5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I just purchased a 2019 premium hatch with 29k. When I'm driving and the cvt car reaches 25mph, I notice a shuddering like something is slipping. It shakes the car slightly. After 30mph it goes away. Is this normal for the cvt? Seems like the car loves to do anything over 35 smoothly but going slower makes it jerky. Any ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Impreza 5-Door Sport 5MT
140 Posts
Your CVT should never shutter, and this may be signs of slippage. I also suggest taking it into the dealer for inspection.

·
Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
402 Posts
Does it sound anything like this?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey all. I just purchased a 2019 premium hatch with 29k. When I'm driving and the cvt car reaches 25mph, I notice a shuddering like something is slipping. It shakes the car slightly. After 30mph it goes away. Is this normal for the cvt? Seems like the car loves to do anything over 35 smoothly but going slower makes it jerky. Any ideas or suggestions?
The dealer can conduct tests to see if the CVT chain is slipping. Here's the TSB about it:
MC-10199954-0001.pdf (nhtsa.gov)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The dealer can conduct tests to see if the CVT chain is slipping. Here's the TSB about it:
MC-10199954-0001.pdf (nhtsa.gov)
Wow. Looks pretty technical. The odd thing is, my rpms bounce right along with that shudder which I thought was odd. Again, I have no issues at higher speeds. In fact, it's almost like the car hates going slow. I just hope they don't tell me it's a shift point and normal.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I notice this at times with mine. 2017, seems to do it right after stopping at a stop sign and getting back up to speed. Climbing up around 30mph, perhaps it's not letting the car warm up to proper operating temp when starting the trip. However the shudder feels like it's hunting for the right ratio but clears up rather quickly. I can equate the same experince when driving a manual and using the wrong gear (a higher gear) for the low speed. Sort of like the feeling of shifting from 1st to 5th doing 25mph. (you'd experience the same shudder) It doesn't feel like a slippage to me, it happens so infrequenly that I just don't worry about it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oddly enough, I just dropped mine off to get that windshield weather stripping replaced post-purchase. The 2021 loner they gave me does the same thing. I also had driven a brand new one fresh off the truck (still had plastic on seats) and that had the shudder as well. Very odd...

·
Registered
58 Posts
This is perfectly normal and it is a characteristic of the Subaru CVT. Please refer to the quote I have attached below which was issued by Subaru of Canada. It explains why you May feel what seems like a downshift .

“When decelerating over a longer distance such as a highway off ramp the CVT will keep the torque converter locked-up as long as possible to provide engine braking similar to a manual transmission equipped vehicle. When the torque converter unlocks it may feel similar to a conventional automatic transmission down shifting.”

I hope I have been able to relieve some people in the 5th gen community about this. I have seen it on this forum along with other forums such as out backs, foresters, etc.

However, this should feel like a subtle shift. If it is something that jolts the car, then it is a completely different story. That means the Torque converter is going out .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is perfectly normal and it is a characteristic of the Subaru CVT. Please refer to the quote I have attached below which was issued by Subaru of Canada. It explains why you May feel what seems like a downshift .

“When decelerating over a longer distance such as a highway off ramp the CVT will keep the torque converter locked-up as long as possible to provide engine braking similar to a manual transmission equipped vehicle. When the torque converter unlocks it may feel similar to a conventional automatic transmission down shifting.”

I hope I have been able to relieve some people in the 5th gen community about this. I have seen it on this forum along with other forums such as out backs, foresters, etc.

However, this should feel like a subtle shift. If it is something that jolts the car, then it is a completely different story. That means the Torque converter is going out .
Mine is when accelerating at between 25 and 30mph. It jolts back and forth shaking the entire car. I would say violently, but very noticeably. As for deceleration, I can feel what you speak of but that feels normal and I'm glad you said torque converter cause that's what I assumed it was. So the deceleration isn't an issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

If the torque converter is going out, can they just replace that, or does the cvt go with it?

·
Registered
58 Posts
If the torque converter is going out, can they just replace that, or does the cvt go with it?
I’ve read on other Subaru forums that some have gotten their torque converter replaced before they went the route of doing the whole CVT. But then again, it depends on the dealer and how stupid they’re “techs” are.

my sister has a 21 sport forester, and her head unit was acting up. Instead of going for the smallest stuff first , they replaced the head unit two times and it kept acting up. Wasn’t until they replaced the amplifier or at least checked that it was slightly off from the factory spec in terms of wiring or something. All depends on who’s working in your car and how their day is going sometimes with dealers man.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’ve read on other Subaru forums that some have gotten their torque converter replaced before they went the route of doing the whole CVT. But then again, it depends on the dealer and how stupid they’re “techs” are.

my sister has a 21 sport forester, and her head unit was acting up. Instead of going for the smallest stuff first , they replaced the head unit two times and it kept acting up. Wasn’t until they replaced the amplifier or at least checked that it was slightly off from the factory spec in terms of wiring or something. All depends on who’s working in your car and how their day is going sometimes with dealers man.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I know it's iffy with the techs. Either replacement is fine by me as I have a warranty for a while. I've also heard the fluid in some cvts are low from factory. Is this true? Anyone experience this?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts