5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

The OEM try towbar seem to have a removable hitch which I like.
But it costs double of what I can get otherwise with a fixed ball.

Are there any advantages of the OEM towbar?
Anyone had a deeper knowledge?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Removable drawbar style for both the sedan and 5 door are available at etrailer.com in the $125-$133 range.
Both brands they sell and their customer service have been good but I can't do a direct compare to the OEM one for this car.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm wondering why Subaru would offer a trailer hitch? In the owners manual on page 8-14
is this caution.

"Your vehicle is neither designed nor intended to be used for trailer towing. Therefore,
never tow a trailer with your vehicle."

That said, my son tows a cart trailer with one or two carts, with his Crosstrek. Don't know
what type hitch he has. Don't know if his manual has the same caution.

Clifton

·
Administrator
785 Posts
I wouldn't tow anything with this car. Personal preference though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Your vehicle is neither designed nor intended to be used for trailer towing. Therefore,
never tow a trailer with your vehicle."

That only applies to a Sedan. Read further about Hatch where it states light towing is okay (which is my case).

·
Registered
778 Posts
i don't tow with my Crosstrek but i do have a class 3, 2" hitch on it for a bike rack. at times i have 2 bikes on it and 2 on the roof. no issues whatsoever. but i won't put one on my wife's Impreza. if anything i would do the factory roof bars and use my roof bike racks on it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The official specs for the Hatch model are:

Tow ball load - 120kg
Unbraked trailer - 650kg
Braked trailer - 1200kg

This is good amount of (light) towing capacity.

I have a light trailer with a race motorbike on it which totals to about 300kg. I could tow it in my old 2008 Elantra with half of the towing capacity of Impreza.

So I have no idea where all the "can't tow" is coming from for the Hatch.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I got the no trailer towing information from the owner manual that was provided in the owner
packet for my Impreza, it for USA market cars. I have looked at the manual many times and
do not find any reference that provides trailer towing information, the manual covers both
the hatch and sedan.

Section 8 ends with the trailer towing caution. Nothing more to read other than a reminder
that Subaru will not be responsible for any injury caused by trailer towing.

The same caution is in section 13 on page 13-13 and again on page 13-14.

Clifton

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dnagir-
I just checked my manual and it doesn't give any different tow rating for a sedan vs hatch both say not to do it. Page 8-14 is VERY short and to the point about towing capacity.

Do you live in the US market? I've heard somewhere that there is red tape involved with declaring a tow rating here, though I can't remember where I picked up that tidbit of info. So it may be possible that while our cars are just as capable of light towing, we are just told not to. I'm just suggesting a possible reason for why so many people say no towing period, while you have official figures.

That said, I do have a 1.25" hitch that I got from etrailers.com it is made but Curt. I only use it to take my bicycles to the trail. I haven't used it much so far, but it seems sturdy. When I started searching for a hitch earlier this summer, Subaru doesn't even offer a hitch option, at least not at my dealer.

I hope that helps maybe somebody can add more.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It must be difference between USA and Australia.
I wish I could take a photo from the manual and attach it here (can't see how to do it yet).

The dealer even offers the OEM towbar thus my question.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So back to the question.
Is OEM towbar worth more than double of the Herman Reece (installed) and why?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Your manual is different than my USA manual. I cannot find a Herman Reece hitch listing.
When I type in the vehicle information I'm referred to a draw-tight for the 2017 Impreza .
It sells for around $125 US. Also U Haul lists a hitch for a little more.

None of these are installed, but they all have #200 tongue weight and max #2000 weight
ratings. If your Reece has those ratings and is installed I believe I would take it over
the OEM hitch.

Clifton

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well the 2018 Crosstrek is built on the same frame with the same engine and is rated to tow at 1500 lbs. However, a salesmen at Subaru told me that the Crosstrek transmission was "geared" or "programmed" differently to accommodate the towing. That also accounts for some of the difference in fuel efficiency. Take that for what its worth.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts