5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are preparing to trade our 2018 Impreza Premium 5-door for a 2020 Impreza Limited 5-door. My wife likes the Dark Blue Pearl exterior, but I am concerned about reports on this forum about poor durability. Our 2018 is Island Blue Pearl, and I have not noticed any more problems with that paint than on any other car I've owned.

Any strong opinions about 2020 paint durability?

Peace... Mack

·
Registered
2020 Manual 4-door Base
73 Posts
I have a brand new 2020 dark blue pearl that I baby and still find new scratches all the time. I dont think the color itself is less durable , just that scratches are more visible on a darker paint.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Fwiw, I have the 2019 Ice Silver Metallic, and although it's fine on the metal panels, the paint on my front bumper already has a number of pock marks from rock chips from normal highway driving.

·
Registered
124 Posts
After 30k miles my magnetite grey is pock marked all over the bumper and there are weird lil scratches everywhere. Still shines up nice! Silver is probably the best at hiding scratches. Chips in the bumper not so much.

·
Registered
17 Posts
from my experience white is the best and black is the worst, also for some reason i see red paints fade away and lose it is shine fast
My current Impreza 17 is white, my previous car was Honda Accord 05 black

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate all the opinions. My conclusions are that dark colors show scratches and imperfections more than lighter colors, and that generally auto paints are formulated to go on easy and dry fast at the factory at the cost of long term durability.

·
Registered
2018 Hatch 5MT
116 Posts
I have the Crimson Red Pearl paint and I'd say it's ok. Looks great when ultra clean, incredibly faded and dull when dirty and at about 54k miles has micro scratches in weird areas. Meets my expectations as it's the base trim of Subarus cheapest model.

·
Administrator
2017 Imp 5 door. Auto, Red.
1,991 Posts
It seemed to me that my silver Legacy had better paint than the cars that had red and black paint.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Silver seems to be one of those colors that looks pretty good even when slightly dirty. Can't get my lovely wife to consider anything other than blue, and she thinks the Ocean Blue Pearl is too WRX'y.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
494 Posts
Silver seems to be one of those colors that looks pretty good even when slightly dirty.
Agree, silver is my favorite color for a car, I think it's not only classy but even dirty it's hard to tell at a few paces away.

I thought as far as one of the worst colors as far as fading over time in the sun was red. This is all things being equal and the finish not being cared for properly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We are preparing to trade our 2018 Impreza Premium 5-door for a 2020 Impreza Limited 5-door. My wife likes the Dark Blue Pearl exterior, but I am concerned about reports on this forum about poor durability. Our 2018 is Island Blue Pearl, and I have not noticed any more problems with that paint than on any other car I've owned.

Any strong opinions about 2020 paint durability?

Peace... Mack
I have a 2017 Impreza sport in lapis blue and take extremely good care of the paint and has ceramic coating on it. All Subaru paint is extremely thin. I have tons of rock chips. If I get another Subaru I'm going to clear bra the front end.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
494 Posts
I have a 2017 Impreza sport in lapis blue and take extremely good care of the paint and has ceramic coating on it. All Subaru paint is extremely thin. I have tons of rock chips. If I get another Subaru I'm going to clear bra the front end.
I've had three of my Subaru's fitted with a Clear Bra, honestly it's the way to go. First one I tried to do myself and it's really something best left to the professionals. They aren't cheap but the one on my 2010 Legacy was holding up great after 10 years. I had the same guy put one on my Impreza, so far so good.

·
Administrator
764 Posts
Not really on topic but I really wish they offered the Impreza in either Khaki or Cool Gray Khaki, both offered in the Crosstreks. I can tell you the Cool Gray Khaki NEVER looks dirty. It's actually not even fun washing it because it looks like I'm not doing anything. My red Impreza cleans up nice, but during the winter it looks white with all the road salt.

Silver is the way to go. That was my second choice and I sometimes regret not opting for it. My brother has a silver WRX and it always looks clean.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts