not, so there was a fairly substantial difference there. With the tires the difference in 16" vs 18" was about $50 (if I remember right) a tire, and as a single dad it just did not seem cost effective to me

·
Registered
531 Posts
There is a lot more room in the legacy for sure. It’s also a little more powerful.

I have had both.

The legacy isn’t quite as fun to drive though.

And it really is the “dad car”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
666 Posts
My wife, after months of considering different vehicles.... chose OUTBACK for 2 reasons. ( ride-height and AWD) Her main 'test' for every vehicle was getting IN/OUT of it. (no need to actually DRIVE it)

She finds my Impreza too low to the ground for easy entry/exit.

BTW: I find her OB to be large/lumbering/yacht-like.... not nearly as fun to drive and nimble as my Imp.

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,187 Posts
I had an older Leggy and loved it (it was a 2009). It was the Limited version with sunroof and leather. Very nice car, it wasn't that heavy and had pretty good power to weight ratio. It got a bit high in miles for me and I wanted a bit more ground clearance so I bought my first Forester. After the Forester I went back to another Legacy but by that time the Legacy had gotten a lot larger but still used the same engine. The power to weight ratio was horrible and I hated the car. After two years I traded it for my second Forester.

Going to stick with my current Subaru for a few more years but unless I go to a WRX I don't know if I will get another one. I am just sick of not having the power that I want. Subaru is just using the same engines over and over and I am sick of it. My next car will have a good power to weight ratio.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts