5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone.

Just came back from the dealership. Haven't purchased it yet... I am a current Outback owner.

I am interested in using the Impreza as a TOAD vehicle (flat tow behind a motorhome). Does anyone have any experience or knowledge that they can share with me? Can you point me in the right direction within the forum?

So far priced out a 2020 Impreza Hatch Sport Manual. Trying to get it for 21,5k plus tax and doc!!!!!

Also, 2 are available... one with auto dimming exterior side mirrors and one with sports grille. What is the sports grille? From my quick search, it looks like it has chrome within the grille. That would not be something I would be interested in. I should go with the one with the auto dimming side mirrors right? :D

One last thing... can someone please send me a photo of their 2020 manual on flat towing?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi! No idea about using the car as a flat tow, but for your other question:

This is what the sport grille looks like on the 2020:

This is what the normal grille on the Sport looks like for reference:

No chrome in either one :). The other trim levels have chrome in the grille standard. The mirrors would probably be more difficult to install later if you want them (and probably more expensive), so I would take the mirrors if you want them (just my two cents though).

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
571 Posts
Funny, today I saw a motor home flat towing a Forester. I was thinking I don't recall that I've seen a Subaru behind an RV. Looking in the owners manual I'm guessing you will not want a car with the push button start due to needing the key in the on position to make it so the steering does not lock? I'm honestly not sure how that works having never done it myself.

FWIW I retrofitted the auto dimming outside mirrors and like them a lot. They also have LED lights that shine on the ground when you open the doors or unlock the car.

screen cap from the owners manual.

Reactions: dooododoo

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi! No idea about using the car as a flat tow, but for your other question:

This is what the sport grille looks like on the 2020:
View attachment 23573

This is what the normal grille on the Sport looks like for reference:
View attachment 23574

No chrome in either one :). The other trim levels have chrome in the grille standard. The mirrors would probably be more difficult to install later if you want them (and probably more expensive), so I would take the mirrors if you want them (just my two cents though).

Thanks, that info helps out a lot.

I saw on another post you wrote... that the 2020 front end is different from the 2017-2019. Is it different cosmetically only?

I ask because in order to tow, I need to get a towing baseplate that attaches to the front frame behind the front bumper. I'm wondering if the bolt holes, structure, look, etc is the same as '17-'19 as far as the frame goes.

This is the installation manual for '17-'19 Imprezas for the towing baseplate. Just wondering if it applies to 2020. The manufacturer said they wouldn't confirm without getting the vehicle physically in their warehouse.

By the way, I got official word from Subaru Corporate that the Impreza hatch sport manual is flat towable.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The bumper on the 2020 was redesigned. It is slightly different than the 2017 - 2019. I am not 100% sure, but I believe it is just the bumper cover that is substantially different. Looking at e-trailer, it looks like there are options available for the 2020.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts