5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forums. Hope to post a lot of great content and how tos on mods I've done. Severely disappointed with the headlights on my Impreza. Trying everything but candles to fix it. I've added light bars and obligatory Hella horns.

·
Super Moderator
1,797 Posts
Welcome! Why are you a "Mazda Traitor"? I had a Protege5 Sportwagon, loved that car!

You need to get some better bulbs in those lights man.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am a Mazda traitor because I bought a Subaru. Love the brand, but they don't make AWD manual cars that fit me physically. Needed a good reliable daily after my Mazdaspeed6's timing tensioner went. I love the Impreza. Still wish Mazda made something newer with a manual and AWD.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also I'm going with a LED limited headlight swap now. Tried a Xenon projector retrofit and I broke the spare headlight I bought to try it out on. Permaseal can get f'ed sideways with a pickle fork.

·
Super Moderator
1,797 Posts
I am a Mazda traitor because I bought a Subaru. Love the brand, but they don't make AWD manual cars that fit me physically. Needed a good reliable daily after my Mazdaspeed6's timing tensioner went. I love the Impreza. Still wish Mazda made something newer with a manual and AWD.
I have been looking at the Mazda CX5.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been looking at the Mazda CX5.
They are NICE! I know two people with them. They're too big for me. They have decent power for mountain driving. The rear legroom isn't great. I fit a 5' bathtub in my parents' CX-5. The size of my Impreza is great. I like the ride height and handling. I think my Impreza Sport is a little lower than my Mazdaspeed6 even. It's a slow car that's great to drive fast.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It's a shame to hear that the headlights are not sealed with butyl anymore. I was wondering why people are going with a bulb swap instead of a retrofit. I have an 18 Limited and can honestly say that while the LED projectors are pretty decent and the SRH is awesome, the output and cutoff does not compare to the HID retrofit that I did on my 07 Grand Prix. Those lights were a breeze to open and I just assumed that all lights were like that. Was the spare you bought a Subaru part or a third party? I wonder if third party lights would seal with butyl.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a shame to hear that the headlights are not sealed with butyl anymore. I was wondering why people are going with a bulb swap instead of a retrofit. I have an 18 Limited and can honestly say that while the LED projectors are pretty decent and the SRH is awesome, the output and cutoff does not compare to the HID retrofit that I did on my 07 Grand Prix. Those lights were a breeze to open and I just assumed that all lights were like that. Was the spare you bought a Subaru part or a third party? I wonder if third party lights would seal with butyl.
I bought a refurbished housing. Permasealed garbage. The morimoto permatrator is just acetone. So I tried using nail polish remover. I think that just weakened the lens.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Also I'm going with a LED limited headlight swap now. Tried a Xenon projector retrofit and I broke the spare headlight I bought to try it out on. Permaseal can get f'ed sideways with a pickle fork.
I bought a refurbished housing. Permasealed garbage. The morimoto permatrator is just acetone. So I tried using nail polish remover. I think that just weakened the lens.
Seems like most manufacturers are going with permaseal nowadays, dang. Just watched a Retrofit source video on it and they were able to open them, but you have to bake them in the oven for about twice as long as with butyl. Even then they said that theirs was an example of the easiest it could have gone and most of them really suck.
I don't know if you've sourced your LED housings yet, but I have a Limited, so just shoot me a PM if you need any additional pictures of the wiring, or if you like I could just unplug the harness and use a multimeter to see what each wire does.
Just let me know. It seems like the other guy that did the swap flaked out unfortunately.
When you get this figured out it would be great if you would post a full walkthrough for anyone else that wants to tackle this in the future (I'm sure you were planning on it anyway).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seems like most manufacturers are going with permaseal nowadays, dang. Just watched a Retrofit source video on it and they were able to open them, but you have to bake them in the oven for about twice as long as with butyl. Even then they said that theirs was an example of the easiest it could have gone and most of them really suck.
I don't know if you've sourced your LED housings yet, but I have a Limited, so just shoot me a PM if you need any additional pictures of the wiring, or if you like I could just unplug the harness and use a multimeter to see what each wire does.
Just let me know. It seems like the other guy that did the swap flaked out unfortunately.
When you get this figured out it would be great if you would post a full walkthrough for anyone else that wants to tackle this in the future (I'm sure you were planning on it anyway).
I would love it if you could take a look at the pinout of your connectors. I know there's a fan for the LED bulb (5v), the headlight bulb should be 12.5v, day time running lights 12v, and parking lights are 12v. I have a driver's side LED headlight assembly. The headlight stalk will help activate the different signals. The steering wheel may activate the headlight swivel too.

The plan is to try to get all the functionality out of the headlight I can. I will definitely get a good detailed how to going too.

I have attached a color-coded layout. The clip that attaches the harness to the headlight is at the top edge when looking at it face on. "Not needed" are the notes I've made so far off the initial post.

Preview attachment 20200208_205407.jpg

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would love it if you could take a look at the pinout of your connectors. I know there's a fan for the LED bulb (5v), the headlight bulb should be 12.5v, day time running lights 12v, and parking lights are 12v. I have a driver's side LED headlight assembly. The headlight stalk will help activate the different signals. The steering wheel may activate the headlight swivel too.

The plan is to try to get all the functionality out of the headlight I can. I will definitely get a good detailed how to going too.

I have attached a color-coded layout. The clip that attaches the harness to the headlight is at the top edge when looking at it face on. "Not needed" are the notes I've made so far off the initial post.

View attachment 22793
Preview attachment 20200208_205407.jpg
View attachment 22794
Excellent, I'll have a look at it tomorrow. Would you be able to make a similar chart with yours on the side of the harness that goes to the car? A chart just like this one with all the wire functions labeled. I should be able to whip up a wiring diagram to make it really straight forward for anyone to do the swap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's the color coded diagram with the polarity. The Red/Green wire is strange. My turn signal doubles as a yellow day light running bulb when the turn signal isn't flashing. The polarity swaps on the pin once the turn signal is activated. Check your turn signal wire to see if it flip flops.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am really happy with the LED lights on my 2020 Sport Tech and the matching fog lights cast a super wide light beam that really helps on dark roads by illuminating areas on both road shoulders extremely well. Good luck with the upgrade, standard yellowy halogen lights just don't cut it anymore for me, my Impreza and WRX have really good lights for what I need.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts