5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
When I switch driving from my 19 WRX into the Impreza I do have to plan my moves ahead in terms of acceleration and lane changes. Once I do that it drives just fine, it just tanks a bit of adjusting. With my CVT I will often hit the downshift paddle (when in full auto mode) to get me into the power zone quickly. Using the sport button helps a tiny bit with city driving traffic keeping the rpms up and downshifting a bit more aggressively.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey everyone - My Impreza is set to be delivered to the dealer in a couple of days, and I will probably pick it up next week. I have been looking forward to it for a couple of months now. For those of you that say "it is so underpowered" or "I wish I got something with a larger engine," is that because you had / have something else that has a lot more power, or is it really that bad to live with every day? For me, it was fine on the test drive, and I did wish it had a bit more torque, but I did not think it was as bad as some other cars I drove. Other than wishing it had a bit more torque, the car checks every other box: AWD, manual, hatchback, cloth seats (yeah I know I am weird, but I like cloth seats), a relatively simple car.

I know everyone is different, and at the end of the day, I have to decide if it is a problem for me. However, I wanted to get some perspectives. Is the lack of power really that bad? Does the car have trouble getting onto the highway, going up hills, passing on the highway?

In my opinion and I'm no massive enthusiast but this car will kick if you learn it well. As all have stated it's sad till you get to 2700- 3k and up 4-6k rpm makes me grin like an idiot. I have a 2017 sport hatch 7Speed CVT with slaps, torque vectoring and speed sensitive steering and let me say this once past the break in period I love my car sportiest under 200 horse car I've ever owned. Now all that said once past break in say 4k miles (yes typical break in is 1000k but at 4000k miles it changed) the car evolved and became a beast if you listened to it and gave it what it asked for.... now note I'm known for killing trditional trannies I ask too much of them but this CVT with its fuzzy logic is impressive for sure. I can get Felix to 80+ in 3rd around 4-5k rpm only if ac and traction control is off and I'm using the slaps from there 4th pushes me well past 100 and I still have 3 gears left. The fastest I have gotten him going is 132mph on an empty flat straight highway at 4am but I ran out of road and that was in 5th still had "2 gears" left to explore but I was pushing hard with rpms around 5k plus and it gets mad hot at those speeds hottest was 230f at 120 held for around 5 min consistantly however i wouldn't advise this as a typical driving style that being said lets say zombies or a mad af ex it will get you the F outta dodge without flinching. But to your direct question getting on highway...no problem after break in so long as you get those rpms up to 3k and.. this engine when not loaded (ac off, traction control off, not in extreme heat not full of wall-e humans) at 3k will drop with my CVT down to first and it will smash you back into your seat and launch like its rear end is on fire. Now load it down with weight ac high heat outside traction control yadda yadda Bahh its sooo sad pathetic even but let's remember Felix is a non turbo 180 horse 2L stock plane Jane engine and you shouldn't be surprised as others have stated know what you by and dont expect more otherwise buy something more powerful and stop complaining. But for most instances it's a joy to drive and is well balanced. I eat up twisty back country roads at 75-80 with out sweat or concern and hairpins at 40-50 with little slip however do note I sandbagged the rear of my hatch with around 100lbs of weight aka my emergency kit jack stands extra fluids an air pump... you get the idea because the back end is soo light with my driving style it was a must to keep my rear end on the road (learned this when I found myself in dirt lolololol) And it was this way in the above mentioned situations. Take it out and it screams for what it is but with no extra weight in the back end it gets very scary after 100 mph. The back end gets floaty if you will and it likes to go with the wind currents NOT GOOD AT ALL truly terrifying but add that weight and it sits right on down on the suspension and hugs the road at 100mph+ giving you more control than expected with the sport trims speed sensitive steering so to the point that at 100mph half an inch of wheel turn equates to I'm in the next lane period no questions no sliding so fishtaling im just there and that's it. Under 80 the speed sensitive steering is more what most are accustomed to in most typical sport daily drivers but over 100 that steering is touchy and you better respect it Or it will teach you how to and you will never forget.

Now I moved from ohio to Alabama in this car loaded down with around 1000ish lbs in the back and I stopped in Cherokee to visit a friend on the way down. With it loaded down that much I climbed to the highest point in Cherokee with no hesitation at all with out going over 4k Rpm on extreme grades. And loaded down that much in the mountains on highways I could easily maintain 70+ without having to coax it. But note I had the ac compressor off period and turned to heat to help pull heat off the engine cause it was hot with that much weight but never over 215f. Would I two with this car no but hauling in the cabin no worries with 1000+lbs in mountains at several k feet of elevation.

This summer is going to be a learning experience being in lower Alabama and its mad heat I'm interested to see how Felix handles it but at 51k miles since 3miles new in 2017 I'm sure he will be just fine my biggest concern is the ac wont get cold enough Lololol.

But dude if you respect that this car IS NOT a wrx NOT an sti NOT a turbo and under 200hp and you treat it with expectations as such you will find you love your car and it's more than what you would expect it to be in its class.

After break in at 4k miles I could "launch" Felix off the line (hold the rpms around 2500 with ac off radio off headlights off traction control off still sandbagged this was also with good tires I need new ones now) and i can Leave almost every major muscle and tuner and a few exotics off the line period almost every time without flinching lol now they eat me alive on the stretch but off that line that first quarter mile I can give them hell and a run for their money. On highway same settings I can keep up up to 130 mph with everyone one of them because at 130mph on public roads I just get cold feet lol cause yea I shouldn't even be going that fast to begin with.

Anywho ignore the complainers they shouldn't have bought this car they should have gotten a WRX or another car altogether. It's a great car extremely reliable (so long as its maintained) and terribly fun to drive once you and the car learn how to integrate with each other and yes I speak as though its alive because that fussy logic let me tell you its watch amd learning and the longer you drive it the better it gets just like fine wine its gotta age a touch to really see it shine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mrtedder10: 'Felix,'eh? Could you and I have the only two male cars, extant? Mine is named Phoenix. Definitely male...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Well op did you get the car yet?

Also why didn’t you test drive one before ordering?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just got the car this afternoon. And I did test drive a similar one before ordering :p. It was fine on the test drive, but I wanted other people's opinions since they have owned their cars longer than me. They also drive it in all kinds of places.

I am still getting used to driving a manual again, but it really is like riding a bike. I have not stalled it yet. :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
After break in at 4k miles I could "launch" Felix off the line (hold the rpms around 2500 with ac off radio off headlights off traction control off still sandbagged this was also with good tires I need new ones now) and i can Leave almost every major muscle and tuner and a few exotics off the line period almost every time without flinching lol now they eat me alive on the stretch but off that line that first quarter mile I can give them hell and a run for their money.
That's the funniest thing I've read in a long, long time. Thank you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I still don't understand people saying "underpowered". Certainly not compared to my first Subaru which was a 1984 GL Wagon. I guess it's just relative to what people are used to today. But to me , "underpowered" means it doesn't have enough power to do what its supposed to do. My GL had 95 hp and it did fine with that. I think this car is great and it's perfect for my teen driver.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I still don't understand people saying "underpowered". Certainly not compared to my first Subaru which was a 1984 GL Wagon. I guess it's just relative to what people are used to today. But to me , "underpowered" means it doesn't have enough power to do what its supposed to do. My GL had 95 hp and it did fine with that. I think this car is great and it's perfect for my teen driver.
It is fantastic for any teen driver, you can't get much safer than this car with all of it's safety features and high safety rating. Enough power to do what is needed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The power to weight ratio of my 2019 Sport (CVT) is 20.6:1, which is the same as my wife's 2015 Outback Premium (CVT) and the 2009 Outback Limited (4-Speed EAT) I owned. None of these are fast cars, but horsepower & torque is more than adequate for the driving the mountainous terrain here in SW Pennsylvania. The flat torque curve helps considerably as others have mentioned.

The rigid body and minimal body roll is great--it's probably the best handling car I've driven. That's in the perspective of owning a 1971 Datsun 240Z, and learning to drive in my Dad's 1965 Jaguar E type & 1971 Porsche 911E.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The power to weight ratio of my 2019 Sport (CVT) is 20.6:1, which is the same as my wife's 2015 Outback Premium (CVT) and the 2009 Outback Limited (4-Speed EAT) I owned. None of these are fast cars, but horsepower & torque is more than adequate for the driving the mountainous terrain here in SW Pennsylvania. The flat torque curve helps considerably as others have mentioned.

The rigid body and minimal body roll is great--it's probably the best handling car I've driven. That's in the perspective of owning a 1971 Datsun 240Z, and learning to drive in my Dad's 1965 Jaguar E type & 1971 Porsche 911E.
Damn I miss those 240Z's, if they weren't rust buckets we would still have one. They had around 150 hp, but only 2350 lbs to push.

·
Registered
110 Posts
So based on one of the previous replies I decided to take the car up to 100 mph today to see how it handles. It seemed to be as stable as a couch at that speed, no floatiness at all, perfectly composed and easy to drive. I've got the sport tech with the added suspension tuning and rear wing, and it felt great to me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Damn I miss those 240Z's, if they weren't rust buckets we would still have one. They had around 150 hp, but only 2350 lbs to push.
I had mine from 1975 to 1977. It was at 35,000 miles at purchase and I drove it another 35,000. It rusted away as I watched. I thought the engine and transmission were good, but sounded harsh during hard acceleration. All 4 universal joints on the half-shafts failed twice--one catastrophically. One of two retaining straps on the gas tank failed during a time-speed-distance rally, resulting in tank dragging. That was a life experience...

They were relatively fast cars for the time: 0-60 @ 7.8 seconds with a top speed of 122 to 125 mph depending on who you listen to. Any WRX would eat them alive. I had mine to 117 mph one night and the hatch opened--another life experience.

The Gen 5 Impreza is a vastly better car and much more fun to drive IMO.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had mine from 1975 to 1977. It was at 35,000 miles at purchase and I drove it another 35,000. It rusted away as I watched. I thought the engine and transmission were good, but sounded harsh during hard acceleration. All 4 universal joints on the half-shafts failed twice--one catastrophically. One of two retaining straps on the gas tank failed during a time-speed-distance rally, resulting in tank dragging. That was a life experience...

They were relatively fast cars for the time: 0-60 @ 7.8 seconds with a top speed of 122 to 125 mph depending on who you listen to. Any WRX would eat them alive. I had mine to 117 mph one night and the hatch opened--another life experience.

The Gen 5 Impreza is a vastly better car and much more fun to drive IMO.
That is some great info on the 240z, yeah it never felt fast to me, but the mechanical goodness of the engine and transmission and clutch was just so nice at the time, vastly different than any other car. I loved driving it, I didn't like the handling as it had tons of body roll and big sidewall tires. Some people turned those cars into absolute monsters but ours was always stock. It rusted continuously, we had the entire car restored once and then it started rusting out again and we decided to get rid of it. I often want to get one as a project car but rust and me just don't mix, quite possibly the one thing that turns me off cars is rust.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Be
Best thing for a teen driver = Manual

·
Registered
110 Posts
Be

I bought a 2000 Acura integra GSR in 2019 and taught my son to drive manual trannies, he did really well. I also had a 2002 Honda S2000 at the time but there was no way I was going to teach anyone to drive manual on that car, lol.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Be

Couldn't disagree more, and I drove only manuals for 20 years. Teens need to focus on things like Cell Phone Drivers and potholes, they need to learn just how bad Americans drive and the clutch/ shifter is an added distraction.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Couldn't disagree more, and I drove only manuals for 20 years. Teens need to focus on things like Cell Phone Drivers and potholes, they need to learn just how bad Americans drive and the clutch/ shifter is an added distraction.
Feel free to disagree, I've driven manuals most of my life and actually have a 17 year old driving right now. It's who we leased the Impreza 5 spd for.
Driving a manual forces you to concentrate on driving. Not sure where you've been been, but most of those cell phone drivers are teens.
I know in the DC area, he's constantly shifting, not much time to hold a phone and text.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Feel free to disagree, I've driven manuals most of my life and actually have a 17 year old driving right now. It's who we leased the Impreza 5 spd for.
Driving a manual forces you to concentrate on driving. Not sure where you've been been, but most of those cell phone drivers are teens.
I know in the DC area, he's constantly shifting, not much time to hold a phone and text.
This is facts. If you have to shift its very hard to text. Driving a manual car makes you have to focus on actually driving instead of going into auto pilot. We gotta teach the upcoming generations how to drive a stick or else they will al disappear. The 5mt trans was the main reason i went for an impreza sport [also wanted minimal driving assists so that worked out]

·
Registered
2018 Hatch 5MT
58 Posts
This is facts. If you have to shift its very hard to text. Driving a manual car makes you have to focus on actually driving instead of going into auto pilot.
I feel like this boils down to whether someone can multitask more so than anything else. One of my first instances of being around a stick shift was in freshman year of high school. My buddies older brother had a 5 speed Toyota Tercel. This was about 1999ish but it was a sight ingrained into me: stick shift, ripping a butt, holding his coffee, while doing the shrug/crane neck thing talking into a Nokia brick during a snowstorm. If you're a space cadet to begin with a stick won't help.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts