5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2019 Impreza Limited came with the basic audio from the factory. I want to install the Premium Audio option (Harman/Kardon power amplifier and speakers). I've checked and realized the rear-right harness is missing the power amplifier connection under the passenger seat. However, I had to replace the left and right harnesses anyway to add the blind-spot detection (I detailed it on another thread) and the rear-right harness happened to come with the connector/whip I needed to hook-up the power amplifier. I'm now shopping for the 2017+ Harman/Kardon power amplifier and the 4 H/K speakers (2x front, 2x rear) [Anyone selling them???]. However, before I spend the cash, I need to know: Just plugging in the power amp module and replacing the speakers with the H/Ks, will the ECM talk to the power amplifier, or will it require re-programming to recognize the new module. Anyone been there, done that?

Thanks in advance for your reply! It's appreciated.
Charlie

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think you could do better in the aftermarket for less money. My 2020 Sport Tech came with the Harmon Kardon system and I am underwhelmed. It is okay for our use, but it doesn't sound anywhere near what I would have expected and not as loud as it is rated. I would not have paid extra for it if it wasn't included in our trim level.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think you could do better in the aftermarket for less money. My 2020 Sport Tech came with the Harmon Kardon system and I am underwhelmed. It is okay for our use, but it doesn't sound anywhere near what I would have expected and not as loud as it is rated. I would not have paid extra for it if it wasn't included in our trim level.
Same. I’m completely underwhelmed and one thing that bugs me a lot is that the tweeter is in the front dash and not ear level on the side pillar/column. It sounds like you have two speakers in front of you rather than a full enveloping sound I experienced with my GTI/Lexus/Mazda.

I want to get the sound gutted and replaced but I have a feeling that would be hella expensive.

·
Registered
110 Posts
So it would sound better if it had a better amp/equalizer?
I'm not an audiophile but at least I could tune it to my sound preference if it had a decent equalizer selection. At the claimed power level it should have an amplifier built in, but I don't find it as loud as they advertise. My OEM Honda Civic sound system was rated 100W less than this one, but it sounded so much louder, and no fancy name on it either. Maybe a subwoofer would help ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts