5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend has a 2017 BMW 5 series, and the dome light has a very subtle, very dim ambient light in it. It illuminates the rear seats, and a little of the front, perfectly. It's just enough to barely notice it's there, but makes it so you can actually see things around the car at night. I was wondering if anyone knew of anything that would be DE3021 compatible and be really dim, so I can just leave the dome lamp in my Impreza on all the time for the same effect (I still haven't looked to see if the switch overrides the accessory off)
I know we have that tiny blue LED in the overhead switches that shines on the shifter area, but its so dim idek why Subaru dealt with the costs of putting it there at all. Everything that's our bulb size and LED seems to be "SUPER BRIGHT, THE BRIGHTEST THING YOU'LL EVER INSTALL, BLIND YOUR PASSENGERS"

· Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
423 Posts
So the dome light switches override engine off, you'll kill the battery leaving them on. If it's dimmer light you want, look for a super low wattage from incandescent bulbs. LEDs are lower wattage than traditional bulbs, and will definitely advertise as such, so it'd be hard pressed to find something like that.

Why not find out the bulbs that you got in the gf's BMW? I'm sure that the bulb would be of a specific brand, they likely also would sell a size that would match our dome lights.

· Registered
39 Posts
Are you sure you are just looking at a dome light on that G30 5 series? BMW have ambient lights, that consist of a fiber optic conductor and a LED on the base. They can be very dim. If you want something similar there is always a chinese option, but I doubt it will look like the one on the 5 series

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you sure you are just looking at a dome light on that G30 5 series? BMW have ambient lights, that consist of a fiber optic conductor and a LED on the base. They can be very dim. If you want something similar there is always a chinese option, but I doubt it will look like the one on the 5 series
There's the ambient fiber optics in the door cards, and the dome light has a red/orange ambient glow at night as well. The ambient dome light emits more light than the fiber optics from what I can tell. I've kind of looked into the EL-Wire stuff for the fiber optic ambient lighting. I'm on the fence on that. I don't think I'll be able to achieve a fit and finish I'd like illuminated lol; I'm worried about it coming out cheap and ricey looking, rather than class.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the dome light switches override engine off, you'll kill the battery leaving them on. If it's dimmer light you want, look for a super low wattage from incandescent bulbs. LEDs are lower wattage than traditional bulbs, and will definitely advertise as such, so it'd be hard pressed to find something like that.

Why not find out the bulbs that you got in the gf's BMW? I'm sure that the bulb would be of a specific brand, they likely also would sell a size that would match our dome lights.
I cant believe I didn't think to work backwards through just searching for that bulb as a direct BMW replacement... The more I look, the more it looks like I'm just a massive idiot and was seeing the fiber optic lights being reflected in the dome light's housing?? Idek what reality is anymore. I'll have to inspect when's she's over tomorrow night.

· Registered
39 Posts
I cant believe I didn't think to work backwards through just searching for that bulb as a direct BMW replacement... The more I look, the more it looks like I'm just a massive idiot and was seeing the fiber optic lights being reflected in the dome light's housing?? Idek what reality is anymore. I'll have to inspect when's she's over tomorrow night.
Looks like BMW sells those as an entire assembly

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like BMW sells those as an entire assembly
Yeah the LED's in the dome lamp unit are actually really similar to the blue ones we have in our cars. It's 2 super small lights that have their own openings in the housing. I could probably wire something up with some cheap amazon LED's or something.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts