5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

Would you be interested in any of these items for your car?

• Center console drop-in tray with cutout (for 12v access)

Votes: 28 56.0%
  • Center console drop-in tray without cutout

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • Phones (2) and pens holder (3), fits cup in holder

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Coffee / fountain cup holder, fits cup in holder

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • I might have a special request

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • Non of these, but maybe interested in some future design

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I don't want any of this stuff

Votes: 3 6.0%
81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
No go for eyesight. I am thinking about glue eyeglass holder to the dashboard.
If under the center console armrest was an ok location, I could have a holder tray in there. I could:

1. Modify my existing tray design to have a sunken pocket area for sunglasses
2. Make a 40% width tray that's specifically made for a pair of sunglasses
3. Have a full size tray that's specifically made for 2 pair of sunglasses
4. Have a stand up pocket in the back or back corner of the console that's made for 1 or 2 pair of sunglasses

For any of these, I would line the tray.

Or the existing tray design would be fine to put a pair in. They just might slide around a bit.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
There's also the option of making a sunglass holder that fits one of the cup holders. I think I could make it fit both a cell phone and a pair of sunglasses.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey Folks! Actually went and commissioned @NoSlushbox4Me to create me a sunglass holder. Photos attached. One of the best things I've ever done for my car - no longer will I have to hunt for my sunglasses on the floor after a hard turn. Very nicely made case. I have a nonEyesight Premium with the HomeLink mirror, and installing the case was a snap. Used a plastic panel puller to pry one front corner down about 1/8" and was able to slide the mounting lip (yes, he added a mounting lip (see the last picture)!) over the front edge of the bezel, holding the front edge of the eyeglass case down a smidge to slide over the mirror power cable - and it's done! Actually took me a lot longer to find the panel pry tool in my tool chest than it did to actually mount the case. Very nice case, lined, with a magnetic latch to keep the case shut. And he provided very detailed installation instructions, I just figured I'd use the plastic panel tool since I had it. Well done, @NoSlushbox4Me, well done. 5 stars!

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Forgot to add - besides the mounting lip, the full-length hinge, and the magnetic latch, NoSlushbox4Me also added several felt bumpers on the top that rubs against the window to keep from abrading the circuitry up there. Plus, the photos don't show the color off correctly, it's silver and is closer in color to the side view than any of the other photos. Since the boss's Subaru gets the spot inside the garage, mine does tend to get a bit more sun and figured a lighter color would absorb less heat.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I'm glad you like it. I think the non-eyesight cars have just the right available space for a holder and the car interior comes with enough different colors in it from Subaru that I think the silver blends in nicely. I thought about a snap latch, but decided magnets are simpler and hold all the parts tightly when closed to prevent it from rattling. So far mine hasn't added any noises to my interior, so I think I did ok with that. The pads against the windshield help with that too.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Some sunglass holder options for inside the center console. I made option 1A for my son's sunglasses. The pictures are before adding lining. He was a bit jealous of my overhead but seems to be satisfied that he has a spot now too.

Options 1A and 2A would be $25 shipped in US. Options 1B, 1C, 2B, and 2C would be $35 shipped in US. Shipping costs for outside of US might be higher. Send me a PM if interested.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Just wanted to say these are awesome and I'll be ordering a center console glasses holder for sure, but I might order a windshield holder. I'm tired of keeping my sunglasses in the glove box.

For the windshield sunglass holder, how is it mounted? Is it adhesive? I miss having one of those from when I drove a Mazda 3.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Since I don't have a post count of 15 yet I can't send private messages. -_- I'd like to order option 1A in black. Let me know where to paypal you and I'll send the money your way. I'm in the US.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
For the windshield sunglass holder, how is it mounted? Is it adhesive? I miss having one of those from when I drove a Mazda 3.
No adhesive needed, it hangs in place tightly enough without. These are my installation instructions:

To install, you pull up on the front edge of the overhead console slightly (from either driver side or passenger side) to allow the edge of the sunglass holder L-flange to be slipped into that gap, then slide it toward the center. If you have the homelink dimming mirror, first slide down the top portion of the plastic wire harness cover. When the sunglass holder windshield pad gets to the wires, slightly pull the sunglass holder away from the windshield so it can skip past the wires. Then slide the plastic wire harness cover back up once the sunglass holder is in place.

These instructions make a little more sense when you have the holder in hand to examine.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
I'm glad it's working out for you. It looks like your console gets a lot of storage use.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I've been tinkering around with my setup and new ABS materials and made some advances with ability to make high quality parts using new lower cost materials. I can now lower my prices as a result. New prices are:

Regular trays (with or without the cutout) for $20 shipped
Sunglasses trays 1B, 1C, 2B, and 2C for $20 shipped
Sunglasses trays 1A and 2A for $15 shipped
Phone holders and drink holders for $15 shipped.

I can do these parts in black and white for these prices. This is including shipping to US and Canada locations. I haven't tried making the overhead hinged sunglasses holder with the new material yet, so I'll have to try that before dropping those prices. The geometry of the part sometimes makes things print differently depending on which material is used. Custom part inquiries are also always welcome.

·
Registered
2019 Sport 5MT
53 Posts
Just received my Windshield Sunglasses Holder and Sunglasses Tray 1B from NoSlushbox4Me. The new ABS stuff feels sturdy as all get out, and they fit perfectly in my 2019 Sport. I used some pry bars that came with my bicycle tube repair kit which enabled me to install the holder. As for the Suvglasses tray, it dips in front (behind of?) the usb outlets in the console, and my USB drive didn't fit. So, I ordered a smaller one from Amazon for $6.50 and problem solved! Great products, if you have a 2017+ impreza, you should consider purchasing one of his products (especially the windshield sunglasses holder, unless you have eyesight).
20190907_151933.jpg Screenshot_20190907-152329_Amazon Shopping.jpg

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
I'm glad they are working out for you. I didn't even think about a USB drive being plugged in there. I assumed that a USB cable would be plugged in. Sorry you had to get a new drive.

·
Registered
86 Posts
NoSlushbox4Me built a custom cupholder device for me. I hate driving with my wallet in my back pocket. 'Tis uncomfortable and bad for my arthritis. I wanted a few pen holders, a holder for my iPhone 8, and room for my wallet - with a cover, so the wallet cannot be seen. Clever person, this NoSlushbox4Me... Through multiple contacts, he designed an excellent product, and then created it in reality. I was expecting the 'unfinished quality' that is standard from a 3D printer, and was pleasantly surprised that the product is more 'finished' than is the norm. He made suggestions that created a more useful product than I had foreseen, and was first rate in his constant effort to make things right for me. If there is a 6 star rating, he would have it. Well done, Sir.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
I'm glad it's meeting your expectations. It's always fun to see how special request projects turn out.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I haven't tried making the overhead hinged sunglasses holder with the new material yet, so I'll have to try that before dropping those prices.
I see this post was from a few months back, have you tried the it out with the new material yet and priced it? Sorry if I missed somewhere where you answered that already. And how has yours held up long term after the few months use? Pretty cool stuff you are coming up with.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
I forgot to try the new material for this sunglasses holder. The price would end up the same regardless of how well the new material works because I add the felt lining and magnetic latch, and there's a bit of work to get it all assembled.

The only issue I've seen so far from long term use is the fit in the car interior loosening a bit. In mine, last August I added a strip of double sided RC car "servo tape" to hold the mount flange against the top front side of the console. That has been staying tight since then.

81 - 100 of 101 Posts