5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

To get to the point, I've been contemplating cancelling my music subscription, and just using the purchased music I have on my iPod/phone. And while CarPlay has had no issues, though I do plan on switching to an Android device in a few months, I could not get my iPod to function with the headunit. For reference, I have an older iPod either 5th or 6th gen, that uses the 30pin connector. The headunit detects the iPod, and switches input to 'iPod'. However, in attempting to read the device, it fails and ultimately does not do anything further. Any ideas?

·
Registered
159 Posts
One solution is to trsnsfer your older iPod files to a thumb or flash drive of suitable size. You can then store the drive in your arm rest, with a short USB to USB cable connecting your Impreza to the drive. I have not been able to find a way to play music from separate files on the drive, as my older 2012 Legacy will do. It seems the HK units do not allow that operation mode without some programming which I do not understand. With your thumb or flash drive connected to your IMP, you will be in permanent shuffle play mode, and can choose the next selection from your steering wheel or the screen. I drive a 2019 Premium, and all works well.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I haven't tried the older ipods with my Subarus. I can tell you that my ipod nano works along with my S21 at the same time. Have you looked at the manual to see if it is compatible?

·
Registered
8 Posts
The 30pin Ipods don't use iOS which is required for Apple's carplay. If you are using that 3rd party firmware on your iPod you should be able to use it like a usb drive which the car will recognize(this requires a bit of know how). Those generations of iPods have loads of proprietary DRM in their firmware and such which prevent them from easily being used in a modern fashion.

·
Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
454 Posts
Those generations of iPods have loads of proprietary DRM in their firmware and such which prevent them from easily being used in a modern fashion.
you may be interested to know, as curiousity, that those ipods can be flashed to run rockbox which is an open source os with support for additional modern formats.

As for OP, you want to use the AUX cable with your mp3 player.

·
Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't tried the older ipods with my Subarus. I can tell you that my ipod nano works along with my S21 at the same time. Have you looked at the manual to see if it is compatible?
I checked the 2022 owner's manual online and couldn't find any details regarding compatibility for my vehicle, but Subaru's manual for the '17 actually contains the information necessary:
Font Number Parallel Rectangle Screenshot

So, while it is unfortunate that it doesn't work - I'm now going to look at any further modifications I can make to the iPod - especially considering that I'd like to replace the hard drive inside it with some sort of flash storage. Part of the primary reason for using the 30 pin iPod over an iPhone or Android device was that it held over double the storage capacity of any of my phones, and ease of playlist creation with it was nice.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I checked the 2022 owner's manual online and couldn't find any details regarding compatibility for my vehicle, but Subaru's manual for the '17 actually contains the information necessary:
View attachment 26681
So, while it is unfortunate that it doesn't work - I'm now going to look at any further modifications I can make to the iPod - especially considering that I'd like to replace the hard drive inside it with some sort of flash storage. Part of the primary reason for using the 30 pin iPod over an iPhone or Android device was that it held over double the storage capacity of any of my phones, and ease of playlist creation with it was nice.
I have an old 30 pin Nano around somewhere but I am not sure I ever checked to see if it worked. My guess is it probably didn't. It did work in my wife's 2014 CR-V. Yeah magnetic storage was and is still much cheaper. I ended up getting my wife and I new 256GB ipod touch. I think the 7th gen but I can't remember.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts