5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
A lot of the “youtube reviewers” constantly whine and complain about the impreza and crosstrek being horribly slow, but thats just stupid and pathetic accusations when they compare it to the older NA Imprezas and GD platform WRXs.
Yeah, it was watching and reading reviews and forum posts that made me think I was missing something. It is reassuring to know that while it is slower than other cars, it is not dangerously slow. That is my biggest concern.

·
Registered
616 Posts
With your new manual transmission Impreza, those first break-in miles keeping the revs low will be torture and may make you question your purchase. Once past the break-in, you'll find that acceleration is better starting at 3k RPM and that it is pretty fun to use the rev range. The main bummer will be the rev hang. You can read more about that in other threads on the site.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It is silly for people to complain about the lack of power when they KNOW what they are buying. The Impreza is an ECONOMY car. There should be no expectation of massive power.

For me, the Impreza is just fine. It does exactly what it is supposed to do. Point A to Point B reliably and has AWD to boot.

I have never EVER felt the need for more power with my Impreza. It has far better accelleration than many vehicles I have owned in the past. (I have owned vechicles whch had trouble maintaining the legal speed-limit up a hill)
I knew I was buying an economy car.....but it still doesn't change the fact that it's very slow. My impreza's name it The Turd. I love it though for what I use it for. If I was going to just have one car I wouldn't have bought the sport.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have my 2017 Impreza hatch for over 3 years. I live in the mountains at 8500 feet, and mostly drive on the highway. Whether I go east or west, I have a 3000+ foot climb one way or the other. At first I thought the car was dangerously sluggish after my old Golf. I started using high test and at about 4,000 miles (now I have about 38,000 miles) the engine kicked in and I can easily go 70 climbing. I always use high test and I'm very happy with the car.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My other daily driver was a 2017 Honda HR-V AWD , the 1.8l motor had 141 hp, but I had to hammer the accelerator and high rpms to get onto the highway, I regard it as being too slow. With the Impreza having only 11 more hp I can easily get it up to highway speeds with part throttle and no more than 4000 rpms, I regard it as sufficient, it isn't fast but it isn't painfully slow. it doesn't portray to be something it isn't - comfy good handling economy car with great AWD system - all I needed. When I get into my 2019 WRX on weekend it feels like an F16 after driving the Impreza all week lol.

·
Registered
2019 Impreza, MT
8 Posts
It is strange perhaps, but I really want a manual transmission. Every car I have ever owned except for my current car has been a manual. I definitely get why people like automatics / CVTs, but rowing my own gears makes me feel more connected to the driving experience. I really missed that, and I made it a requirement for the car when I was shopping.
I'm with you man. Only automatic I've ever owned is a Matrix I got for my son. That was plain bad parenting, should have forced him to drive a stick.

I've always owned fairly cheap cars, from VW Rabbits then into Saturns and now a couple base-model Subarus. So, I guess I don't know fast cars to compare with. All as I can say as I have no trouble on highways or twisty back roads. I can get-up-and-go onto an interstate no worries, I can pass others fine. It's not powerful, but I can't really see how it could be fairly called under-powered.

Only exception was once a couple weeks after I bought the car new. I was driving up along the Upper Mississippi on a hot day, air conditioner going, and through a series of steep hills. I was shocked at how much downshifting I was doing on those hills. I could not keep the speed up. Then it got bad on the flats. The thing was a dog, and I was thinking I made a mistake in buying it. Or more likely, the motor was breaking.

But, I stopped for gas and rested the car. I put some high octane gas in. And it was fine after. And I've never had the problem again. Never put in high octane again. I don't know what that was. A computer glitch, bad gas or something.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm with you man. Only automatic I've ever owned is a Matrix I got for my son. That was plain bad parenting, should have forced him to drive a stick.

I've always owned fairly cheap cars, from VW Rabbits then into Saturns and now a couple base-model Subarus. So, I guess I don't know fast cars to compare with. All as I can say as I have no trouble on highways or twisty back roads. I can get-up-and-go onto an interstate no worries, I can pass others fine. It's not powerful, but I can't really see how it could be fairly called under-powered.

Only exception was once a couple weeks after I bought the car new. I was driving up along the Upper Mississippi on a hot day, air conditioner going, and through a series of steep hills. I was shocked at how much downshifting I was doing on those hills. I could not keep the speed up. Then it got bad on the flats. The thing was a dog, and I was thinking I made a mistake in buying it. Or more likely, the motor was breaking.

But, I stopped for gas and rested the car. I put some high octane gas in. And it was fine after. And I've never had the problem again. Never put in high octane again. I don't know what that was. A computer glitch, bad gas or something.
I think the ecu tuning gets a bit conservative when heat soaked and it cuts ignition timing, a/c saps some good power too. Subaru's tend to pull timing as engine temps increase, not uncommon, a frequent complaint on my WRX too.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hot weather with heavilly loaded engine (AC and hills) can promote pre-ignition (pinging). The knock-sensor would detect this and make adjustments to compensate (reducing power) Adding hi-test fuel will eliminate the pre-ignition and allow the power to come back. (NOT becasue it adds power!!!)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

Interesting - what made you want to put high octane gas in the car? That would not have occurred to me.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Not much thought went into it, just to try something different. Our high octane is also ethanol free here, not that that matters much.
Actually, NONethanol makes a HUGE difference. Chemically, there is more 'energy' in NONethanol gasoline when compared to alcohol-laced fuel.

Just because the government mandates there must be alcohol in the fuel does NOT mean it is a good thing. Lets not forget that the government is paying farmers to grow high-ethanol corn SPECIFICALLY to be added to fuel. (taxpayer money being spent to support farmers and provide revenue-stream via selling alcohol-laced fuel)

I carefully measure my MPG on every fillup (have a spreadsheet) and can confirm that REAL gasoline without ethanol will return better MPG and has other benefits for your engine, fuel-system and catalyst.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The CVT is a DOG off of the line. It honesty feels like starting in 2nd most of the time. Once you are moving though, say between 20-70MPH it gets the job done just fine. I came from a supercharged Grand Prix with about 110hp more than the Impreza, but that thing felt huge in comparison when doing anything other than going in a straight line.
Highway passes at 65-75 are adaquit, but it's not a car that you accidentally go 80 without realizing it in. Anything above 80 feels like you are driving through a pool. Only tested speed once on a clear dead highway and 3 figures took an age to arrive. Didn't bother pushing it any harder since I didn't really want to be going that fast for 5 minutes. TBH this car has no business going that fast anyway and as many have pointed out, if that was your goal then buy a WRX.
Where I believe this car shines is as an around town car. I've been using mine for Uber and Lyft for the past 66k miles in Portland or and I tell you, the steering, maneuverability and excellent brakes make this thing feel very zippy and fun in the city and around town. Only cars in the class that I believe could keep up are the Mazda3 and the Civic.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If they bumped up the power or went to a 2.4 or 2.5L motor they could get another 30 hp into the car, but fuel economy would likely drop. If I can get onto a highway without wringing it past 4000 rpms in any gear that is a pretty good benchmark to use and it seems to pass that test for me.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said, but thought it was funny that these Imprezas have 2 MORE hp than my FedEx truck I drive for work.

So, if you think the Impreza is a dog...try driving one of these huge delivery trucks around town all day :D

For me, the Impreza is a perfect commuter vehicle for my area of Colorado. Great fuel economy for the amount of driving I do, good headroom and legroom, and AWD. Pretty much checks all the boxes for my needs. For comparison, my last vehicle was a 330hp Grand Cherokee with AWD as well. Way quicker all around, but I'm happier with the Subi.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm satisfied with the amount of power with my CVT Impreza, but then I'm 70 plus years old and retired. Fifty years ago maybe not. I can't speak to the stick, but the CVT has it's own mind and may just give the appearance of the car being under powered.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As noted by nearly everyone else, it depends on your point of reference. I left a Boxster S for my 2018 Impreza Sport Hatchback when I moved from SoCal to Colombia. My driving is definitely different here. With CVT, the car is generally more than quick enough in my world. The roads here are filled with Dacia's, VW Gol's, Nissan Micros and by comparison, the Subie is a large, fast and luxo type of ride. I'm in Medellín we're like Denver altitude-wise. The car never really feels slow on most occasions.

I would have opted for a manual but the Subaru distributor only commissions automatics for the marketplace. As such the vague behavior inherent in most CVT boxes is part of the experience. From a standing stop, its adequate to about 100kph and then there's not enough air and torque to be nimble in the mountain roads. I think the CVT is definitely the area that requires the most improvement in the car.

As stated by other members, you have to work the motor/CVT to get the maximum performance, that's for sure. But, if you were expecting a non WRX Subaru to be a sports car killer, you will be disappointed. In my environment, I can drive competitively with most cars. And yes, I definitely have learned how to plan my moves in advance to compensate for the powertrain.

I am surprised how much I am enjoying my car and expect that you will, too. Good luck.
JRO

21 - 40 of 67 Posts