5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might be looking at a base model Impreza hatchback in a month or two, and I hate CVT transmissions, so it will be a 5-spd. I've heard some pretty damning reviews about the manual transmission, including the comment "dreadful" from Car-&-Driver (Ouch!). A quick search on this forum shows that there is an issue with rev lag, and several people have claimed that the shifter feels notchy (not sure what that means).

I have owned more than a dozen cars with 4-spd and 5-spd transmissions, and I didn't really hate any of them. The '93 Miata box was exceptional, while the '89 Nissan pickup required orangutan arms to reach from 1st to 2nd. Is the newer Impreza 5-spd really that bad? Eventually, I will drive one, but I'd like some feedback, so I know what to look for.

Thanks all

·
Registered
163 Posts
I might be looking at a base model Impreza hatchback in a month or two, and I hate CVT transmissions, so it will be a 5-spd. I've heard some pretty damning reviews about the manual transmission, including the comment "dreadful" from Car-&-Driver (Ouch!). A quick search on this forum shows that there is an issue with rev lag, and several people have claimed that the shifter feels notchy (not sure what that means).

I have owned more than a dozen cars with 4-spd and 5-spd transmissions, and I didn't really hate any of them. The '93 Miata box was exceptional, while the '89 Nissan pickup required orangutan arms to reach from 1st to 2nd. Is the newer Impreza 5-spd really that bad? Eventually, I will drive one, but I'd like some feedback, so I know what to look for.

Thanks all
The Rev hang is something to get used to. The notchiness is an opinion, not an issue. It's not bad or good. I have the 2018 sport, and find the notchiness nice because ik if I'm in gear.

There's nothing fundamentally wrong with it. It's all opinion. If you want to know for yourself, I highly recommend setting up a test drive with your local Subaru dealership.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
813 Posts
I liked the 5 spd, added the Subaru short throw shifter linkage, liked it even more, then got a tune that eliminates the rev hang and now I love the 5 spd.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm actually really enjoying my 5mt car. There is a noticeable shifter feel difference between the sport and the base but mechanically they are the same. It's plenty strong for the kind of power the car puts out, and the rev hand isn't bad if you double clutch.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I might be looking at a base model Impreza hatchback in a month or two, and I hate CVT transmissions, so it will be a 5-spd.
I thought the same until I drove Subaru's new CVT. It's not what you think it is. It also gets noticeably better gas mileage than the manual and the paddles are fun to play with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I liked the 5 spd, added the Subaru short throw shifter linkage, liked it even more, then got a tune that eliminates the rev hang and now I love the 5 spd.
Doesn't the linkage and custom tune void the warranty? The whole reason I'm looking at new cars is that I'm tired of repairing mine, and I want 60k miles where I don't pay for anything but maintenance. Pretty sure that I have a bad U-joint this weekend after just fixing the EGR and transfer case last weekend.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought the same until I drove Subaru's new CVT. It's not what you think it is. It also gets noticeably better gas mileage than the manual and the paddles are fun to play with.
My parents have a newer Forester with the CVT, and it is much nicer than any other CVT I have driven. Quieter, smoother, and more responsive. Only thing is that the Forester has a lot more power. Nothing worse than an automatic behind an under-powered engine, and I'm betting that CVT's will not last much longer than 100k miles (probably cheaper to rebuild though). Most importantly, the nicer models are out of my price range.

Regarding mileage, I think the jury is still out on this one. The EPA mileage ratings are not based on real world driving, and the fuelly website actually suggests a slight advantage to the 5-speed. I have never seen an auto get better mileage mileage than I can get with a 5-speed in the same car. CVT's might prove to be a game changer, but I'm skeptical.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Doesn't the linkage and custom tune void the warranty? The whole reason I'm looking at new cars is that I'm tired of repairing mine, and I want 60k miles where I don't pay for anything but maintenance. Pretty sure that I have a bad U-joint this weekend after just fixing the EGR and transfer case last weekend.
The linkage is a Subaru accessory that is standard on the sport trim (mine is base).

The tune could result in denial of coverage if I took the car in for warranty work associated with the engine. But that's not the same thing as a blanket 'void the warranty' which Subaru doesn't do, and my clutch plate will be getting less wear with my tune than without it. I'm good with my decision.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Love my CVT.
I love that Subaru has manual trans available in most of their models and enough enthusiast community to have great aftermarket options.

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
I love that Subaru has manual trans available in most of their models and enough enthusiast community to have great aftermarket options.

I would bet that in the next three years manuals are fazed out across the Subaru line.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Next 3 years is a bit too pessimistic. This global platform is pretty young and has multiple options for manual trans. Very doubtful that BRZ or WRX would stop offering it anytime soon. Automotive apocalypse isn't likely to come to the Subaru lineup that soon.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Next 3 years is a bit too pessimistic. This global platform is pretty young and has multiple options for manual trans. Very doubtful that BRZ or WRX would stop offering it anytime soon. Automotive apocalypse isn't likely to come to the Subaru lineup that soon.
We shall bet ONE dollar!
So model year 2022, you bet $1 that Subaru will offer no cars with manual transmissions? I accept that bet.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Regarding mileage, I think the jury is still out on this one. The EPA mileage ratings are not based on real world driving ...
True, but in the fake world they are both tested under the same drive cycle and the CVT is noticeably more efecient. Just ask my wife :x.
These new CVT autos with seven computer controlled ratios finally feel like a normal automatic and have normal engine sounds. Even my wife likes it and she was insisting on a manual :surprise:. The manual makes sense to me only in a rural setting but not in the big smoke :|

From the Suspension Swap? thread:
I miss the manual, but the Impreza isn't a sports car and the advantages of the CVT outshine the manual with this particular vehicle.
Add to that Adaptive Cruise Control for long road trips with EyeSight features (that can be defeated) and better fuel economy, the CVT's a full win in its current state.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Regarding the original question - I've got a 5MT Sport and I find the gearbox to be fairly snicky. I've owned only Honda manuals previously and I consider them to be as good as any other gearbox on the market. I travel quite a bit internationally and 9 times out of 10 am able to get a manual gearbox in rental cars (got stuck with an automatic in Scandinavia a few months ago), so I've got a pretty good base for comparison.

If the Hondas are 10's, my Sport is at least an 8.5. Maybe a 9. My old 2011 Impreza was like a 6.

I believe the Sport has a different linkage than the other models, so a "standard" manual may be different.

As always, YMMV, so go try one for yourself.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts