5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone able to compare Impreza5 with Outback in terms of ride comfort, handling. I am interested in the Impreza5 but read many articles on it being under powered. Is this a constant factor for you that drive them?

Thanks

·
Registered
778 Posts
Anyone able to compare Impreza5 with Outback in terms of ride comfort, handling. I am interested in the Impreza5 but read many articles on it being under powered. Is this a constant factor for you that drive them?

Thanks
you are trying to compare apples to bananas here. completely different vehicles in terms of EVERYTHING. the Impreza is "under powered" compared to say the WRX, but it moves pretty well in my opinion for what it is. it isn't a rocket ship, but it isn't slow as snails either. you will get many different opinions on this, but my advice, go drive BOTH of them for yourself, then decide which fits you better. don't make a multi thousand dollar mistake based on forum opinions.

·
Registered
46 Posts
We own an MY17 Impreza and MY15 Outback.

Comparing is hard because they're different cars. The Outback is higher, heavier and bigger. It still handles really well but so does the Impreza. I've never found the Impreza under powered, but i've also never loaded it up with 5 people - Thats what the Outback is for.

If you're buying new, it's probably time to wait for the MY18 - especially for the Outback which might get some of the Infotainment improvements.

·
Registered
119 Posts
We have a 2010 Outback and a 2017 Impreza. The Outback is a base model and the Impreza is the highest trim. I have had the impreza for only a day and driven it for 100 miles from the dealer to home. My initial impressions are positive. They seem to be similar in terms of comfort. Handling is also similar. The transmission in impreza is smoother because it is a newer version of the CVT. Outback feels more powerful because of its 2.5 L engine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a MY18 Impreza and MY05 Outback. The impreza feels more peppy and way more stable on the road.
You can definitely feel the body roll in the outback and the tires feel balloony.

The hatch space is waaaaaaay bigger on the outback. However the impreza has more room for passengers.

Impreza is about 2l/100km lighter on fuel

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
My wife had a 2016 Outback, loaded. I could have taken that car and not bought the Impreza but I didn't like the Outback (my wife got a free company car). Why? The Outback feels like a MUCH larger car (I know it is larger of course) it handles like a much much heavier car, it accelerates and brakes like a much heavier car. The Impreza feels lighter, handles better and is more fun to drive than the Outback. Is the engine in the Outback more powerful than the one in the Impreza? Of course it is that is obvious, but look at the power to weight ratio and I would bet the Impreza is better (don't feel like looking right now, hope I am not wrong lol).

Would the Outback have been more practical for me with its better ground clearance for the months that I get lots of snow? Yea it probably would have but I just didn't want that car. We actually took a bath on it trading it in, who cares? Life is too short.

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
2017 Outback has a power to weight ratio of about 20.5

2017 Impreza has a power to weight ratio of about 19.4

So I was wrong, the Outback has a better power to weight ratio, wait does a higher number mean that it is more weight to power? Someone help me here I forget how it goes.

But, from what I have found the Impreza is faster 0-60.

2017 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Hatchback 0-60 mph 8.8 | Quarter mile 16.7.
2018 Outback 2.5i accelerates from 0 to 60 mph in 9.4 seconds.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have a loaded 2016 Outback limited and while it does not handle like the Impreza because of 8.7 inches of GC and it's not on the SGP yet. That said, my car eats up long road trips and is way more comfy in that situation . It also on par if not better in the MPG department. No way in **** I would trade it for a Impreza maybe the new Ascent would be a wiser choice.

·
Registered
447 Posts
My wife has Outback... I have Impreza5. She chose the OB because she prefers the ride-height which makes getting in/out of the vehicle easier for her.

Personally, I prefer my Impreza because the MPG averages over 35 and it has a nice ride compared to the Baja I traded for it.

I find the Outback too large for a commuter-car and the MPG averages under 30MPG.

As for POWER, I traded in a TURBOCHARGED Baja for my Impreza5. The Impreza certainly does not have the head-snapping acceleration of the Baja... but I would not call it 'underpowered'. I have purposly used FULL THROTTLE acceleration many times and it is certainly adequate for a daily-driver.

As a comparison, I drove my buddies truck with a 318ci V8 engine and it was certainly slower to accelerate than my Impreza. I find it interesting that some reviewers find the Impreza to be 'underpowered'... For cripes sake... it is an entry level small economy car.

I have said this before in other threads -- " Anyone who does not choose the Impreza based on perceived 'underpower' is making a mistake." Noone uses full-throttle acceleration often enough during daily-driving to miss a couple horsepower.

·
Registered
521 Posts
My wife has Outback... I have Impreza5. She chose the OB because she prefers the ride-height which makes getting in/out of the vehicle easier for her.

Personally, I prefer my Impreza because the MPG averages over 35 and it has a nice ride compared to the Baja I traded for it.

I find the Outback too large for a commuter-car and the MPG averages under 30MPG.

As for POWER, I traded in a TURBOCHARGED Baja for my Impreza5. The Impreza certainly does not have the head-snapping acceleration of the Baja... but I would not call it 'underpowered'. I have purposly used FULL THROTTLE acceleration many times and it is certainly adequate for a daily-driver.

As a comparison, I drove my buddies truck with a 318ci V8 engine and it was certainly slower to accelerate than my Impreza. I find it interesting that some reviewers find the Impreza to be 'underpowered'... For cripes sake... it is an entry level small economy car.

I have said this before in other threads -- " Anyone who does not choose the Impreza based on perceived 'underpower' is making a mistake." Noone uses full-throttle acceleration often enough during daily-driving to miss a couple horsepower.
You have clearly never rode with me >:)

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
I don't believe I have ever put my "foot to the floor" in my Impreza, close but not all the way.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 2017 Subaru Impreza Sport and to me the ride comfort is kinda ruff on the roads and also car sits a lil low then most cars in its class that you really gotta be careful on some big dips ahead. The impreza feels solid and a bit heavy due to the all wheel drive system sure puts a lot of weight....if only they added more hp would be better. Also, the handling has some understeer and rev hang. Not sure if it could be the low profile 18inch wheels that makes you feel a lot of bumps in the road. The cornering is excellent with a smooth ride. Road noise is quiet with a lil boxer rumble sound. Despite it all...I try to live with it and try to love my Impreza. Still can be fun to drive. If you prefer more ground clearance for sure the Outback is the way to go.

·
Registered
16 Posts
We have an '18 Outback Touring 3.6R and the Impreza. Outback is considerably quieter in every way, particularly on the highway. The '18+ redo on the Outback significantly hushed the interior and wind noise is almost non existent under ~90mph. Road noise is also very hushed unless you're on a grooved or odd textured road. I won't even mention engine noise or acceleration because I'm guessing most folks cross-shopping the OB and Impreza are only looking at 4cyls. My daughter is driving the Impreza and she's satisfied with the power but she's a very passive driver. She originally was driving a much more powerful car but was a bit intimidated by it.

The OB also rides much softer but handling is not as nice as the Impreza. This is even worse for the '18 Outback because they re-tuned the suspension for a softer/quieter ride. The lower height, tighter steering, lighter curb weight, and stiffer suspension contribute to a much more "put together" feel. Another 30hp and nobody would say a word about it feeling under powered for the class of car it is.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I don't believe I have ever put my "foot to the floor" in my Impreza, close but not all the way.
I did a spirited stomp to almost the floor, car shifted down a couple gears and pulled a 6k shift back up 2 gears, can't say the car is a slouch. I think it has plenty of power for what it is. I also want the 30+ mpg as I drive 100 mi/day 6d/wk for work, plus extra stuff. I like it especially the EyeSite!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
We have an '18 Outback Touring 3.6R and the Impreza. Outback is considerably quieter in every way, particularly on the highway. The '18+ redo on the Outback significantly hushed the interior and wind noise is almost non existent under ~90mph. Road noise is also very hushed unless you're on a grooved or odd textured road. I won't even mention engine noise or acceleration because I'm guessing most folks cross-shopping the OB and Impreza are only looking at 4cyls. My daughter is driving the Impreza and she's satisfied with the power but she's a very passive driver. She originally was driving a much more powerful car but was a bit intimidated by it.

The OB also rides much softer but handling is not as nice as the Impreza. This is even worse for the '18 Outback because they re-tuned the suspension for a softer/quieter ride. The lower height, tighter steering, lighter curb weight, and stiffer suspension contribute to a much more "put together" feel. Another 30hp and nobody would say a word about it feeling under powered for the class of car it is.
Disagree with considerably quiet. All products that ride on the new SGP are a lot more refined . Less shake and roll. The 18 OB while nice is outdated. I have a new Ascent and new Impreza

·
Registered
84 Posts
I did a spirited stomp to almost the floor, car shifted down a couple gears and pulled a 6k shift back up 2 gears, can't say the car is a slouch. I think it has plenty of power for what it is. I also want the 30+ mpg as I drive 100 mi/day 6d/wk for work, plus extra stuff. I like it especially the EyeSite!!
As soon as I cleared the 1,000 mile break in ( 1,002 exactly ), I floored it and took it up to 100. It only started to get "floaty" at 100. You can watch Youtube vids of people taking it up to top speed which is around 120mph. The car has a blower whine sound when fully stomped.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Disagree with considerably quiet. All products that ride on the new SGP are a lot more refined . Less shake and roll. The 18 OB while nice is outdated. I have a new Ascent and new Impreza

If you don't clearly notice the noise difference between an '18+ Outback (or Ascent) and Impreza on the highway I don't know what to tell you. The Impreza is reasonably quiet for an economy car but that's about it. The OB and Ascent are both very quiet cars all around...competitive with luxury cars even.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Even with the changes for 18 the Outback is not what I would call quiet plus the ride and handling are sloppy compared to the 15-17 models. I had a 16 Outback limited and it was on par with my 17 Impreza for quietness but the Impreza has way less wind noise and the cvt and engine are quieter

1 - 20 of 21 Posts