5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

Would you be interested in any of these items for your car?

• Center console drop-in tray with cutout (for 12v access)

Votes: 28 56.0%
  • Center console drop-in tray without cutout

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • Phones (2) and pens holder (3), fits cup in holder

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Coffee / fountain cup holder, fits cup in holder

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • I might have a special request

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • Non of these, but maybe interested in some future design

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I don't want any of this stuff

Votes: 3 6.0%
41 - 60 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
@17 cdn sport...please ask him one more time as the third time is typically the charm:wink2:
Would you have any blue plastic to make the center console piece?
Now I'm the charmed one :p:p:p

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I don't have any ABS in blue. I only have white, black, gold, silver, and gray. So you would want the piece with the shift pattern in blue? These are the ABS colors available to me right now (haven't been experimenting with other brands yet):

Dynamism - ABS

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
SlushBox told me he will be going on vacation for a while, he isn't a company so don't expect immediate responses, be patient.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #48

Back home and parts are ready to sell again. Please send a PM for all (or most) of the discussions on what you might want to buy and where to send it to.

**Part prices (without shipping) are:

$35 per center console drop-in tray, either with or without the cutout
(the cutout is for 12v accessory plug access)

$25 per phone or cup holder

**Shipping charges: (Continental US)
The box that the tray ships in will mail for $10. It can hold up to 2 trays and 2 phone/cup holders for that shipping price.

The box that the phone/cup holder ships in will mail for $5. It can hold up to 2 for that shipping price.

I will ship outside of the US, but will need to get you a shipping quote first.

Current inventory as of 6/17/18:

(3) white trays with cutout
(1) white tray without cutout
(1) black tray without cutout
(1) coffee holder, sized for a venti cup
(1) single slot phone holder, sized for iphone 6s Plus
(1) double slot phone holder, both slots sized for the Pixel XL and iphone 5S
(1) double slot phone holder, both slots sized for the HTC One M9 in a case

Current material colors I have available are white, black, gray, silver, gold. I may get some blue soon. I print in ABS so it stands up better to internal car temperatures. PLA tends to deform inside hot cars so I avoid using it for anything I sell you. Keep in mind that all 3D printed items are basically one-off items, so they may have some flaws. These are really nice parts (in my opinion), but they will not be perfect like injection molding, and are slower and more expensive to make than molded parts. But they do have a bit of a cool geek/nerd factor associated with them. These are all my own designs and I will be adding some new options in the future. Special requests are always welcome.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I'm up for that. PM sent.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I recently got a deal on a supply of white filament, so I can reduce my price on the white trays. White trays will be $25 plus shipping until I use up the new supply and have to reorder regular priced filament. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten a similar deal on any other color. I could make the phone holders in white as well if interested with a similar price reduction.

·
Registered
39 Posts
How thick are the bottoms of your trays?
So this is my idea, I'd like to put a DIY 3 coil Q charger underneath this tray so that I could drop in my phone and charge.

I already have the charger and could simulate it working if I know the thickness.

I could just tape this underneath the tray, but would it be possible to have one made with a 3/32 air slot or so and a secondary tray underneath so that I could just slide in a charger.

I've yet to test the charger with our infotainment system. But if something like that would work, it would sell like hotcakes to **** near every impreza owner. because screw this plugging in nonsense when your phone clearly starts android auto through bluetooth when you start up.

I'll test the q charging ability tomorrow and let you know. I think regardless of infotainment support it would be great...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
The trays are designed to be 2.3mm (~.090"). The finished product comes out pretty close to that. I can make then thicker or thinner though if desired.

I can do whatever to the bottom. Holes, under tray, holey under tray, whatever. I just need some details: dimensions, part/model, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any chance you'd be willing to sell just the .stl files used for printing? :) and if so, how much?

While I would like a drop in tray for my center console, I am not willing to spend $35 plus $10 shipping for what is essentially around $1 to $2 in printed plastic that I could print on my own. I am not trying to argue against the value of what you have designed, and I get that you are probably using this to help subsidize the cost of the printer, only that I personally am not willing to pay that much.

If not, that's totally cool and I understand, I'm just looking to save myself the time and trouble of having to design one on my own.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
Any chance you'd be willing to sell just the .stl files used for printing? :) and if so, how much?

While I would like a drop in tray for my center console, I am not willing to spend $35 plus $10 shipping for what is essentially around $1 to $2 in printed plastic that I could print on my own. I am not trying to argue against the value of what you have designed, and I get that you are probably using this to help subsidize the cost of the printer, only that I personally am not willing to pay that much.

If not, that's totally cool and I understand, I'm just looking to save myself the time and trouble of having to design one on my own.
I'm not looking to walk into an argument. But firstly, no I'm not selling my .stl files.

Secondly, you are undervaluing the amount of filament needed. My 13 hour prints use up a good chunk of a $50 spool of Ultimaker ABS. If it was costing $1 to $2 in printed plastic, I would be selling the trays *a lot* cheaper. These sales do very little to subsidize the cost of my printer, and that's not why I sell them and not why I got the printer. I offer parts to others that I made because I wanted them too for my car. I've tried cheaper materials from other brands in my printer and in some other printers I've had access to. Cheap filament is ok for smaller parts, but for the amount of print time needed to make these trays I end up with warped junk before the print completes. Very frustrating and frankly the price would be very similar with the cheap filaments because of the extremely high scrap rate. I've been getting a 1:1 ratio with the good stuff I use with parts coming out 99% true to design.

Thirdly, for white trays I've dropped the price because I came across a deal that cost me less than $50/spool on the filament. If my prices aren't for you, that's ok. But undervaluing what I'm making isn't cool with me. This isn't injection molding. Good printing materials with good yield are not cheap. You get what you pay for, at least in my experience. An oil painting artist can't compete with the cost of printing replica posters, but that doesn't make his oil paintings any less time consuming or costly to make.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm not looking to walk into an argument. But firstly, no I'm not selling my .stl files.

Secondly, you are undervaluing the amount of filament needed. My 13 hour prints use up a good chunk of a $50 spool of Ultimaker ABS. If it was costing $1 to $2 in printed plastic, I would be selling the trays *a lot* cheaper. These sales do very little to subsidize the cost of my printer, and that's not why I sell them and not why I got the printer. I offer parts to others that I made because I wanted them too for my car. I've tried cheaper materials from other brands in my printer and in some other printers I've had access to. Cheap filament is ok for smaller parts, but for the amount of print time needed to make these trays I end up with warped junk before the print completes. Very frustrating and frankly the price would be very similar with the cheap filaments because of the extremely high scrap rate. I've been getting a 1:1 ratio with the good stuff I use with parts coming out 99% true to design.

Thirdly, for white trays I've dropped the price because I came across a deal that cost me less than $50/spool on the filament. If my prices aren't for you, that's ok. But undervaluing what I'm making isn't cool with me. This isn't injection molding. Good printing materials with good yield are not cheap. You get what you pay for, at least in my experience. An oil painting artist can't compete with the cost of printing replica posters, but that doesn't make his oil paintings any less time consuming or costly to make.
Look, I wasn't trying to start an argument, really. For me, a quality roll of ABS costs $20 MAX and I have no issues printing parts of that size and larger every time. And like I stated, I wasn't looking to undervalue what you are doing, the only value I put to anything was the actual plastic that I estimated to be about 100g or so...

I was looking to spend maybe $15 on an .stl file (for personal use only and only for the console tray, not looking to start selling these things) where you wouldn't have to do anything further... no printing, no shipping, just a quick email. I understand the filament is the cheapest component of this and most of the cost goes to your time and shipping. I was just hoping for more of a DIY solution as I already have the filament and printer. I know of at least 1 tray on Thingiverse that I could get for free, but don't care for the style.

And like I also stated previously, if you don't want to sell your .stl files that's totally cool and I understand, I just thought I'd see if that was an option before taking the time to design one on my own.

Wow, what a lazy useless ****.
Really? Name calling? Why? /sigh

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Doing some prototyping on a sunglasses holder to fit above the rear view mirror. I think I've got the primary shape and hinge worked out. Will add some additional space for oversized sunglasses. I'm not sure yet what to line the bottom with. Preferably some sort of thin non-slip silicone pad. Any thoughts on material? I'm thinking it will hang pretty well with RC car servo tape, but still thinking that through.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I finally got back to finishing this project up.

So far, it hangs pretty well without any tape.

41 - 60 of 101 Posts