5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've exhaustively (no pun intended) researched mods, so far I've found a custom hood with scoop, and I've been trawling for turbos, headers, and blowoffs. There's room under the hood for a turbo. Before you go and say "Should've just bought a WRX". Humor me. I got my Impreza Sport 2.0i sedan as a gift, and I love it. But i want performance, and I know how to mod cars. I've worked on a friend's Honda helping fit a turbo. I'm not even close to an expert or a mechanic, but god, I really just want around 200 horsepower.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I understand where you are coming from. I bought the Impreza over a WRX for a whole laundry list of reasons, but I do admit that I would enjoy this car 100x more if it had another 50-60 horsepower.

This platform and engine are too new right now. The aftermarket just hasn't had enough time to put out stuff yet. We might see a supercharger or turbo kit, but to be honest, I would be surprised. There just might not be a strong enough demand for it. Headers, intake and the like really aren't going to give you the power boost you want. I've heard good things about the tunes people are getting done by Rallisport for better driveability.

Since the 2020 WRX will be based off of this platform, I'm sure after the new WRX comes out, there will be more support. Your best bet would be to swap in a WRX drivetrain. By that time the car will be older and the factory warranty will be expired.

·
Registered
531 Posts
You can turbo anything.

There is a guy on the crosstrek forum who was making a set up on the new gen car. Which would also fit the Impreza.

Although I’d sell or trade the gifted car for a wrx before dumping 3-5k into a turbo setup you can buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand where you are coming from. I bought the Impreza over a WRX for a whole laundry list of reasons, but I do admit that I would enjoy this car 100x more if it had another 50-60 horsepower.

This platform and engine are too new right now. The aftermarket just hasn't had enough time to put out stuff yet. We might see a supercharger or turbo kit, but to be honest, I would be surprised. There just might not be a strong enough demand for it. Headers, intake and the like really aren't going to give you the power boost you want. I've heard good things about the tunes people are getting done by Rallisport for better driveability.

Since the 2020 WRX will be based off of this platform, I'm sure after the new WRX comes out, there will be more support. Your best bet would be to swap in a WRX drivetrain. By that time the car will be older and the factory warranty will be expired.
If that's true I cannot wait for the WRX redesign because I'd definitely begin doing some part swaps

·
Registered
356 Posts
Adding a turbo to a modern engine is NOT a trivial thing. Along with all the plumbing and cooling issues, then there is the engine management issues, as well as the legality of changing ECU's and passing emissions tests. It's one thing doing it with a 'project car' that will sit in the garage for weeks, and another thing for a car you need to use every day. Best to learn these sorts of advanced modification techniques on a car that is several years old already, where a tuner community already exists.

·
Registered
163 Posts

This isn't a new engine platform. The FB20 block has been around for quite some time. 2010 if I'm not mistaken. They've made minor changes here and there, but it's all still the same overall block.

And this block doesn't like forced induction. Especially with what internals they decided to build the lower end with.

But, humourly, you can turbo our cars. Like maybe a couple PSI MAX. Cool factor is nice, but practicality for such a new vehicle, not so nice.

You'd be better off fine tuning our map to remove rev hang and throttle delay. Probably feel more power by that than with a turbo. But that's just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
This isn't a new engine platform. The FB20 block has been around for quite some time. 2010 if I'm not mistaken. They've made minor changes here and there, but it's all still the same overall block.

And this block doesn't like forced induction. Especially with what internals they decided to build the lower end with.

But, humourly, you can turbo our cars. Like maybe a couple PSI MAX. Cool factor is nice, but practicality for such a new vehicle, not so nice.

You'd be better off fine tuning our map to remove rev hang and throttle delay. Probably feel more power by that than with a turbo. But that's just my opinion.

Well yes and no. The FB20B was used in 2012-2016 Impreza and had 10.5:1 CR and used FI. The FB20D is used in the 17+ with 12.5:1CR and uses DI

If the old engine didn't like FI, then this current version would be even more finicky given the higher CR.

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
Some great info in this thread by some knowledgeable people. Bottom line; can you put a turbo in our cars? SURE! But, expect to blow up your engine for sure unless you re-build it with better internals that right now don't even exist.

A buddy of mine was the first person to turbo the third generation Eclipse, he blew up the engine. Live and learn from the mistakes of others.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well yes and no. The FB20B was used in 2012-2016 Impreza and had 10.5:1 CR and used FI. The FB20D is used in the 17+ with 12.5:1CR and uses DI

If the old engine didn't like FI, then this current version would be even more finicky given the higher CR.
Apologies, you are right. Which just helps in my opinion about our engines. No good. Lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
check out the turbo kits for the XV of the same year model as yours. there are plenty out there. given the car is almost exactly the same just with a 3" lift, they'll most likely fit.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Wait for scrap car with the 2.4 turbo that is on the new sgp platform. That sounds more like a easier solution to me.( Ijust my guess without taking any serious research)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wait for scrap car with the 2.4 turbo that is on the new sgp platform. That sounds more like a easier solution to me.( Ijust my guess without taking any serious research)
Exactly my thoughts. Hopefully someone does this and documents it.

Sent from my F8332 using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts