5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
I know in the DC area, he's constantly shifting, not much time to hold a phone and text.

Sure, but will he try? I can eat a Big mac and fries and nurse a Large coke in my 350z, but admittedly that engine allows you to be lazy with the shifts.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I feel like this boils down to whether someone can multitask more so than anything else. One of my first instances of being around a stick shift was in freshman year of high school. My buddies older brother had a 5 speed Toyota Tercel. This was about 1999ish but it was a sight ingrained into me: stick shift, ripping a butt, holding his coffee, while doing the shrug/crane neck thing talking into a Nokia brick during a snowstorm. If you're a space cadet to begin with a stick won't help.
My sister is a serious space cadet. EXCEPT when it comes to driving. She learned on a stick shift (as my brother and I did), and driving seems to be the only thing she is not a space cadet at. However, this is my experience, and I know we have different experiences.

I bought the Impreza because of the MT, and it should last at least 6 years, which is when my oldest will be learning to drive.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I feel like this boils down to whether someone can multitask more so than anything else. One of my first instances of being around a stick shift was in freshman year of high school. My buddies older brother had a 5 speed Toyota Tercel. This was about 1999ish but it was a sight ingrained into me: stick shift, ripping a butt, holding his coffee, while doing the shrug/crane neck thing talking into a Nokia brick during a snowstorm. If you're a space cadet to begin with a stick won't help.
Big nod for the Toyota Tercel reference! It must have been a damn near new black hawk edition to have the 5 speed! My buddy still drives a 4 speed 1995 tercel. Those cars are a true automotive masterpiece. The last of a long gone generation. The simplicity of the car makes it so bulletproof. With studded snow tires the thing is a tank. also, with its pathetic like 75 hp or whatever it has left the thing hauls ass! so you dont need power to party!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think it is a good trait to have your child know how to drive stick-shift, that's why I did it. The vast majority of youth growing up today will not know what manual tranny is all about. Of all my son's friends he is the only one who can drive a manual tranny. In 10 years time you may not see another new manual tranny in any car, but it is always good to know IMO.

·
Registered
202 Posts
In 10 years time you may not see another new manual tranny in any car, but it is always good to know IMO.

That's true, especially since soo many classics didn't offer automatics . I have a friend that just refuses to learn how (he is Dumb) to drive a stick and he's a car guy. I've pulled up in many cool cars and offered to let him drive only to then say "I forgot, you're the only guy I know who can't drive a stick".

·
Registered
102 Posts
You know I keep telling myself, that based on the specs and acceleration figures reported, this must be the slowest car in the world. But everyday I drive it and pace along other cars it just keeps up so easily. I can't explain it, but it just seems to drive much easier than one might expect. Driving along with cars that have 2-3 times the level of hp, and it is so easy to keep up without having to use much throttle or rpms. I'm talking about part throttle city driving, not any form of racing conditions. I'm not saying the car is as fast as these other cars in race conditions but it keeps up well enough and beyond anything I expected.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have 2019 sport tech cvt. The car didn't feel under power in city speed(<100km\h)
But highway merge does need some planning.
I too used to own faster car back in the time and no complaints for the impreza as a total package.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts