5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like there are people here regretting buying their Imprezas. I read that over and over again and am having trouble understanding it. Maybe it's just because I chose the base model, but so far this car has been great. It was worth the 8 week wait to get it how I wanted it. No I didn't get the bigger screen, the eyesight, the CVT, or the look around corners headlights. Just the regular power windows, power locks, cruise control, backup camera, 6" display, bluetooth, remote door locks, symmetric AWD, and 5 speed manual with a pass though trunk. Just a base model full of stuff that seems to work pretty well so far. The dimming mirrors, homelink garage remote, and Rockford Fosgate upgrade were nice additions. A round shift knob made the shifting even more enjoyable. I'm interested to try the STI short shifter kit. I just need to put some time aside to figure out how to install it. The only real bummer was that I couldn't get "the base" with better wheels from Subaru. But there are so many nice aftermarket options available for Imprezas, so that wasn't a big issue to get past. The one thing I'm going to really be keeping a watch out for is an ant-sway bar kit. This is a big car and with the quick steering (which is awesome!) it does have a bit more body roll than I expected. Overall I do like the feel of the suspension though.

The biggest struggle has been having patience with proper break-in during the first 1000 miles. Thankfully that's done with and it can now be driven properly. My son helped me daily with the countdown to freedom. He hated the break-in period too.

Attachments

·
Registered
357 Posts
I hear the break in. Myself too, I drove spirited for the first 1500. I have to say the car, despite it's weight, it boogies. The CVT does a pretty good job keeping the RPMS up in the power range. Shifts around 5.5K, when the petal is mashed. I'm pleasantly pleased after reading much negative reviews about how it is under powered. It's always fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Im not sure if you read my post about the weak windshield and paint :grin2: but other than that and the CVT (which i regret getting for personal interest cause i despise CVTs over standard automatics) other than those little gripes, i absolutely LOVE my Impreza 5. Coming out of a 2001 BMW 330ci 5MT, this car does feel like a bit of a slouch, but what can you expect out of a 4 pot NA motor hauling around a 5 door hatch. My harmon/kardon speakers amaze me every time I'm in the car, so now I'm curious as to how the rockford fosgates sound. Having the sport model with the torque vectoring handles amazing for a standard family car (almost as good as my old BMW!) but the body roll is a bit nerve racking, so I'm just waiting until some lowering springs and sway bars come on the market ill be the first to grab em. Those wheels look awesome OP, what size are they? I'm not sure if id want to get another set of 18s for mine or go down to 17s with a bigger side wall tire with maybe a stickier compound. Apparently according to car and driver, the sport model adds 150lbs of unsprung weight with the 18s! Overall, if i wasn't as nitpicky as i am, I love my Subaru as a daily driver, as the BMW was becoming more and more obnoxious and "canyon carver" focused. Hopefully once mods are available for this car, i don't get too carried away, and need a new daily again :laugh:

I'm pretty sure you guys are ahead of me, but ill link the C&D article here. 2017 Subaru Impreza 5-Door First Drive ? Review ? Car and Driver

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
It seems like there are people here regretting buying their Imprezas. I read that over and over again and am having trouble understanding it.
It's the Internet, it's where everyone goes to complain. There's no reason to get discouraged. Yes, we're all driving the first year of a model generation, but my 02 WRX and 08 STI were first year cars as well. All car manufactuers have issues and recalls. There's so much technology packed in cars these days that they are bound to have some issues. That doesn't mean we're all driving crappy cars.

Is my Impreza Sport the perfect car? No it isn't, but what car is? I don't regret my purchase at all.

·
Administrator
785 Posts
It's the Internet, it's where everyone goes to complain. There's no reason to get discouraged. Yes, we're all driving the first year of a model generation, but my 02 WRX and 08 STI were first year cars as well. All car manufactuers have issues and recalls. There's so much technology packed in cars these days that they are bound to have some issues. That doesn't mean we're all driving crappy cars.

Is my Impreza Sport the perfect car? No it isn't, but what car is? I don't regret my purchase at all.

I completely agree with this! I was hesitant to buy my Impreza Sport because of some issues reported, but ultimately decided that no matter what "new" car I bought there would most likely be issues. I decided to buy a Subaru because of their track record and their willingness to stand by their product. This is something that other automakers might not be able to claim. I feel comfortable knowing that Subaru will take the time to fix whatever is necessary to make the customer happy. Some customers reported receiving a $150 gift certificate as an apology for all the inconvenience they've faced and I think that speaks volumes of their service. Will a gesture like this make everyone happy? Definitely not, but something is better than "sorry about your luck."

Unfortunately there will always be issues and recalls. My last car had a trunk issue in the first few months and my new home had numerous issues during the first year or so. Everything is an inconvenience, but that's the way it is. Subaru will take care of it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thats awesome. I got a base in white as well but mine is 5 door.

I didn't feel like i needed anything else with it. Using stock steelies for winter tires, and I bought new summer rims in 16".

Used the stock tires on the new rims.

Just waiting for parts to come out now!

·
Registered
730 Posts
I don't regret anything about buying this vehicle. I've had my Sport for almost 3 months now & have put on close to 7000 miles already. I know some of us have had some issues but in all fairness they have been minor. I love how this car performs in snow & wet conditions. When someone asks me how it performs in snow or wet conditions I reply with "it sticks to the road like glue on paper" because it really does. The AWD is the best thing about this car. I love the overall look about the car, the Sport trim really does it for me. It's a pretty nippy car, meaning it has plenty of power & the paddle shifters come in handy when going down hills or slowing down. I have love the hill start assist or whatever it's called. My previous car (2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse) didn't have a backup camera or Apple Carplay or heated seats lol. I been having some minor issues but I'm sure Subaru will fix them once they have a solution.

·
Registered
74 Posts
In 3 months of ownership, I am at 9000kms haha.

Well for a comparison, I bought a Lexus IS brand new in 2008. When i sold it in 2011 it had 150000 kms.

I feel that the car is a little underpowered and im waiting to see if there is anything aftermarket that will come out to help with that aspect.

Not looking for anything crazy but just a small improvement to power.

I am itching to do suspension mods too!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Reading your post I find it funny that you say you got the base model, then you rattle off all the features it has. Technically it may be the base model, but it's really well equipped.

The one thing I'm going to really be keeping a watch out for is an ant-sway bar kit. This is a big car and with the quick steering (which is awesome!) it does have a bit more body roll than I expected. Overall I do like the feel of the suspension though.
There could be bad news on this front. I forget where I read this (may have been this forum), but I saw a discussion about changing (or adding) a rear anti-sway bar. From the discussion and the diagram I saw it looks exceedingly difficult to do. Most cars it's very easy, but this one you need to remove the rear sub-frame to do it. The anti-sway bar attaches between the subframe and the body, and it's forward of the rear axle instead of behind it.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think it's kind of funny too. Almost all of the features I would option are standard and only a few that I don't want were included. Thankfully, things like hill start assist can be turned off.

I also read something about rear seat bar being difficult to install or being integrated in the rear suspension. I'm not giving that much attention yet. Next item is installation of the STI short throw shifter I bought. It's one of the accessories that Subaru doesn't provide installation instructions for, but I'm not ready to give in and pay for installation yet.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, the base only was offered with steel wheels and hubcaps. I bought these Enkei M52 wheels for the dealership to put on when the car arrived.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had to do the same thing.

Base came with hub caps and steelies. I just put new winter tires on steelies and bought 16" TSW Hockenheim to put the stock tires on.

The offset of the aftermarket is nice though. Sits flush with fender!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts