5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I am finding that when I view this site on my desktop (macOS Safari browser), particularly during night time (US Pacific Time), the site will spontaneously re-direct to some malicious site and try to make me install Flash.

Attaching some screenshots from last night:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s this site for sure. Tested on two different macs, and I also cleared all cache and cookies. Only happens with this site, and only at night time.

·
Administrator
1,828 Posts
It’s this site for sure. Tested on two different macs, and I also cleared all cache and cookies. Only happens with this site, and only at night time.
Dunno what to tell you, it has never happened to me and you are the first who has mentioned it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Did you try on a different mac on a different network? Since no other member mentioned the problem (and I'm sure there are other mac users who visit at night), it does sound specific to your machine. You may also have a corrupt or malicious plug-in. My wife is a software engineer, I'll pick her brain when I get home from work.

Edit: My wife also has a Mac desktop, and we'll try to replicate this tonight.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Follow-Up for @tzd :
We were able to replicate what you saw using my wife's Mac Desktop and Safari. She also has Chrome and Firefox installed on her computer, and both those web browsers were fine.

Short-term solution: Download and use Chrome or Firefox.

Long-Term: There may be some ongoing or previous hacking. I think since few people use Safari, the problem hasn't surfaced yet. It is something the admin should look into.

Our church website had something similar happen to it, when you would use a mobile browser, you got redirected to a pop-up claiming that you were the, "1,000,000,000th visitor", with a link to, "Claim your prize!" She volunteered to be the new web manager and uncovered a whole lot of shady back-page stuff happening. Someone got a hold of a former youth pastor's credentials, an admin account, and sold it on the dark net. Hackers would use the credentials to set up unpublished pages so they could use the servers to upload and download files.

She spent a day shutting these guys down. It was fun to see how many failed logins occurred after she changed and ultimately deleted the compromised account.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for confirming! It happened to me last night as well, then I switched to Firefox which seemed to work fine. Strange it only happens in the night time. My guess is an ad that only comes into rotation at night.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I must confess, I totally forgot to check last night, but remembered when I woke up and checked at 6 AM PST, which does add the data point that the redirect is still active in the semi-early morning. The website I got redirected to was, "updatevideo.free", which was different than your redirect to "playheavilyrefinedfreeware.icu".

·
Administrator
222 Posts
Hey all!

To best help us file these reports of ad issues, we'll need some information from y'all.
  • Device & Version:
  • OS & Version:
  • Browser & Extensions:
  • Any Screenshot of the error:
  • URL you were being routed to:
We aim to integrate the ads in the most seamless way to ensure that it does not block content and can be easily scrolled past if the offer or product is not something of interest to you. If a malicious ad is slipping through our process, your reports will help us catch them.

-Gerrit

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
  • Device & Version: MacBook Pro (13-inch 2017)
  • OS & Version: macOS 10.14.6
  • Browser & Extensions: Safari 13.0.5 (14608.5.12), no Extensions installed
  • Any Screenshot of the error: See my 1st post
  • URL you were being routed to: These are the three from my screenshot. There are more as it redirects to a different site every time I load the forum page, but I didn't save all of them.
I also experienced it on another Mac, namely:
  • Device & Version: iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
  • OS & Version: macOS 10.13.6
Last night (Tue March 3rd) it didn't happen, so I don't have anything new to add. If it happens again I will post here.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Adblockers don't just block ads, they also block malware.

Here's a good one that works on chrome and firefox and new edge: nano adblocker - Google Search

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@Adminstrator, it is happening again right now (Mar 7, Saturday night). It didn't happen during the week days last week (March 3-6).

I made a screen capture of what I see in Safari. (Posting this now using Firefox). I enabled mouse tracking in the video recording so you can see exactly what I am doing (which is nothing - just load impreza5.com, sit and wait, and the redirect will happen).

From what I can see, something on the impreza5.com page always redirects first to 'gogo.thepowerrangers.com', which then randomly redirects it to one of many other pages. Some I copied some of the URLs that I got redirected to:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It just happened again, right now. Same thing, gogo.thepowerrangers.com which redirects to another page. Strangely this time, it is happening on this computer:
  • Device & Version: iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
  • OS & Version: macOS 10.13.6
But not on this computer:
  • Device & Version: MacBook Pro (13-inch 2017)
  • OS & Version: macOS 10.14.6
Posting this from my MacBook Pro Safari.

·
Registered
111 Posts
On my phone i keep getting redirected to a "google" survey on this site. I do believe there is something going on. About 3x today already.

·
Registered
2019 Impreza, MT
8 Posts
Could be. But if it is the ads, VerticalScope won't fix it. The ads are just a subscription they subscribe to and get some revenue from, they don't control them. They could report issues to the provider I suppose, but they won't. Gerritt asked for details over two weeks ago and hasn't responded since to the well-intended responses, that should tell you something.

It might deprive VerticalScope of some revenue, but ad blockers are the way to go.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts