5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hopeful that the color temperature of the halogen light will be whiter and thus providing a little better visibility than what the stock Orsam's have been doing for me. I have had good luck with PIAA's in the past on previous cars so I'll try them here. Typically, deals on eBay can be found as they run on the pricey side for light bulbs.

First thing is noticed is that it's easier to un-clip the bulbs while they are still screwed into the housing. As the harness length is not long enough to use both hands to remove the bulb once it's free from the housing. It doesn't help that there is space limitations, you will be working with one hand in replacing the light bulbs behind the headlight housing. Install in the reverse order.

For the passenger side the intake cowl from the air box will need to be removed to gain access to the rear of the headlight. Remove cowl by pulling up on the cross screws, (gently) and removing the push locks, this will dislodge the intake cowl from the front. Pull up on the cowl as it's keyed into the air box.
This will allow access to the rear of the passenger headlight housing.

Pictures of: Intake cowl removed, Passenger tight fit, PIAA H11's vs Stock Orsam,

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Nice!! Should show us what it looks like with before/after pictures!

I think yellow is actually a better color for visibility.

I also picked a whiter color though on mine; went with 6k HIDs.

The look of whiter headlights is very nice!

·
Registered
730 Posts
I am hopeful that the color temperature of the halogen light will be whiter and thus providing a little better visibility than what the stock Orsam's have been doing for me. I have had good luck with PIAA's in the past on previous cars so I'll try them here. Typically, deals on eBay can be found as they run on the pricey side for light bulbs.

First thing is noticed is that it's easier to un-clip the bulbs while they are still screwed into the housing. As the harness length is not long enough to use both hands to remove the bulb once it's free from the housing. It doesn't help that there is space limitations, you will be working with one hand in replacing the light bulbs behind the headlight housing. Install in the reverse order.

For the passenger side the intake cowl from the air box will need to be removed to gain access to the rear of the headlight. Remove cowl by pulling up on the cross screws, (gently) and removing the push locks, this will dislodge the intake cowl from the front. Pull up on the cowl as it's keyed into the air box.
This will allow access to the rear of the passenger headlight housing.

Pictures of: Intake cowl removed, Passenger tight fit, PIAA H11's vs Stock Orsam,
You would have been better off to just buy a HID xenon conversion kit. They are $39.99 on Amazon with free shipping for the 8000K. In my opinion, some bulbs change the light output slightly but are not worth the money or they do not last that long. Installation of the HID conversion kit takes about 1-2 hours.

https://www.amazon.com/Xenon-Headlight-Conversion-Kensun-8000K/dp/B00802GIW4.

·
Registered
74 Posts
8k would be too blue for good visibility. My 6k bulbs looks blue until they warm up then its mostly white with very little blue.

5k would be the closest to white.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You would have been better off to just buy a HID xenon conversion kit. They are $39.99 on Amazon with free shipping for the 8000K. In my opinion, some bulbs change the light output slightly but are not worth the money or they do not last that long. Installation of the HID conversion kit takes about 1-2 hours.

The object is to keep the stock housing DOT compliant. Running with HID bulbs in a halogen reflector is not the correct way and causes more trouble for other drivers in light refection and glare. This is the same as operating with LED's which I think are better than HIDs. Instant on and no high voltage ballast required but they too require a focused beam prism.
Which in my other thread I was looking to just out right replace the front jeweled housings with the LED housings. But learned that the stock wiring will not allow for a direct drop in from the limited platform.

I plan to entertain with stock bulbs, PIAA, and LED when I get the chance.

·
Registered
730 Posts
The object is to keep the stock housing DOT compliant. Running with HID bulbs in a halogen reflector is not the correct way and causes more trouble for other drivers in light refection and glare. This is the same as operating with LED's which I think are better than HIDs. Instant on and no high voltage ballast required but they too require a focused beam prism.
Which in my other thread I was looking to just out right replace the front jeweled housings with the LED housings. But learned that the stock wiring will not allow for a direct drop in from the limited platform.

I plan to entertain with stock bulbs, PIAA, and LED when I get the chance.
DOT Compliant? In other words by the book not break any precious laws lmao lol ok :rolleyes:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Omg thats so funny. "I drove towards the bright blinding lights because I was blinded by the bright blinding lights!"

I do agree it could blind other drivers. There are some hid kits that have the cut off plate you can get where it stops the glare towards the top making the cut same as hids with projectors.

Maybe look into those.

Projectors doesn't always help either (Trucks with any kind of lights will blind you).

·
Registered
308 Posts
If I was a trial attorney for a head on collision case I'd certainly have my investigator check that out.
That never happens... Ever.

Nobody is going to come and investigate and say "hey... let me see what bulbs you got going on in here and let me check if they're DOT compliant"

·
Registered
215 Posts
Did you buy your PIAA bulbs from a secondary site such as eBay or amazon? I?m hesitant to buy from there to save 30-40$ and have the bulbs be cast offs or bulbs that didn?t meet PIAA requirements to be sold officially by them. Should I spend $100 to buy directly from PIAA or save the money and buy from eBay? Thanks.

·
Registered
295 Posts

I too would like to change out the lights that came with my 2017 Premium. I work at night so lighting is a big deal to me. I knew that the lights were going to lack, but i was surprised at just how much they do lack. I would like to do an HID retrofit, but I really do not want to bake my assemblies and take the chance of deforming them.

Omg thats so funny. "I drove towards the bright blinding lights because I was blinded by the bright blinding lights!"

I do agree it could blind other drivers. There are some hid kits that have the cut off plate you can get where it stops the glare towards the top making the cut same as hids with projectors.

Maybe look into those.

Projectors doesn't always help either (Trucks with any kind of lights will blind you).
There is other options then driving towards the lights. "I was blinded by the light and could not see the center line that is why we crashed head-on", "I was blinded by the light and could not see the fog line and that is why the car went off the right side of the road and rolled my car".

Some people drive with others in mind and do not want to blind them. Although I do not see a lot of traffic on my back road drive to work, those that I do see I would like to stay on their side of the yellow line.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did you buy your PIAA bulbs from a secondary site such as eBay or amazon? I?m hesitant to buy from there to save 30-40$ and have the bulbs be cast offs or bulbs that didn?t meet PIAA requirements to be sold officially by them. Should I spend $100 to buy directly from PIAA or save the money and buy from eBay? Thanks.
Yes, I try my best to find the best deal. Ebay is a good source for deals. I bought my last pair there and paid some where around 58 bucks or so. I think they are around 65 now.

Any output pictures? Hate the yellow lights. Might go LED
I would go with a reputable led, some have of us here had good luck in the reflector housings. The PIAA bulbs do make a difference compared to stock, but don't expect significant results.

PIAA Extreme white H11 halogen bulbs:

Parked in Drive way:

Street View:

Color difference between a HPS (High Pressure Sodium Street light 2200K) To head lights:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts