5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Impreza 2.0 5-dr
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I just bought an 18 Impreza hatch. I didn't realize there was such a difference in the infotainment units. I have the 6.5". Is it possible or easy enough to replace it with the 8" model? I imagine one would want an experienced technician to install due to all the attachments. And where would I even start as far as getting an 8" model?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I would go aftermarket.

Idatalink finally has the RR2 unit working for 18+ Subarus. For a little more than that Ebay unit, you can get a new aftermarket unit with wireless Android Auto and/or Carplay.

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,187 Posts
I would go aftermarket.

Idatalink finally has the RR2 unit working for 18+ Subarus. For a little more than that Ebay unit, you can get a new aftermarket unit with wireless Android Auto and/or Carplay.
But will is work with all of the steering wheel controls?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have replaced my wife’s MY18 low model head end w a 19 forester 8” mid model. You need to watch out. The usb plug may not work with iPhone. I had to hunt down a new version of usb/aux to work with iPhone. Also, you will need to take the center console to get to the usb plug. Here is the video.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have replaced my wife’s MY18 low model head end w a 19 forester 8” mid model. You need to watch out. The usb plug may not work with iPhone. I had to hunt down a new version of usb/aux to work with iPhone. Also, you will need to take the center console to get to the usb plug. Here is the video.
If you use android phone, it works without replacing the usb/aux

·
Registered
156 Posts
That's what you get for buying an Apply product.

Same issue in Fords when you upgrade from Sync2 to Sync3- works fine with Android, need new USB hub for CarPlay.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Also would it be possible to replace the mast antenna with the shark fin version or am I stuck with putting an aftermarket setup on?

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
A1 - yes, you can get the 8 inch mid or high version with cd and swap out the 6.5 inch without cd. All plugs are same in the back. But you may need to replace the usb/aug plug.
A2 - hd radio will work fine with the regular antenna. Xm will not work with out special antenna. There are 2 versions. One with xm and one without. IMHO, if you don’t need the xm, don’t bother to swap out the antenna. I would be concern if I scratch the paint.

·
Registered
40 Posts
A1 - yes, you can get the 8 inch mid or high version with cd and swap out the 6.5 inch without cd. All plugs are same in the back. But you may need to replace the usb/aug plug.
A2 - hd radio will work fine with the regular antenna. Xm will not work with out special antenna. There are 2 versions. One with xm and one without. IMHO, if you don’t need the xm, don’t bother to swap out the antenna. I would be concern if I scratch the paint.
A1 - okay I'll look into that
A2 - 8m not concerned with XM I mostly listen to yahoo music and Pandora. Only reason I want to change the antenna out is because I know how weak they are. My Matrix antenna broke a few times in the snow and now the rubber coating is coming off.
I figured the shark fin style will hold up much better to the elements.
I can't find part numbers for the 5door version

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts